3 hours ago, WallMeerkat said:

My issue is not rev related, not road speed related - it occurs at any speed from about 30mph onwards and at any rev.

It's as if the whole bootlid is vibrating. If someone tries to open a rear window there is HORRIFIC buffeting and they end up having to close it again.

I've tried and tried and tried and tried and tried to adjust the bootlid, but NOTHING helps.

Otherwise its a good car, I just have to try and ignore this annoying vibration.

Uncomfortable pressure variations (buffeting) from opening a window is a common feature on many recent and aerodynamic cars (0.34 cd or better) that did not occur on the old slab designed vehicles of the 1970's (with cd of 0.45 or worse). The idea being to maintain laminar air flow close to the body, however the Octavia IS probably one of the worst I have encountered.

I've found the solution, as such, is to open the diagonally opposite window and that way you get fresh air circulating without the uncomfortable buffeting effects.

You sure your vibration problem is not a (rear?) wheel balance issue? Maybe some lead weights have fallen off?

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone here had any luck with Skoda buying back their vehicles due to the boom and air pressure build up?

My car has gotten worse in the last couple of months. Previously it would sort it self to a bearable level with slamming the trunk, but now it seems that this only works for a short period of time. Passing a bump triggers my car to start booming and sometimes the whole thing feels like you have a helicopter in the trunk. I'm leasing mine, and I frankly can't stand it anymore. It was at the shop for 2 weeks for this issue.  I've had one mechanic with me in the car, who acknowledged the problem, and another one working on my car who also acknowledged it. They returned it to me after checking the balance of my wheels, tried another set of wheels on it, checked the alignment of the stops and also the air vents in the cargo area. They also drove it for 150 km.. When they were out of luck trying to fix it, they found another car on their lot who acted like mine, and said it's a design feature of the RS, which of course is BS. They now say they've done everything they can with my car, and that I should just accept it as is. 

7 hours ago, crixen said:

Has anyone here had any luck with Skoda buying back their vehicles due to the boom and air pressure build up?

My car has gotten worse in the last couple of months. Previously it would sort it self to a bearable level with slamming the trunk, but now it seems that this only works for a short period of time. Passing a bump triggers my car to start booming and sometimes the whole thing feels like you have a helicopter in the trunk. I'm leasing mine, and I frankly can't stand it anymore. It was at the shop for 2 weeks for this issue.  I've had one mechanic with me in the car, who acknowledged the problem, and another one working on my car who also acknowledged it. They returned it to me after checking the balance of my wheels, tried another set of wheels on it, checked the alignment of the stops and also the air vents in the cargo area. They also drove it for 150 km.. When they were out of luck trying to fix it, they found another car on their lot who acted like mine, and said it's a design feature of the RS, which of course is BS. They now say they've done everything they can with my car, and that I should just accept it as is. 

No one has ever got Skoda to buy back their vehicle for the this problem unless it was under  normal trade-in at market prices.

How old and what distance travelled on your car? Is it still under warranty? I think you can generally only reject within a certain time of delivery and failure to rectify but it depends on your local consumer laws or whether you have some sort of ombudsman you can appeal to.

Have you read this thread all the way through? There have been several different causes identified and various fixes applied.

Based on your description I would not have thought the wheels were likely to be the problem, so they probably wasted their time there.

Have your mechanics spoken to Skoda head office about your problems?

Did they at least change the trunk surrounding rubber seal (that has worked in a couple of cases) at relatively low cost.

My Octavia 1.4tsi dsg is now 18 months old and done only 8000 km. 

From the start, I loved the car except for a booming noise, which I sometimes think I don't notice any more. 

At first, it drove me nuts and I tried everything. Lots of extra insulation, bootlid adjustments, etc. No joy. 

Then I read a lot about the research into Tyre Cavity 

Resonance which I posted about some time ago. I am convinced this is the problem, with mine anyway. I'll tell you why. 

The frequency of my noise is 220 hz, the same as the researchers found. 

The lane ouside my gate, which I use to drive to and from my house, is surfaced with small rough stones but much bigger than gravel. 

As soon as I am on this surface, even at crawling speed, the noise starts at full volume as the stones crunch under the tyres! 

