My new diesel smells like burning rubber and/or the fan stays on after engine is turned off

As I understand it, idling will increase soot levels ............

Let the car do it's thing, I've had no DPF issues, and the only ones I am aware of are due to something else failing.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Yep, jus going to let it do it's thing in future  :notme:

I left car to do its thing for 3 days now. I noticed following behaviours, active regen happened about 3 - 4 times. All regen's seems to be mini regen's. Idle rise to 1k rpm but few minutes it went back to normal. This morning on the way to work about 6 miles trip, active regen came back, after driving on for last mile (taking gear changes up to 3k rpm) it completed regen. 20 min later I had to nip out and started car to my surprise it started another regen. Not sure now are these classed as regen's.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

If you check the Start Stop Status is it disabled with a reason of Engine must be running?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I noticed stop start still works when car idles higher than normal.

I too have noticed short regens probably about 3-4 now in the first 400 miles ownership. Anyone know how much of a proper regen these are. I did take my car on a 25min motorway journey the other weekend and little surprise that it ran a short regen within 5 mins of coming off the motorway guess because even though I was cruising jus fast enough to get RPM to 2400 the air passing under car was cooling the DPF down :-(.

Commute journeys are 50 mins alternating between heavy Start/Stop some days and 50% Motorway/Fast A road the others. I have never noticed the fans or smell at the end of the journey and if revs are about 750RPM I just chuck it in Neutral, release the clutch,  and if the engine stops I am confident no regen is taking place.

Edited by davitc

Same here, I am not sure if it regen's now. Car definitely idles just on 1k rpm occasionally, it warms up pretty quick, fans are on but not too loud. They go off when engine I shut engine off. Stop start operates as normal.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little update. My car now didn't show any signs of active regen for over 12 days. I keep stop/start on, change gears at higher revs (2 to 2.5 rmp), same daily journeys and not noticed any regen's at all.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all.

Went on trip to Croatian coast, Zagreb to Split then Zadar and back to Zagreb (one week).

In Zagreb regen turns ON. Short trips i thought i did it's work for the month.

DPF regen turned ON on highway as I noticed on gas stop. Ok, than it turned ON in Split on some short trips other day.

Going to Zadar no regen. In Zadar some short trips regen ON, went ON longer trip to near small village. Regeneration working on parking. Went back sam night still ON. Next day short trip to city and back to house regen turning ON and then later day off. And yesterday going back to Zagreb DPF filter light turns on dash and warning message on maxi dot. Few seconds (3) light went off making me worry little bit and thinking it's time to go to steelers. When message turned off light went off. All the way to Zagreb it didn't turn on.

When I came home went online to check the manual. If warning light turns on. Driver needs to drive 1800-2500 RPM range I was driving 130 - 140 km/h which is roughly 2500 maybe little more but around 2500 RPM.

Manual says if there was problem with DPF other additional light would turn on. So obviously there isn't one for now.

Any way was wondering if any one had same warning light and what to expect with DPF?

Edited by Croat

Update just as info. Went to service for inspection, and told them about warning light for DPF. They sad after diagnostics no problem with car. They recommended to do forced regeneration for DPF which I sad yes. And no problem so far. Think car runs better now cuz it breads out easier.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

New to the forum...hi!

I've just inherited a 14 plate semi-auto VRS diesel estate - very nice, surprisingly fast! It used to be my father's car and he was forever moaning about the DPF, forever threatening to have it cut out and remapped etc but never did.

I've had a few modern diesel cars (520d being the most recent which was prone to DPF dramas) but until this day I've not once been able to identify a regen while it's been running. Not on the BMW nor my wife's Kia Sportage nor now the Skoda.

Yes, the exhaust pinks hard and the fans continue to run but that's only evident when you turn the car off.

I've read through this entire thread and other than the above plus evidence of higher than usual idle...what are the signs of a regen occurring? I'd love to know!

Cheers

Alex

Edited by alexbuck

The cars Stop/Start system deactivates if accompanied with the 1100 RPM is a sign my car gives me  :dull:  .

I find it a bit frustrating but don't worry about it, if you get the warning light then follow the instructions in the Manual.

Edited by davitc

Hi all

New to the forum...hi!

I've just inherited a 14 plate semi-auto VRS diesel estate - very nice, surprisingly fast! It used to be my father's car and he was forever moaning about the DPF, forever threatening to have it cut out and remapped etc but never did.

