My new diesel smells like burning rubber and/or the fan stays on after engine is turned off

4 hours ago, Gillrob said:

Anyone mention having to thrash your brand new car to clear it out? My Skoda dealer did. Mine is auto diesel  so manual over ride to thrash it at over 2500 revs in 3rd or 4th gear. Which I think is terrible but I then used just under quarter a tank of fuel to do it! Wish I didn't pick a new skoda  had them since 53 plate. Utterly disappointed?

1/4 tank for a DPF regen? Nah, I don't think so. 

Why would a new car need a driver induced regen anyway? You only need to do that if the DPF light appears on the dash.

Something strange about this post IMO.

I've got a 16 plate vRS TDI 4x4 DSG, never had the light come on in 15k miles so far.

On Sat Jan 11 2014 at 21:58, Dempsek said:

If you are reading this post do not despair!

The horrible burning smell coming from your new diesel car is OK. 

When you stop and turn the engine off and the fan stays on and the engine seems to be super hot, the car is OK.

The above are clear signs of an active DPF regeneration and is normal for your new diesel Skoda car.

To comply with the latest emission levels diesels have to capture the large soot particles and burn them up into smaller particles which are kept in the DPF, this process is called regeneration.

A lot of regenerations take place during normal driving where the exhaust is hot enough to burn the soot in the DPF and are unnoticed and are known as passive regeneration. 

When the temperature in the DPF is not hot enough for an passive regeneration, the ECU injects diesel into the DPF which burns up the soot and is known as an active regeneration.  When you stop the car part way through an active regeneration, often the car smells like it's burning and the engine fan will stay on to cool the car.

Mods could you please edit this thread (if needed) and make it a sticky or just delete, thanks

6 hours ago, pist0nbr0ke said:

Why would a new car need a driver induced regen anyway? You only need to do that if the DPF light appears on the dash.

I've got a 16 plate vRS TDI 4x4 DSG, never had the light come on in 15k miles so far.

Just now, Gillrob said:

Well saying it how it is in a driver by profession, aged 46 driven since 9 days after my 17th birthday driven skoda since 53 plate. Never had a crap car but this one. As of today it's down to be returned to d m Keith in Leeds. Give opinion to sort it for 1 week or want money back can keep car.Sorry but just short of £24.695 badly spent. Rac also advised to emerges 're gen like I did as well as dealer. You just didn't get told your problems will come. But pjmda got this forum with thousands of problems yet you don't believe? Why do you think we're on it? Seems logical to me. All regeneration problems just look on this forum. Subject closed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm new to the diesel world and DPFs but this thread has been very helpful. I got a ODB and the VAG DPF app. Just wondering what a "good" Soot Mass volume is? At what level should you be concerned?

I have had 2 Yeti's with DPF and absolutely no issues in 110k miles. Yes an occasional hot smell and fans running on but it is meant to do that.

My wifes fabia also has a dpf and contrary to normal wisdom does mainly short trips in it with occasional trips to York and back at 50m return, 4k miles per year and also has not seen a warning light to date in 30 months since we bought it at a bargain price as no-one seemed to want a fabia 1.6tdi. Goes really well too as same engine as my Yeti and probably half the weight!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, daddcool said:

I'm new to the diesel world and DPFs but this thread has been very helpful. I got a ODB and the VAG DPF app. Just wondering what a "good" Soot Mass volume is? At what level should you be concerned?

don't stress at first place (been there, done this) 

it will do it's job, help the process if you catch it and if you can do it at that time. Attaching a good presentation picture for reference. Any other questions ... do not hesistate to ask

BTW where did you buy the OBD reader from, I need a new one

Load_regens.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2017-5-7 at 00:22, Gillrob said:

Well saying it how it is in a driver by profession, aged 46 driven since 9 days after my 17th birthday driven skoda since 53 plate. Never had a crap car but this one. As of today it's down to be returned to d m Keith in Leeds. Give opinion to sort it for 1 week or want money back can keep car.Sorry but just short of £24.695 badly spent. Rac also advised to emerges 're gen like I did as well as dealer. You just didn't get told your problems will come. But pjmda got this forum with thousands of problems yet you don't believe? Why do you think we're on it? Seems logical to me. All regeneration problems just look on this forum. Subject closed.

I've done over 85,000 miles in 2 different Octavia 3's, both CR150 DSG, in the last 3 and 3/4 years.

I have never had the DPF light come on and never had to force a regen or thrash it and waste 1/4 tank of fuel.

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/04/2016 at 20:19, Croat said:

Update just as info. Went to service for inspection, and told them about warning light for DPF. They sad after diagnostics no problem with car. They recommended to do forced regeneration for DPF which I sad yes. And no problem so far. Think car runs better now cuz it breads out easier.

How do I force a regeneration?

I do mainly short journeys and for the first time today I have the warning on the display referring to the manual to do a long journey. It is about 2 months before I will do long journeys and would like to clear the warning sooner than that.

Thanks

Bob

Only authorized service can do that. They hook up the car to a computer and run the regeneration program.

Maybe VCDS can show you how much full is your DPF filter and has the regeneration program IDK I don't have one.
But going to a trip and driving for 100 km should do the job of helping the engine regenerate. There si a tip in the user manual.
But this regeneration in service wasn't that expensive.

Also a good thing is to change your engine oil every year if you are doing short trips around city.

