56 minutes ago, Michaeldavis39 said:

Yep £481 so far but it's less than the money I would have lost if I just sold the car and bought something else and it would not have been a Skoda after this experience hence reason for doing it.

Michael

Hi Michael

Thank you for the pictures.

Where did you buy the damper and does it have a part number?

/Thomas

Just to remind people who have a 2wd multilink rear...so VRS & L&K...you can bolt on to the existing holes the part that was made for that rear subframe...all info here in the how to guide I wrote on the MK7 Golf forum

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-to-retro-fit-the-rear-subframe-harmonic-damper-from-the-audi-a3-saloon-2013.369369/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just drove my car with half the back seat folded down because I had a long item to carry and the noise was awful- clearly this nvh is coming from around the rear suspension area and into the boot. In the summer I'm going to be pulling interior panels off and sound deadening the wheel arches then squirting more of the expanding foam - never, ever had this awful noise in any car in the past 34 years unbelievable.

I've just part/ex my 14 plate vrs for a 18 plate vrs with 19 extremes...

My old vrs had the ' cabin boom ' that used to do my head in at times lol

My 18 plate is so quiet, even with the bigger 19s on....its hard to believe that the noise difference, could be so different on 2 different cars...

Its like night and day ! 

3 hours ago, studmuffin said:

I've just part/ex my 14 plate vrs for a 18 plate vrs with 19 extremes...

My old vrs had the ' cabin boom ' that used to do my head in at times lol

My 18 plate is so quiet, even with the bigger 19s on....its hard to believe that the noise difference, could be so different on 2 different cars...

Its like night and day ! 

Agreed. It’s so much quieter than prefacelift and feels so much more sophisticated. I had a horrible time with my prefacelift vrs and worried about coming back to the fold but my fears unfounded.

1 hour ago, Michaeldavis39 said:

No follow up to my question? Can the owners of facelift MK3 cars not shed a light on why their cars are so much quieter than the MK3 cars please?

Michael

I think ?

dampers were changed (read softened) 

more sound deadening in the roof liner

they added rear wheel spacers

• 2 weeks later...

I can try and see what dampers my FL has but it probably won't help as it's also got DCC ;)

The FL vRS doesn't get spacers per se, but it has got a wider rear track compared to the pre-FL - I don't know if the same applies to non-vRS variants.

The MK3 and MK4 are based on different platforms (1st gen MQB vs MQB Evo) so I'm not sure the dampers will be interchangeable.

You could try and find a FL VIN online, get the PR-codes and then use one of the various online parts catalogues to check which dampers it should have?

The original Skoda catalogue is a much better place to start as there are 10's of options for the dampers depending on car spec.

7zap is good but they don't seem to be showing the PR codes any more so it's hard to know what each damper would be fitted to.

• 5 months later...

2 weeks of ownership of my preFL VRS230, and I can't seem to get rid of the boom.

Have adjusted the hatch bump stops, but not sure it's made much of a difference.

I was hoping I'd get used to it, but it's becoming unbearable, even for passengers.

Not sure a resolve has achieved in these 60 pages of thread?

Noms the boom in my car is a lot better, not the best but bearable thankfully. If you read back in what i have done and do the same yourself you will achieve same result- a lot of time, money and effort but well worth it if you want to keep the car - cheaper actually than trading it back in for a facelift model which was my alternative - i too had not had my car very long before i discovered this awful noise.

Michael

Boomy noise FIXED in my Octavia mk3 estate.

I’m not really one for posting on forums and such like but I’d just like to share my experience with others so they could try the fix I have done to cure the boomy sound in the rear of my Octavia 2.0 diesel estate.

On way home from work fri afternoon, just joined m1 got up to approx 75-80, an almighty pressure built up in whole of cabin, thought my ear drums were about to explode. Initially thought it was 1.0L Fiesta boy racer in front with big exhaust, but after I had passed him the noise was still there.

Sounding like a split exhaust down pipe I carefully nursed car home below 70 where the sound subsided. Once off m1 in stop start traffic with windows down I could hear no noise......strange. Once I had got home I got a brand new tea towel off the missus and proceeded to hold it over the exhaust while engine running to see if exhaust was blowing. To my amazement there were no leaks from the exhaust. Now I was really scratching my head.

Then I proceeded to search this forum, and to my horror I found this thread at 60 pages long!! All relating to people’s fixes wether it be suspension, tyres, rubber bumper stops etc. Before trying any of these fixes I drove the car for a bit and just like most of people are saying, it’s a boomy noise at any speed, and also the pressure problem like the rear windows are down.

Anyway what fixed it for me was....

....cleaned boot in spare tyre well thoroughly to ensure no d debris rattling about

....laid 2x 4mm carpet underlay under spare tyre and securely tightened it back down

....cut 2x 4mm underlay and laid it under the existing boot liner in between the spare wheel

.... cut some 4mm rubber strips and positioned them behind the boot bumper stops

....also put some underlay behind the rear plastic boot trim near where the latch is

after all this I took the car out and it was back to being as quiet as normal, minus the road noise.

i promise pics will soon follow.

hope this helps a few people out.

Just to refresh, I’ve had my Octavia mk3 estate, se trim, dsg, 150bhp for approx 3yrs now without much problem, apart from the fuel line rattle, (now sorted), I was so relieved when these few fixes actually worked for me, and my car is now back to normal.

• Like 1

Oh I forget to add, I almost never go past half way on the fuel level, for some reason last week I really couldn’t be bothered to go to the petrol station to fill up resulting in my fuel level being at approx 1/3 full when my booming problems started...coincidence???

possibly may have something to do with an emptier fuel tank than normal?? You can make your own mind up on that one.

anyway I hope this may help some people with the same problems I had.

all the best

So youve covered over the spare wheel i see- if i did this on my hatch the carpet cover wouldnt fit but thanks for showing us. The booming noise i had has gone doing the things i did along with most of the droning which these cars suffer from over certain rough road surfaces hence fitting the dampers on the rear beam which i did too. Have you driven your car over a rough country road yet to see if youve got rid of the droning??

Yes I took the car out on a variety of road surfaces for around half an hour. Sound was as normal at all times. Previously the booming noise was there driving above 20mph at all times. I was keen on supplying some pics as I hadn’t actually seen any fixes for the rear boot stops for the estate only the hatch.

• 1 year later...

Hello. I thought I'd record my experience with a '14 plate 1.2 TSI Octavia estate I bought recently - the low, booming noise was unbearable at all speeds except 0 (or on a very smooth, new road), like sitting inside a subwoofer, so, having found this thread, cut my losses and returned it to the dealership and got a refund. I'd test-driven '11 and '12 plate Octavia estates with no issues, so I bought the '14 one online and had it delivered without testing it first. Not sure if it's relevant, but the spare wheel was missing - might have made matters worse? In any case, a shame because it drove really nicely and I was really impressed with the engine on the car.

• Like 1