I've had a few modern diesel cars (520d being the most recent which was prone to DPF dramas) but until this day I've not once been able to identify a regen while it's been running. Not on the BMW nor my wife's Kia Sportage nor now the Skoda.

Yes, the exhaust pinks hard and the fans continue to run but that's only evident when you turn the car off.

I've read through this entire thread and other than the above plus evidence of higher than usual idle...what are the signs of a regen occurring? I'd love to know!

Cheers

Alex

My MK2 vRS has only done 17k, but I hardly ever notice it doing a regen-if you don't notice it don't worry! Even if I notice one is in progress (higher tickover than usual) which is very rare it then only takes a few miles before it's completed it and is back to normal so depending on what type of journeys you're doing its probably doing them without you even knowing. depending on how your driving etc it will do 1 every 400-600 miles without any lights on the dash. If yiu get the DPF light up it's because it's tried and failed to do several and you need to drive it until the light goes out. if this continues you'll also get the EML light on and it'll go into  limp mode but unless you've got a sensor fault or driving it on short jurneys all the time this is unlikely to happen- I've not had a light so far....

Just a word of warning but a higher than usual RPM at idle isn't necessarily a regen.

If the engine temperature begins to drop i.e. if it is cold outside and the heater is asking for more heat than the engine can deliver (i.e. when in stop start traffic) the car will automatically increase the RPM in an attempt to generate more heat to meet the demands of the heating system.

This can be soon after the temperature gauge settles at normal operating temperature.

• Like 1

Just a word of warning but a higher than usual RPM at idle isn't necessarily a regen.

If the engine temperature begins to drop i.e. if it is cold outside and the heater is asking for more heat than the engine can deliver (i.e. when in stop start traffic) the car will automatically increase the RPM in an attempt to generate more heat to meet the demands of the heating system.

This can be soon after the temperature gauge settles at normal operating temperature.

Will this disable stop/start function as well?

• 1 month later...

Just thought I'd share with you guys. Found vag dpf app on Google play store which works with bt obd reader and here you go (see below) can now see what sot level on dpf, when last regeneration took place etc

efe5c9515d41ab1f4085f4db0cc059ff.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Just thought I'd share with you guys. Found vag dpf app on Google play store which works with bt obd reader and here you go (see below) can now see what sot level on dpf, when last regeneration took place etc

efe5c9515d41ab1f4085f4db0cc059ff.jpg

Jus downloaded the App and it seems to work on 2015 MK3 Skoda vRS TDI.

Going to give it a whirl on way in to work.

Bought this OBD reader https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00YVHGTBM/ref=pe_1909131_77697001_tnp_email_TE_AMZLdp_1

It's great app. I know exactly when regeneration will kick in so I can plan my route via motorway to get regeneration successfully complete.

But why?  No intervention is required from the driver with regards regens, the car is more than capable of dealing with it on its own.

I do a lot short journeys and most time when I just about pull on drive or to my destination regen starts. I have to either interrupt regen or get it back on road to get it completed.

Edited by bakili

Pulled into local Tesco carpark the other day and before I switched the engine off I noticed that a regen was taking place. Sat in a quiet part of the carpark with the engine running at a shade over 2000rpm for 7 minutes. Idle speed then went back to 700rpm or so. The burning smell was quite strong. Turned off engine and fans ran for about 3 minutes.

I've done 2500 miles now and this is the first regen I've noticed since the first at 429 miles.

I do lots of short journeys so keep the car in sports mode and rarely see it out of 3rd gear. This keeps the engine revs up, heats up engine quickly and deals with regen satisfactorily. MPG is 47+

Pulled into local Tesco carpark the other day and before I switched the engine off I noticed that a regen was taking place. Sat in a quiet part of the carpark with the engine running at a shade over 2000rpm for 7 minutes. Idle speed then went back to 700rpm or so. The burning smell was quite strong. Turned off engine and fans ran for about 3 minutes.

I've done 2500 miles now and this is the first regen I've noticed since the first at 429 miles.

I do lots of short journeys so keep the car in sports mode and rarely see it out of 3rd gear. This keeps the engine revs up, heats up engine quickly and deals with regen satisfactorily. MPG is 47+

Your lucky, I've done 5K now and get roughly 2 every tank full but they are somestimes jus short ones like way home 2nite. Jus got to top of M1 slip road, doing regen, 5mins later by time got home it had finished.

As others have said it seems quite an inteligent system

Edited by davitc