We've started having tinker with the 2.0TDI 184PS

I ran mine for 4 months with no hassle and with consistant driving, I'm more than certain, infact definate that I red lined mine (occaisonally) in fact bounced the needle on miss shifts (I'm not advocating irresponsible driving before anyone chips in) on 4+3 in the colder months and it never brought on the coil lamp. So I guess that with others having the same results, we can again blame the weather...

Has anyone looked at derestricting the air flow into the air fiter box by removing all standard intake restrictive plastic blanking parts? I'm not getting into the whole air filter debate!!!! Just whether anybody had taken any notice of the inlet pipe arrangement?...

I haven't got round to putting it back down to 4+1 as my other half has put the box which had the torx screw in "somewhere safe" but can't remember where that safe place is. Luckily it's been fine today though and I've been driving it on the hard side. I'll see how I get on tomorrow but as soon as we find it I'll drop it back to be safe.

I ran mine for 4 months with no hassle and with consistant driving, I'm more than certain, infact definate that I red lined mine (occaisonally) in fact bounced the needle on miss shifts (I'm not advocating irresponsible driving before anyone chips in) on 4+3 in the colder months and it never brought on the coil lamp. So I guess that with others having the same results, we can again blame the weather...

Has anyone looked at derestricting the air flow into the air fiter box by removing all standard intake restrictive plastic blanking parts? I'm not getting into the whole air filter debate!!!! Just whether anybody had taken any notice of the inlet pipe arrangement?...

Sorry missed your post. Glad to see it's not just me massively miss shifting!

I haven't actually looked at the air intake at all to be honest as I assumed diesel cars are completely different to petrol in terms of air flow needed etc and weren't as demanding.

Edited by JamesVRSmk3

Well i'm still banking on the laws of physics, but perhaps you are right... I'm maybe barking up the wrong tree... This is the first turbo diesel I have owned, can someone please enlighten me...

Surely I can't be that dumb... :-)

Regards the plastic restrictive panel in the airbox, my tsi has similar, it has louvres set in a plastic moulded panel and I had seen a German video, showing this on the Golf Gti and throwing it unceremoniously in the bin. It definitely looks restrictive to me.

This popped out:

1 Fault Found:

5169 - Manifold Pressure / Boost Sensor (G31)

P0238 00 [032] - Signal too High

Intermittent - Not Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear

Freeze Frame:

Fault Status: 00000001

Fault Priority: 2

Fault Frequency: 2

Mileage: 23714 km

Date: 2000.00.00

Time: 00:00:00

Readiness: 0 0 0 0 0

Regards the plastic restrictive panel in the airbox, my tsi has similar, it has louvres set in a plastic moulded panel and I had seen a German video, showing this on the Golf Gti and throwing it unceremoniously in the bin. It definitely looks restrictive to me.

I think I'm going to take a closer inspection of mine, sure in the wetter months the restriction stops excessive moisture getting into the box, but in the dryer months (If we have such a thing), the blanks can come out...

Has anyone found it easier to stall on 4+1 having been on a higher setting?

This is probably a complete coincidence but since dropping to 4+1 I've stalled the car at least 5 times in 2 days! Very embarrassing. Not sure if it just hasn't got the instant oomph that 4+2 had and my right foot hasn't adjusted yet.

Funnily enough I did go straight to the site to have a look but at £200 I'm going to have a go and just trying to adjust my right foot...initially. Although if I stall again on the way home tonight I can see my bank account being £200 lighter by 7pm tonight

Funnily enough I did go straight to the site to have a look but at £200 I'm going to have a go and just trying to adjust my right foot...initially. Although if I stall again on the way home tonight I can see my bank account being £200 lighter by 7pm tonight

Ignore the website as existing customers receive any additional items at our trade prices James.

Has anyone found it easier to stall on 4+1 having been on a higher setting?

This is probably a complete coincidence but since dropping to 4+1 I've stalled the car at least 5 times in 2 days! Very embarrassing. Not sure if it just hasn't got the instant oomph that 4+2 had and my right foot hasn't adjusted yet.

This has actually happened to me also after returning to 4+1, but as you mention perhaps it is due to having to adjust to a different setting, out of interest, this actually hapened to me as I was about to accelerate again after slowing down nearly to a halt, not from a stand still start off...

James get a Pedalbox to go with you tuningbox, you'll never stall again.

I have had the pedal box fitted for 6 months now and as per above, I have stalled the car, so it is possible...

Having said that the pedal box is a neat bit of kit and does compliment the car, I was lucky enough to be able to run my car on 4+3 and pedal box set at Full Sport mode, now that did make a HUGE difference.

Give Andrew a call, I think he'll do some kinda repeat customer discount, he's a great guy.

Ignore the website as existing customers receive any additional items at our trade prices James.

Wow didn't know that. Cheers. I'll see how I get on this next week - made it home without stalling ;) I'm sure I'll be in contact though.

This has actually happened to me also after returning to 4+1, but as you mention perhaps it is due to having to adjust to a different setting, out of interest, this actually hapened to me as I was about to accelerate again after slowing down nearly to a halt, not from a stand still start off...

Exactly the same for me! As I was pulling out of a petrol station I slowed down to see what was coming the went to accelerate and just not enough power. The other incidents were similar.

Having said that the pedal box is a neat bit of kit and does compliment the car, I was lucky enough to be able to run my car on 4+3 and pedal box set at Full Sport mode, now that did make a HUGE difference.

4+3 AND a pedal box sounds like a dream. Hopefully when the colder weather sets back in I'll be able to put it back to 4+3.

Just ordered one (tuning box not pedal box), hoping for delivery tomorrow, very excited!!

Edited by accobra

Well we took our Skoda out today and it's been full if surprises..

As mentioned in the past we've never ever been able to run on anything other than plus 1... Today we've been using the same kit, same car, same map 4 on plus 2 and plus 3 without a fault code in site anywhere :(

Were planning on taking some VCDS logs later this week or next to see if we can make any sense if it all

Edited by Andrew@DTUK
  • Like 1