Pasty Wagon Accident

PastyBoy

As were on the topic of roadcraft/code. I actually thought that flashing lights was not technically a 'go on then' more it's actually a I'M HERE.

I know 99% of people treat it as a courtesy... I use them to alert others,  I'm coming through, or I'm overtaking you ; somewhat less used since buying the citigo though that one, but I don't use a quick flash unless slowing and I'm in control of the road, i.e. blocking it.

Yes - this is how it should be, but as you say, should be and what it is used for are two different things.  I prefer to treat all other road users as idiots.  In this scenario I would have hoped to have spotted the hulk of metal waiting to pull out, and possibly the driver not looking in your direction and be able to allow for the fact they could pull out right in front of you. It's all about seeing the hazard and allowing for it.  What if pasty wagon had been a motorbike?  Shudder to think of the consequences then!

Not sure how you stand on removing things especially with modifications, i would assume insurance take this as a sign of hiding things.

Dont get me wrong I am on your side, in my opinion you should take out everything that you can, but knowing what insurance companies are like i am not sure how you would stand.

Posted Today, 19:05

Anyone know what the deal is with removing parts from a car before it gets taken away for inspection?

it's sat in the work car park awaiting a call from the garage about collection

Assuming that'll be Monday am I in my rights to take out/off bits before hand that i would want to potentially buy back should they write it off?

Anyone know what the deal is with removing parts from a car before it gets taken away for inspection?

it's sat in the work car park awaiting a call from the garage about collection

Assuming that'll be Monday am I in my rights to take out/off bits before hand that i would want to potentially buy back should they write it off?

Sorry to hear this and hope you are ok?

Have you declared everything you have done to the car to your insurance company?   

If not - get everything off it as quick as possible!

The body repair centre will take the car away carry out a inspection and quote to repairs to the vehicle and will take photos or video

If the repair & other costs (hire cars etc.) is bigger than the value % of the car they will send a engineer to inspect the vehicle to write the car off 

if the engineer inspection finds a non standard car you will have to explain to the insurance company why you have not declared  

in extreme cases you are not insured and because you are claiming against someone else the engineer will be from the person who hit you insurance company as they will be paying the claim

Thanks for all the kind messages.

As said just glad that everythign is ok and hpefully the insurance will go smoothly and things will get sorted.

Thing i'm most amazed about it that this thread i s2 pages and 35 comments in and no vultures have circled asking about the parts.

Maybe this place has turned over a new leaf for 2014 :D

Pity to hear another is off the road, you should be able to offer to buy it back just how to get back from body shop would be the issue.

So if you do desire to break...time.to be a vulture... I'll let you drop.me a pm re the rarb and front strut brace...

Ka kaaaar ( that's my vulture impression) haha

Sorry to hear of this.

As were on the topic of roadcraft/code. I actually thought that flashing lights was not technically a 'go on then' more it's actually a I'M HERE.

I know 99% of people treat it as a courtesy... I use them to alert others,  I'm coming through, or I'm overtaking you ; somewhat less used since buying the citigo though that one, but I don't use a quick flash unless slowing and I'm in control of the road, i.e. blocking it.

The hashed chevons, bah necessary and safe to do so... Again I'm under the impression you can enter if safe, e.g. completing or starting an overtake. But if observed doing so, necessary is subjective so the officer could very well be having a case of the mondays. Solids yeah bad form to touch them.

So based on my assumptions, her pulling out in response to an alerting of danger close flash is another nail.

Good luck and fingers crossed better comes of it.

I think we are all guilty of this BUT You are NEVER in control of the road and don't fool yourself you are when you are not ! It only takes a bike to legally filter or overtake you and bang, unfortunately you have just contributed to causing an accident.

This is just an accident waiting to happen if you think like that, but I'll admit I've been guilty of flashing people out from time to time so I'm not lecturing, just posturing on the facts.

However I try to be more ruthless nowadays, or may even slow enough to allow pulling out with someone else hopefully carefully considering what else is about, but hate to flash. I also hate people who flash like mad suggesting you should move - I will decide when and where I move, thanks.

Although once you are committed and its definitely clear best to get on with it. Nothing worse than slowly pulling out especially onto a fast moving road and with a possible dangerous bend on it or obscured to traffic.

Flashing is just such an accident waiting to happen TBH

It has already been mentioned that its technically the "fault" of someone no longer involved and will face no consequences.

I'll hold my hands up to flashing people out of junctions when it safe to do so but only when they are coming into or crossing the lane of the road i'm travelling on.

I'd never flash someone out of a junction into which i was turning. Even less so if there was a slip road (of sorts) which i was already half into and hatchings in the middle of the road where someone could potentially drive round me.

In my opinion when turning off my indicator is on to say i'm leaving the carriage way next to the pullerout so it's their decision if they think there is space to pull out/across safely. 

I mean I'm leaving the road on to which they were about to move meaning so i absolve all responsibility over their actions, and shoudl reall yhave no influence whatsoever.

I've certainly almost been on the other side of making the wrong decision

Pulling out the first of 2 close together side roads, car approaching from my right indicating left to turn off, awesome so i go to pull out, only to find he's going in the second junction not the first and nearly takes the nose off the works van i was driving at the time.

