Yeti 110 bhp diesel

Smudger64

we have the 110 diesel in our Yeti, I find it perfectly good for all types of driving and it seems to have all the power I want, however I did come to the yeti from driving a 1.2l 68bhp VW Polo. we have the 4x4 version with 6 gears which is good for motorway cruising. We get around 42.5 mpg at the moment but the yeti is only 2 months old.

On my 2nd one at the minute. Great car and engine. Enough grunt when needed and capble of really decent MPG when required. I reckon I've averaged between 47.5-49mpg accross both Yetis, covered about 60k miles in almost 4 years. Both were 2wd

I have a 4 wheel drive 110 also, I can't complain about the performance. One of my reasons for originally going with the 110 bhp Yeti was that I thought the fuel economy would be better over it's more powerful sisters, but that does not seem to be the case. Also I think the brakes are better on more powerful models, don't get me wrong, I'm used to my car now so I know what to expect, but my previous car that only had discs at the front and rear drums definitely could come to a halt quicker in an emergency stop.

Edited by jeep

Yup!  Our family runs a 110 CR TDi 2WD.  Plenty of torque for most situations, and with over 8 months / 13,500 miles now it has averaged 46mpg of mixed urban, rural and motorway driving, mostly with "Our Lass" at the wheel.  It was also chosen to be slightly less expensive to insure with two drivers under 25 on the drivers list, compared to the higher bhp versions.

Personally, I find it does lack just a little grunt, but that's probably because I'm spoiled by the 330d BMW that is my own "daily drive", as that has enough torque to pull a plough!  (But Insurers won't entertain it for the younger drivers in the family - understandably). The 110 I also find slightly easy to stall unless you give the turbo half a second to spool up.  Like a previous post, I also find I would prefer a higher gear for motorway work as around 70mph does seem to slug the fuel consumption a bit.  Not sure based on info from other threads if the 6-speed manual actually delivers that though, or just closer ratios with the same overall gearing in 6th. It does feel as though it would pull a higher ratio happily though. The Yeti was preceded by a Renault Grand Scenic dCI 130. When fully loaded you do just notice the lack of the extra 20bhp that the RenOh had, but not for most day to day driving.  A 140 would be perfect for me - but not sure about the insurance effects.

In terms of smoothness, its quite fine (good engine mount technology I suspect). Better than the Renault and not far from the 6 cyl Beemer until that warms up, then there's no comparison!

The Yeti still suits 99% of the time and Our Lass loves it.  So for that reason alone it has to be the Right Choice for our family,

Edited by FlintstoneR1

We're on our second 2WD 110 TDi, manual - it takes me everywhere we want to go, returns around 50mpg and is quite capable of breaking all the speed limits (should we so desire, of course).

Unlike some others, I've not had a problem with stalling and I don't notice any turbo lack - certainly nothing like previous vehicles. 

I've had the 110 2WD for 2.5 years and also use it for towing a small caravan. Fuel consumption is excellent (see my signature file below) and power is OK except that I came from a 1.9Tdi and the power is delivered differently. It can be easy to stall and you mustn't let the revs too low in top gear otherwise the juddering will loosen your fillings. :happy:

Having said that I've just test driven a 140DSG and ordered one!

Fred

I have a 110 SE 4x4. I was used to the power having had a 110bhp Citroen before the Yeti.  The power is fine and has enough to get you out of trouble when required.  Fuel economy has been OK after 18,000 miles.  I’ve not had a problem with stalling and the engine is certainly smooth, although a little slow to warm up.  I would have no issues in ordering another 110 when I come to change this one or in recommending this engine to someone else.  I understand that the FL 110 has a five speed gearbox though.

I think you might just notice a difference, Fred... :thumbup:

I agree with Brijo.

I've gone from a 110 4x4 manual to the 140DSG 4x4

Quite a difference in performance from standstill. Plant your foot and it just digs in and goes. No loss of acceleration changing gear like you would in the manual.

More power for overtaking at motorway speeds too.

I loved the 110, agree with many of the others above re economy and refined drive. Over 3 years my average consumption was 46.5.

I've had the 140 since July and only covered 3000 miles but the average consumption is slightly worse at 41 mpg.

I find it curious that when trying to drive frugally the average mpg figure drops to 38ish.

If I drive with a bit more gusto, the mpg figure goes up ?

I'm thinking that's because the engine isn't benefitting from the turbo at low revs during gentle acceleration, but does with the higher revs of accelerating more briskly.

that 140HP version is remmaped 110HP anyway right?

I figure less powerful engine willbe more durable.

Doesn't follow, as it has to work harder to do the same job. The 110 has smaller brakes as well.

