Since my last post I have to note that the sound has completely gone as has the changes in pressure. I'm wondering is it down to seals needing time to 'settle' or break in. I have just over 5k put on the car and it's a dream to drive.

I'm very, very happy with my vrs. Best car I've ever had.

• Like 1

Yep, mine too. Commented before but I think once the car has loosened up,a bit, it disperses the more moves or does. I'm up to 3500 miles bow and all good.

These threads always worry Me.. ..got me a metallic grey 2.0 184hp 2015 mk 3 octy RS loving it..ex car showroom so had 3000km on clock..don't think sales were driving it correct cos in first week dpf light came up on dash ...a wee spin down the motorway as per manual sorted that out immediately. .but am eager to note I've noticed no boom sound in my baby...does it appear at certain intervals or is only in some vehicles cos I love my one and the metal grey polished with autoglynn gets a ridiculous amount of positive thumbs up and admiring looks..even sat in car parks and have seen chaps drive back to see what the he'll is that car...really am surprised at the attention and admiring looks..Happy camper overall as long as I don't get that booming..oh mines the hatch version.i belive March delivery/ reg. So only a few months old...just asking you guys as a lot of very experienced and knowledgeable people here giving good sane advice.

Thanks in advance.

Mark..aka Dubhman.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Edited by dubhman284
  • Like 1

Since my last post I have to note that the sound has completely gone as has the changes in pressure. I'm wondering is it down to seals needing time to 'settle' or break in. I have just over 5k put on the car and it's a dream to drive.

I'm very, very happy with my vrs. Best car I've ever had.

I hope this is the case with mine, a week old and pressure changes are awful on the ears, give headache etc. also the same for passengers. 

It is booked into the dealer on Tuesday, although after the initial meeting with them last week at which they denied being able to recognise a problem with my car and claimed it is not a recognised fault by Skoda UK, i do not hold out much hope for what they will achieve when they have it for the day. 

Did you or a dealer make any amends to your cars to help speed up the process of losing the "boom" foregonereality / Aldouk? 

My VRS hatchback has just been in for it's first service, I asked the dealer to look into the booming noises as my car has always suffered from it. When I collected the car they stated that the issue does exist in my car, Skoda are aware of a problem with cabin pressure/booming and showed me a document from Skoda which stated the noise was not due to suspension issues and that a fix is meant to be available in September.....apparently I will be contacted when the replacement parts are available, unfortunately the document didn't specify what the cause of the problem is and what the solution is going to be!

My VRS hatchback has just been in for it's first service, I asked the dealer to look into the booming noises as my car has always suffered from it. When I collected the car they stated that the issue does exist in my car, Skoda are aware of a problem with cabin pressure/booming and showed me a document from Skoda which stated the noise was not due to suspension issues and that a fix is meant to be available in September.....apparently I will be contacted when the replacement parts are available, unfortunately the document didn't specify what the cause of the problem is and what the solution is going to be!

My dealer has also claimed they can not hear / feel what i am talking about on my VRS and the problem doesn't exist. they have said it might be tyre noise. Which it isnt. Only had the car 3 weeks and the noise / vibration is driving me insane, worst car i have ever owned by a distance. Dont know where to go with it now i am imagining the problem, according to the dealer. 

hi

Which hankook tyres are fitted on your octavia? thanks in advance

My tyres are Hankook Ventus S1Evo2 tyres

Is this a new supplier to Skoda?

http://www.hankooktire-eu.com/tires/tire-presenter-single-view/view/singleView.html?aoetirepresenter%5Boffset%5D=0&aoetirepresenter%5Btire%5D=967&aoetirepresenter%5Bback%5D=216&cHash=0365725593f4fe48f9f9180330c7c5fc

• Like 1

I've never had an issue with the low frequency boom in my 1.8 TSI 4x4 Wagon.

I'm currently on holiday in the South Island of New Zealand and have hired a 3.5 l Toyota Highlander.  It certainly has occasional issues with a low frequency boom - not continuously but enough to be annoying. It's not just an Octavia issue.

My sympathies to those who have similar issues with their Octavias.

• Like 1

Without going through all 662 replies....was there any combis affected by the booming or was it a hatch issue?