Nothing will convince me that, in my case, it is other than the tyres. 

Some manufacturers are making tyres now to combat this resonance by building a special foam layer inside the tyre. 

I look forward to changing to these one day, or at least changing my Dunlop Sportmaxx RT2 for maybe Goodyear Asymetric 3.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi chellaman

Could I ask , how did you measure the frequency of this noted noise.  Yes its driving nuts to.

I am about to fit some winter tyres on a set of second hand alloys of standard rims. we'll see.

My motor has done 30,000 uk miles and are only half worn. I need ear defenders really.  Goodyears seem a good choice.

I love this car but this feature is not good.

Just picked up on this thread ahead of me perhaps ordering a new Octavia or Superb or something else.

Also noticed that new hatches are being delivered with a small boot spoiler which suggests that Skoda has recognised an aerodynamic flaw (e.g turbulence forming) in the rear airflow. This may be a solution to the "pressure" problem?

20171112_152414.jpg

Picture courtesy of the 1.5tsi owners thread.

http://www.autozine.org/technical_school/aero/tech_aero.htm

Edited by xman

Certainly an interesting aerodynamic detail that may be more than just a fashion trim, but I'd be surprised if it had any real effect on the problems reported in this thread.

The problems fall into a couple of categories that may overlap; noise and pressure both of which seem more related to the quality of the road surface than speed.

Still might help someone and unlikely to do any harm. Doesn't look bad either.

I've seen a few facelift models now, but haven't noticed the rear spoiler.

Is it trim dependent, or an option?

Wouldn't see it affecting interior pressure, unless it is filled with lead of sufficient weight to maybe weigh down the bootlid tightly shut (and would need uprated boot struts!).

The Octavia doesn't seem to suffer dangerous aerodynamics like early Sierras or Audi TTs.

Hello prichards1234,

I didn't measure the frequency as such, but simply used an app noise generator to compare. 

It's surprising how easy it is to hear close similarity at those low frequencies. 

Tried to replicate the boom sound ( the one which pains/hurt eardrums) with use of some stupid app for iPhone, some tone generator. Iphone headphone jack connected to AUX-in the ŠKODA infotainment system ( jack-jack cable) With playing various frequencies, I found 36Hz causes the resonance of the cabin, or whole car and causes me the same painful feeling....

Definitely is significantly related to the tires. On black one (2.0 TDI with a beam) broom exploded after switching to a winter set. On summer set, I was not sure whether I hear it or imagining, but with old Ultragrip back from 2014, ears hurt.

White one is supersilent. P-Zero is a bit noisy with temperatures below 10 Celsius, but no resonance on a chassis. 

Hello All. I have 1.4 petrol manual estate Octavia which I bought new. For the first 6 months or so I haven't noticed the squeaking noise, but then it started to notice it and now it's really annoying. What I've noticed that if I look through forward the sound is there, but if I turn my head left, the sound is gone (obviously I can't drive like that lol). The thing I've tried which helped me to eliminate the noise was to lower the back seat (single one), or have someone on the back seat. I hope that will help someone

22 hours ago, T4nk said:

Hello All. I have 1.4 petrol manual estate Octavia which I bought new. For the first 6 months or so I haven't noticed the squeaking noise, but then it started to notice it and now it's really annoying. What I've noticed that if I look through forward the sound is there, but if I turn my head left, the sound is gone (obviously I can't drive like that lol). The thing I've tried which helped me to eliminate the noise was to lower the back seat (single one), or have someone on the back seat. I hope that will help someone

Sounds like your issue is maybe the seat rattling against the catch, maybe give it a good slam or put some insulating tape around the catch loop.

I've had seats up and down, passengers etc. and makes no difference in mine. Mine sounds like the whole bootlid is vibrating.

• 1 month later...

I have been doing some research and it appears that Skoda have changed the design of the side boot buffers / catches. 

The revised parts look more substantial!!

Waiting to to find out part numbers. 

Thanks to new member Uktotty for the photos. 

