I've done over 20k now, never had the booming noise but suspension is still harsh, much firmer than SWMBOs Mk II Elegance which is like driving round in a hovercraft by comparison to the Octy III :rofl:

• Like 2

Obviously check the tyres, if you havent already, but id hazard a guess that the tyres are fine, like mine were.

The Octavia does have stiff suspension (surprised it hasnt been mentioned more times on here). I was shocked when I first picked up the vehicle, as it was awful. Rough roads were awful, and at one point experienced a massive jolt right through the vehicle when going over a fairly normal stretch of motorway at speed. Thankfully it does get better as the suspension loosens up, and after 1500 miles, the suspension is adequate. Not brilliant, but adequate. 

Im afraid you are likely going to have to live with it until the suspension loosens up.

I checked the tyres and found they were over inflated, all over 3.0 Bar instead of 2.2 Bar. It has made quite a difference in terms of the harshness of the ride on rough roads. It still doesn't compare to my previous Renault Laguna, but if the experience of others is anything to go by, it should improve after about 1500 miles. Hope so!

Don't know where the flaps/vents are, other than behind the bumper somewhere.

They're usually behind the bumper on the rear quarters, behind the rear wheels.

They're usually behind the bumper on the rear quarters, behind the rear wheels.

This is the most likely spot, as they were on the Mk1 I had. I'vehad the rear internal trim out of the boot on my Mk3 estate to adjust the estate door latch and there were  no valves/baffles there so probably to the side behind the rear three-quarter trim panels. Usually the system is a rectangular frame with a soft rubber flap and the whole thing is screwed to the body from the inside, so not difficult to access once the side trim panels in the boot are detached.

It still doesn't compare to my previous Renault Laguna

I've only ever driven one Renault Laguna, and the suspension was softer than the springs in my mattress.  Not sure it's a fair benchmark!

I've only ever driven one Renault Laguna, and the suspension was softer than the springs in my mattress.  Not sure it's a fair benchmark!

I take your point - you either like the softer ride of Renault or you don't. My last 11 cars have all been Renault and I wouldn't now be the owner of a Skoda if Renault hadn't axed the Laguna from their UK range. For me, the Octavia has a lot to live upto when compared to a Renault Laguna Initiale. I think the premium brand German cars are even less comfortable than the Octavia, which is why I don't own one. The Octavia is going to take some getting used to, but I've seen enough about it believe I will, in time.

I checked the tyres and found they were over inflated, all over 3.0 Bar instead of 2.2 Bar. It has made quite a difference in terms of the harshness of the ride on rough roads. It still doesn't compare to my previous Renault Laguna, but if the experience of others is anything to go by, it should improve after about 1500 miles. Hope so!

They will improve yes. Wont be brilliant, but it will be adequate. Just try and avoid any potholes.

You'll probably find the Octy rolls a lot less though. Mucheasier to drive because of this

• Like 1

I don't have the boom, but have just checked my tyre pressures, and all four tyres were at 42psi

Yikes!

I had this with mine, I think the PDI Monkeys must be going on the same training course and mixing up their PSIs with their BARs cos 2.2 BAR is about 32PSI and they seem to be translating that to 3.2 BAR. Quite the opposite to a Kwik Fit Fitter who recently fitted new tyres to the front wheels of SWMBOs MkII and when I checked the pressures, they had only put in 22PSI instead of 2.2BAR!!!

I had this with mine, I think the PDI Monkeys must be going on the same training course and mixing up their PSIs with their BARs cos 2.2 BAR is about 32PSI and they seem to be translating that to 3.2 BAR. Quite the opposite to a Kwik Fit Fitter who recently fitted new tyres to the front wheels of SWMBOs MkII and when I checked the pressures, they had only put in 22PSI instead of 2.2BAR!!!

Matt, think its time we set up out own dealership!

No PDI monkeys, no dodgy cleaners, proper technicians etc etc

• Like 1

Promised to update on my friends 'cabin pressure' and the results of fitting the ' baffle  kit'. 

After 10 months of Octavia ownership he has part exchanged for a superb  (he will not tell me the deal, however, has a smile on his face)

Sorry about the vague details, that's all I know - problem not fixed and car part exchanged

This is a big worry for me, present car great, however,  due for change next year - do I order a replacement or look to VW, Seat, etc? 

Not happy camper :(

I think the only way to be sure if there is actually a random issue here with the cars is for someone who has the booming noise and someone who hasn't to meet up and have a listen In each persons car? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hi Cheez

Nice video ! lol  no i do not have a spare wheel in my boot. just a polystyrene tray that sits in the gap where the wheel is suposed to go . might be able to borrow a wheel and see if it makes a difference. i did try emptying out the polystyrene tray and filling the gap and putting some weights in there but it made no difference.

• Like 1

Had my Vrs estate a day and can't hear anything exceptional except if I fold the raised floor slightly there is a slight increase in noise, " I think" or may just be a bit paranoid reading of this problem. Spare wheel fitted. Will be more sure after a bit more usage.

Looks like I've been lucky.

Collected car last week - 1.4TSI DSG Elegance Estate DSG with standard 7" wheels and Dunlop Sport Maxx.  Fitted with optional spare wheel.

No boom in the cabin noise experienced yet. IMHO suspension and ride no better or worse than my old Octy 2 - cannot comment on whether road noise has increased/decreased as I moved from a grumbly old 2.0 PD.  

Anyone know if this boom is only for the FWD cars?

As my dealer told me it is a different axle for the FWD and 4x4, torsion beam axle and multilink axle.

Maybe that has something to do about it?

Depends on the country but I know in Aus the Elegance 132TSI & 110TDI have the multilink suspension and all RS' get it no matter where you are. 4x4 may have a different suspension tune though.

After a lot of trying things out on my vrs i have now all but solved the boom problem in my car ! :rofl:  my car came without a spare wheel instead i had one of those inflation kits. so where the spare would go in the boot is a big polystyrene tray that sits in the hole. one of the things i did was to take this out and then put  a spare wheel in. i drove off and the booming has all but gone ! came back took the wheel out  and put the tray back in, drove off and the boom is back. so in my case it seems having the spare in the boot intstead of the tray seems to absorb the sound..needless to say a spare wheel is on order from my dealer !

The vents are on the side panels behind the bumper, above the level of the boot floor.

JsymVrs - do you get the booming without anything at all in the spare wheel well (so no wheel or polystyrene tray)?

It could just be the resonance of the spare wheel well?