The 140 in my opinion is the better choice of the 2, as it is less stressed and has better brakes. But others will disagree :D

Ok more than happy with my 110, it has a race tech(chip) box fitted giving slightly more than 140, it solved stalling when cold probs, ironed out the smoothness of the lump, they when new being tuned for max enconomy with a std map, and all engines vary wrt the mapping!

This past week at French autoroute linits the car returned more than 55mpg with an indicated figure of 61 - 62mpg - the car was loaded with 2 x large rc boats a 60lb dog herself and luggage for a weekend. Similar figs for a french / uk visit also this week, but only 1 up!

that 140HP version is remmaped 110HP anyway right?

I figure less powerful engine willbe more durable.

My understanding is that the 110 is a detuned 140. :giggle:

If it develops its power in an easier manner then that's less stress.

Fred

Just reread RHs reply and agree with his comments.

Got a 2wd 110bhp. As others have stated, the lack of a 6th gear is noticeable at times and stalling at slower speeds in higher gears is a bigger issue than in any other car I've had. Also, I would say that it isn't nearly as refined (the engine that is) than my last car, especially at slower speeds (although the Yeti is pretty well insulated and quiet in the cabin most of the time, so it's not a biggie). My last car was an Accord with the i-cdti 138bhp diesel, so I guess I was a bit spoilt in the refinement stakes...

Good points? Plenty. 45 to 55 mpg average (only had the car since the start of October this year but done 4000 miles!) More than powerful enough for my needs, pulls out of junctions quickly, cruises comfortably at 70 to 80 etc. Half the insurance group (and almost price!) of my last car, i.e. it's only group 12. I'm more than happy.

Edited by fastestlouigie

^^^ The box above costs around £130 from germany, an expense well worth the bother as it just plugs into the engine loom,, so, easy to remove and less of a problem than remap of the onboard engine control system if engine warranty work reqd!!

It takes the performance into a higher league, as had need to restore the original system recently and the drop was very noticeable!

I have only been driving my 110bhp since the end of October, currently 1800 miles. I have stalled it twice, both times it was coming to a RAB. I don't think it is quite so forgiving if the speed drops a bit low for the gear I am in. Having been used to a 1.6 petrol, I have just assumed it is my inexperience with this engine. I now make sure I drop down a gear a little earlier and the car seems to be happier with me! :happy:

I had a 2wd 110, and I couldn't fault it for refinement or fuel economy. My only niggle was that it felt just a little bit underpowered, especially 4 up. I have a 140 now. Lots of power, but fuel economy nowhere near as good. You pays yer money...

I have a 2WD 110 BHP Yeti Urban and have covered around 26K miles. The engine performs adequately and is certainly a marked improvement over the 1.6 CR TDi (105 BHP) in the 2011 Roomster it replaced.

Fuelly (link below) tells me I've filled it up 56 times since July 2012, at a staggering total cost of £3631.14 :@  (14p / mile). I've averaged mid 40's MPG (best 55.5 mpg / worst 37.2 mpg).

I've personally found the 2.0 TDi much more tractable, smoother and quieter than the 1.6 CR TDi , despite very similar power outputs.

I've driven both the 140 BHP and 170 BHP versions and will probably look to one of those, when the time comes to change the car.

My other car is a petrol (28 mpg / 23p per mile) and when driving one after the other I never cease to be amazed how much smoother, quieter and more refined the petrol engine is, in direct comparison with the diesel in the Yeti. I guess the ultimate for mewould be a 1.8 TSi petrol Yeti.

I did run a manual 1.2 TSi Yeti for 1 year / 10K miles and found that OK, although relatively poor on fuel and quite rattly when starting from cold (? timing chain).

With reference to several earlier posts - I don't recall ever finding the car especially easy to stall.

The 5 speed box in the 2WD is however significantly "clunkier" than the 6 speed unit found in the 4WD versions. The revs in 5th in the 2WD 110 BHP are broadly similar to those in 6th in a 4WD (110 / 140 / 170 BHP).

I drove up to Essex from Exmoor  yesterday and it was me, a Golden retriever in the boot and the car loaded to the gunnels with  dog luggage  (big bed, food for 10 days, towels, toys etc) my luggage and presents and Christmas foods. no spare space. M5 and M4 70mph  54-55mph Essex bit of M25 and A12 max mph 57. Well pleased!

Doesn't follow, as it has to work harder to do the same job. The 110 has smaller brakes as well.

The 140 in my opinion is the better choice of the 2, as it is less stressed and has better brakes. But others will disagree :D

How can it be less stressed if the same mechanicals are producing more power?