Yeti Owners' Winter Driving Tips

Trev96

I wondered if it would be useful to others if we had a thread on snow/ice driving with contributions from those owners who had to regularly use their YETI in adverse conditions in winters past. I am thinking of specifically YETI 2/4WD with the use of the 'Off-Road' & 'ESP-Off' buttons.

I think tyre choice has been sufficiently covered in previous threads.

Perhaps if there is enough interest shown Admin could make it a sticky thread just for the winter months .

What do you think?

& 'ESP-Off' buttons.

That button is meant to turn off/on ASR (traction control system), to be precise. ESP can only be disabled by taking the corresponding fuse out. You may consider it the first tip :)

The normal yeti ASR/ESP system should be left operational in "normal" winter driving. Turning off the ASR is only useful in really deep snow, when you need wheelspin to throw the white stuff away to get/keep moving.

• Like 3

Actually, I think the stay at home suggestion is a very sensible one.

I would suggest - always clear as much snow as possible off your car before starting any journey - it represents a risk to other drivers around you.

Have at least a snow shovel, torch, emergency blanket, bottle of water and chocolate bar in the car in case you get stranded.

I don't claim to be a "winter driver" but over the years I have accumulated experience in our fairly rare snow episodes.

If I have to go out then Drive SMOOTH is my mantra but I try to do that all the time. :hi:

What continues to surprise and annoy me is the number of drivers who I see with misted up windows and screens in everyday conditions. I keep a squeegee in the car and it only takes a few seconds to clear the outside of the screen and windows whilst the air-con is doing the same inside. I prefer to clearly see what other drivers are doing whilst they peer through a small cleared gap in the screen. :devil:

Fred

• Like 2

Freedie's tip #1. Difficulty pulling away? Don't use the throttle at all. Let the anti-stall set the car going and then smoothly pick up the throttle when the car is already moving.

Freedie's tip #2. Even if you don't normally have them sounding, turn on the OPS beeps loudly.

Freedie's tip #3. Spade, boots (or wellies) and warm coat ALWAYS in the car.

I've just ordered one of these avalanche shovels. It takes up very little room and is sturdy and light. It's made by Mammut, a high quality Swiss company.

A nice pressie from those who don't know what to get you for Xmas. A reasonable price for a quality product, £30 from Amazon.

Mammut Alugator super light shovel.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shovels-Probes-Mammut-Alugator-Shovel/dp/B00FP32ACS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1386282103&sr=8-4&keywords=alugator

31MFqXg4lCL.jpg

.......oh yeah, plus £8 delivery!

Edited by ParaYeti
  • Like 1

Got a similar sort of thing from screwfix last year.

Extendable handle so no breaking back after shovelling snow off the drive. Fits well in the boot too.

Good idea to share tips on this concept.

The off-road button is really of limited benefit in snow, in my experience, though it does limit the tendency to use too much welly and thus induce wheelspin! It does have a place in descending a slope, which is, of course, the most tricky situation in snow and ice. (And on ice - nothing really helps!!)

Up in these beautiful hills with steep wooded valleys the snow can vary from one corner to the next and from one hill to another. I found that when going UP, you need to have a touch more forward momentum than you might feel is appropriate in order to make it up to the top. Also, turning the traction control off can make a huge difference. I discovered this when attempting one particular twisty rise, and all four wheels got a bit of a spin on - and the system immediately and without any forethought slammed the anchors onto each wheel, resulting in a VERY scary stall of the engine, and a slip slide this way and that! Upon reflection, of course, I ended up quite impressed at the sheer speed of response - once I had cleaned myself up!

I posted a comment back in Feb March this year (2013) when, in the new 'Berb I had progressed successfully for a great way up onto The Epynt - part of the Army Range locally - when the sheer depth of snow became daft and I turned back - to find a warning light flashing. I think it was the ESR or related light, and there seemed to be a sinister smell to accompany it. After a while, and a cooling off period, all became well again, to my huge relief. Perhaps THAT occasion was one where I should've heeded LlaniG's advice, and stayed home with the mulled wine and the cat!