I wonder if the below change was to help?

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/362269-bootlid-plastic-panel-finish-on-inside/

Apparently it would appear seemingly randomly on all types of Octavias. No obvious connection with any particular spec. Most people don't seem to have a problem, or aren't sensitive to it. Some people have good results from adjusting tailgate stoppers, others from tyre changes, or new shocks. Some people can't get any improvement.

I noticed a booming briefly for a couple hundred kms shortly after getting the car, then it went away.

• Like 1

I test drove a combi no boom. Then test drove a hatch, boom. Both "64" plates, so new cars almost. Found the hatch almost unbearable on the test drive. Get my car delivered later this month. VRS TDi combi, I have everything crossed that I won't be unlucky.

Hi,

Thought I'd share my experience. Just bought an ex-demo 15 plate vrs tsi hatch and noticed the "booming noise". Not that bad, just a bit irritating. After reading all this thread (phew), I thought I'd have a look at the tailgate stoppers. Before doing anything, I pressed down on either end of the spoiler (with the hatch closed) and noticed the passenger side moved up and down a few mm's. The drivers side was ok.

I had a look at the stoppers and they were both in the low position, so I adjusted both of them as high as possible. I also unscrewed the bump stops on the tailgate 1/2 turn as well. This didn't seem to make any difference to how the hatch closed, or the panel alignment, but made a BIG improvement to the booming noise. The car is definitely quieter now. Incidentally, if you unscrew to bump stops too far, the hatch won't close without slamming it....

My guess is that the rear screen is acting as a large "speaker cone" if the hatch can move a bit, which generates the booming sound?

• Like 3

Hi,

Thought I'd share my experience. Just bought an ex-demo 15 plate vrs tsi hatch and noticed the "booming noise". Not that bad, just a bit irritating. After reading all this thread (phew), I thought I'd have a look at the tailgate stoppers. Before doing anything, I pressed down on either end of the spoiler (with the hatch closed) and noticed the passenger side moved up and down a few mm's. The drivers side was ok.

I had a look at the stoppers and they were both in the low position, so I adjusted both of them as high as possible. I also unscrewed the bump stops on the tailgate 1/2 turn as well. This didn't seem to make any difference to how the hatch closed, or the panel alignment, but made a BIG improvement to the booming noise. The car is definitely quieter now. Incidentally, if you unscrew to bump stops too far, the hatch won't close without slamming it....

My guess is that the rear screen is acting as a large "speaker cone" if the hatch can move a bit, which generates the booming sound?

Hi would you mind posting a photograph of the stoppers as you have them? 

Mine seems a lot worse sometimes than others, maybe linked to how forcefully i closed the boot? i dunno, clutching at straws i think. 

Hi,

They're exactly the same as the photos in post #87 in this thread. I think it was adjusting the one's on the side of the hatch opening, that made the difference. Also unscrewing the stoppers (in the bottom edge of the hatch) an extra turn, meant it didn't shut properly, so I guess this adjustment is pretty sensitive.

• 3 weeks later...

No It can´t, i tried to push and pull or even hit the pipe with no sound or vibrations. The fixing is made of some rubber, so it dampens vibrations from exhaust pipe quite good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No It can´t, i tried to push and pull or even hit the pipe with no sound or vibrations. The fixing is made of some rubber, so it dampens vibrations from exhaust pipe quite good.

You are right...I did the same test.

The only problem is excessive seal that produces the tailgate. When you close the door and you're in, it is clear that however much they seek solutions other hand, what you need to solve is the pressure. I think only work the gate change tires for a finer.

It has cost me much effort the foreman of vw understood the problem, but when it did, immediately after the adjusted closing the tailgate. the door made the adjustment in a higher position. Now the noise has been reduced by approximately 40%.

I think now the next step that can only come from Skoda. I think the only thing that can solve this problem is to provide a rubber boot setting that has a less sharp adjustment. Another solution could be a different hinges of the gate or a different close.

• Like 1

6023a124d6e5fdf0cef7b0833350ae7f.jpg

the place where sits upper side of shock absorber. Rear seat is locked to the same part of chassis. Shock could generate even tiny resonances and this part could conduct vibrations to rear seats and to boot-floor as well

• Like 3