DPF can make a problem but if you drive hear and there in a week 20 - 30 km trips or more should be fine. Its cheaper to burn some gas than pay for new DPF 1K €, rather go places for a week, with family some trips its good for you and the car. ;) 

Edited by Croat
  • Like 1

On 5/17/2017 at 22:24, TTodorov said:

don't stress at first place (been there, done this) 

it will do it's job, help the process if you catch it and if you can do it at that time. Attaching a good presentation picture for reference. Any other questions ... do not hesistate to ask

BTW where did you buy the OBD reader from, I need a new one

Load_regens.jpg

Apparently I was on 24 last time but since then no issues. I was driving a car for few weeks before I took it to service for inspection and asked for forced regeneration just in case. Til now I was driving in winter more city runs hear and the you hear the pasiv regeneration. While in spring I was doing more trips out side city or to near buy citys I noticed there was less or no passive regeneration.

4 hours ago, 9fingers said:

How do I force a regeneration?

I do mainly short journeys and for the first time today I have the warning on the display referring to the manual to do a long journey. It is about 2 months before I will do long journeys and would like to clear the warning sooner than that.

Thanks

Bob

If the light has only been on a short time, you should be able to clear it easily enough.

Find somewhere you can keep the revs above 3,000 in say 3rd (cruise is useful) for 3 or 4 minutes constantly. Make sure the engine is warm 1st though. 

Thanks

I'll give this a go in the morning on the local motorway once the rush is over. I should be able to sit in lane one on M3 and not cause too much nuisance to other drivers. Good tip to use the cruise control. I do like the way the Skoda cruise lets you change gear without dropping out. None of my previous cruise equipped cars have allowed this.

Bob

I started the car this morning and the warning came up on the display and within seconds it disappeared including the icon of the DPF and the amber exclamation triangle. Presumably it had been doing some regeneration automatically?

Anyway I decide it would still be worth doing the high RPM drive as suggested. I was pleasantly surprised that the MPG during that part of the drive only dropped to 48mpg despite the high revs.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/05/2017 at 17:57, pist0nbr0ke said:

I've got a 15 plate 1.6 CR TDi which has just hit 50k and I've never had the dpf light come on. Bizarre post Indeed.

• 2 months later...

Not in my experience. The only ways I've known mine is regenerating are , fan on and smell when parking up and nose dive in fuel consumption if you happen to have that on the display at the time. Mine drives quite normally during regen.

Bob

Regen lasts about 20 to 25 min, depending on driving conditions. Fans do come on when regeneration is interrupted or it just complete while filter is still hot. After regen filter cools down pretty fast, never experienced fans on after regen. During regen filter temperature reach up to 678c max. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/09/2017 at 17:00, 9fingers said:

Not in my experience. The only ways I've known mine is regenerating are , fan on and smell when parking up and nose dive in fuel consumption if you happen to have that on the display at the time. Mine drives quite normally during regen.

Bob

As Bob says but I only notice a small drop in fuel consumption. 

On 25/09/2017 at 17:17, bakili said:

Regen lasts about 20 to 25 min, depending on driving conditions. Fans do come on when regeneration is interrupted or it just complete while filter is still hot. After regen filter cools down pretty fast, never experienced fans on after regen. During regen filter temperature reach up to 678c max. 

In my experience regen would normally be about 15 mins if you are on open road. Regens take longer in town driving as regen only works if revs are consistently least 1500 and the engine is working! I remember a regen starting just before getting stuck in a gridlock, that regen took about 30 mins only completing once I got clear of the traffic. On the open road you will not notice the regen unless you have to stop before it has finished, then you see the idle revs at 1000 and Auto Stop temporarily unavailable.

• 2 weeks later...

Phew! Glad I found this thread!!

Dare I say it, I am the "type" of female that gets in a car and drives..the end! But, I finally bought a car worth more than £1000.00 and am trying hard to understand and look after it..you know, "emotionally connect" ;)

Anyway - could not for the life of me figure out why my 13 plate Octavia with only 20k on the clock was starting to have the fan scream at me at least once a week when I average 250 miles per week.......I am assuming it is due to Regen. However, is it common for this to occur as frequently as it currently seems? I drive a crappy trunk route 30 miles each way 4 days a week (less if I can help it)

On a side note, I have also started receiving the Start/Stop error - so typically thought my car had had enough of me with error messages and what I assumed was overheating!!

Hi Jen,

I notice mine doing a regen sometime each week but I'm doing far less miles than you - a tankful of fuel last me about a month.

What is the start-stop error you are getting? Mine sometimes says it can't do the stop/start but that is normally just after a cold start. I think it decides dependent on the battery condition state of charge and the oil temperature. I have also seen it not stop/start on a very hot day abroad when the aircon had significant work to do.

I too like to "connect" with my car but it is bloody hard work when the manuals don't explain all the interactions between the various systems.

Bob

1 hour ago, 9fingers said:

Hi Jen,

I notice mine doing a regen sometime each week but I'm doing far less miles than you - a tankful of fuel last me about a month.

What is the start-stop error you are getting? Mine sometimes says it can't do the stop/start but that is normally just after a cold start. I think it decides dependent on the battery condition state of charge and the oil temperature. I have also seen it not stop/start on a very hot day abroad when the aircon had significant work to do.

I too like to "connect" with my car but it is bloody hard work when the manuals don't explain all the interactions between the various systems.

Bob

Not sure of you can do it on Skoda but on MK7 Golf if you press "car button" on radio screen, in car status you press stop/start and it tells you why your stop/start not available or when it's available 

Edited by bakili
  • Like 1

Thanks Bakili

That does indeed work on my skoda too. Leaving it enabled whilst driving gives a running report as to start/stop availability.

Turning up (down??) the air con gives a report that the aircon system requires the engine to be running and so Stop/start is unavailable.

Thanks for the heads up

Bob