My my car is the quartz grey and uktotty is the red - both vRs hatchbacks. Mine is 2015 and there’s is 67. EC9D8CEC-D084-404C-901C-BE8D4B63688E.thumb.jpeg.49bf844a6538390f841cb3decf98a63c.jpeg2BD347EE-FE8E-4D04-B9D6-3B9C254DBC2C.thumb.jpeg.39b53465b08617b6063c4264c75e69e4.jpeg

8F76E9C5-9731-4990-A32A-28311B7962F9.jpeg

317005E0-DDEC-4167-86D6-0A02354C4987.jpeg

Edited by Rybu79
Add photis
  • Like 1

On 12/11/2017 at 19:05, xman said:

Just picked up on this thread ahead of me perhaps ordering a new Octavia or Superb or something else.

Also noticed that new hatches are being delivered with a small boot spoiler which suggests that Skoda has recognised an aerodynamic flaw (e.g turbulence forming) in the rear airflow. This may be a solution to the "pressure" problem?

20171112_152414.jpg

Picture courtesy of the 1.5tsi owners thread.

http://www.autozine.org/technical_school/aero/tech_aero.htm

My car in the picture - a 1.5 TSi. The aerofoil is not an option but fitted to the 1.5 and AFAIK not to the 1.4. Don't know about other models.

I have the same issues with a booming/droning noise between 50-75 mph and more pronounced on smoother motorway. A member rightly called it saw-toothing which was correct.

I fixed the issue yesterday with lowering springs, a full four wheel alignment and new rear tyres. Also fitted a set of spacers for good measure. 

toe was out on both sides which is common on VWs as well i believe.

On 15/01/2018 at 18:21, Rybu79 said:

I have been doing some research and it appears that Skoda have changed the design of the side boot buffers / catches. 

The revised parts look more substantial!!

Waiting to to find out part numbers. 

Thanks to new member Uktotty for the photos. 

My my car is the quartz grey and uktotty is the red - both vRs hatchbacks. Mine is 2015 and there’s is 67. EC9D8CEC-D084-404C-901C-BE8D4B63688E.thumb.jpeg.49bf844a6538390f841cb3decf98a63c.jpeg2BD347EE-FE8E-4D04-B9D6-3B9C254DBC2C.thumb.jpeg.39b53465b08617b6063c4264c75e69e4.jpeg

8F76E9C5-9731-4990-A32A-28311B7962F9.jpeg

317005E0-DDEC-4167-86D6-0A02354C4987.jpeg

Be intrested in some of those too,  if they work.

• 1 month later...

See my previous posting above! 

I have adjusted the boot latch so tighter and adjusted rubber knobs on base of boot 

I have got hold of the buffers that are being fitted to the facelift model. 

I always noticed the rear boot seemed to be poorly supported and heavy. 

They are a straight swap over - more substantial support on the sides. 

My booming has gone!

Which makes me think Skoda changed the part for the facelift model due to complaints - a conspiracy maybe? 

Around £14 for parts. 

Also found reference in a TPI 

if complaint about pressure (blocked ears type feeling ) Skoda dealer should send technical query about door closures 

I can get parts number from packaging tomorrow if anyone wishing to try this mod and see if it works for you??

hope this helps

8 hours ago, Rybu79 said:

See my previous posting above! 

I have adjusted the boot latch so tighter and adjusted rubber knobs on base of boot 

I have got hold of the buffers that are being fitted to the facelift model. 

I always noticed the rear boot seemed to be poorly supported and heavy. 

They are a straight swap over - more substantial support on the sides. 

My booming has gone!

Which makes me think Skoda changed the part for the facelift model due to complaints - a conspiracy maybe? 

Around £14 for parts. 

Also found reference in a TPI 

if complaint about pressure (blocked ears type feeling ) Skoda dealer should send technical query about door closures 

I can get parts number from packaging tomorrow if anyone wishing to try this mod and see if it works for you??

hope this helps

Yes please part numbers would be good for many.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rybu79 said:

Require 2 of each part number

5JA827250B

&

5JA827249B

Thanks Rybu79

The parts numbers come up as Rapid stoppers too, in case people can't find them as Octavia

57 minutes ago, WillM82 said:

Thanks Rybu79

The parts numbers come up as Rapid stoppers too, in case people can't find them as Octavia

Yes - the parts man took the parts of a facelift vRs and got the parts numbers. 

Said they were also installed on the rapid. 

Edited by Rybu79