Ah well it's all just hot air really.

What's happened has happened and we'll let the insurance companies do their things. 

I mean that's why we pay such large amounts of money.

Lets hope it continues to go as swimmingly as it has so far.

Would it be wrong to spend this morning doing a dealer crawl to see what's out there :wonder:

Would it be wrong to spend this morning doing a dealer crawl to see what's out there :wonder:

I wouldn't say so, so long as it doesn't end up making you dwell on the loss of the Fabia.

I would think a Rapid would be too tame coming from a highly tuned Fabia VRS - but if you do like them there are some amazing deals if you know where to look. My dealer offered me a Rapid TSi 105 6 speed manual SE with delivery miles for £11,500 - list price £15,920

In my opinion when turning off my indicator is on to say i'm leaving the carriage way next to the pullerout so it's their decision if they think there is space to pull out/across safely. 

Call me cynical, but I always take indicators as "I intend to move that way/turn off... until I actually do it, I may/may not actually do anything but plough straight into you... actually, is my indicator on? What are these funny stalks out of the side of the steering column... I may wiggle them a bit to see what they do... bored of that now... is that a bird?.. "

I tend to take it the same way when people flash me.  :think:

• Like 3

Glad to hear you are ok Cliff.

May I throw my 2-penneth worth in on a couple of points? Excuse me putting my 'traffic cop' head on,,,

Technically you should not remove any parts from the car as you have made a claim on the insurance, and at that point the insurance company has or may have a claim on the vehicle ownership. They have insured the vehicle based on the information you have given, so to remove anything could be considered as theft or fraud, although it would be a. Unlikely that they would find out, and b. Doubtful they would pursue you legally. However, in the past have dealt with just such an offence where someone did just that, albeit only a couple of times in 26 years.

Also, the Highway Code is not a law, the law is covered by The Road Traffic Act, and other associated acts, like the Road Traffic Offenders Act.

The test for culpability would fall within, depending on the circumstances, wether the manner of driving fell below, or wether the manner of driving fell far below the standard of driving expected of a competent driver (paraphrased) in the case of careless, reckless or inconsiderate driving. The other driver, on the face of it, seems to have fallen into this category, however I am obviously only privy to limited information on the circumstances of the road traffic accident.

With regards to flashing headlights, I never do it; if I wish to let someone out in slow moving traffic, I stop short of the junction and make unbroken eye contact with them, it's then their choice as to wether to move or not.

Don't forget that flashing your lights may be classed as a causation factor to the accident by dear Mr Plod....

Anyway, hat put away now, off to hospital to see my mum who has had a stroke.

Glad that you weren't hurt cliff, and echoing others, if you get the chance to buy it back at areasonable price....

• Like 2

I wouldn't say so, so long as it doesn't end up making you dwell on the loss of the Fabia.

I would think a Rapid would be too tame coming from a highly tuned Fabia VRS - but if you do like them there are some amazing deals if you know where to look. My dealer offered me a Rapid TSi 105 6 speed manual SE with delivery miles for £11,500 - list price £15,920

me and the other half discussed this last night and at no point during my drive home did the Rapid feel underpowered, or a horrible place to be, nor did it's teeny tiny petrol supping engine return hideously worse MPG to be honest it as about the same and given petrol is cheaper than diesel it was probably a cheaper commute!

A quick car is nice but why exactly do you need one for on the road?

i could quite happily commute in the Rapid (or similar) everyday and not feel shortchanged for not being in a VRS.

That said we don;'t have the money to one (or anything else new) and have never ventured in to the dark art of car finance before so i literally have no clue about what to do to replace the Fabia.

Again all subject to my car actually being written off of course! I am jumping the gun a little :D

Call me cynical, but I always take indicators as "I intend to move that way/turn off... until I actually do it, I may/may not actually do anything but plough straight into you... actually, is my indicator on? What are these funny stalks out of the side of the steering column... I may wiggle them a bit to see what they do... bored of that now... is that a bird?.. "

I tend to take it the same way when people flash me.  :think:

Exactly i've seen more than enough people happily commuting to working with their car happily telling everyone right -right-right-right-right-right for mile upon mile

He flashed she made her choice, it was wrong, job done (hopefully)

Glad to hear you are ok Cliff.

May I throw my 2-penneth worth in on a couple of points? Excuse me putting my 'traffic cop' head on,,,

Technically you should not remove any parts from the car as you have made a claim on the insurance, and at that point the insurance company has or may have a claim on the vehicle ownership. They have insured the vehicle based on the information you have given, so to remove anything could be considered as theft or fraud, although it would be a. Unlikely that they would find out, and b. Doubtful they would pursue you legally. However, in the past have dealt with just such an offence where someone did just that, albeit only a couple of times in 26 years.

Also, the Highway Code is not a law, the law is covered by The Road Traffic Act, and other associated acts, like the Road Traffic Offenders Act.

The test for culpability would fall within, depending on the circumstances, wether the manner of driving fell below, or wether the manner of driving fell far below the standard of driving expected of a competent driver (paraphrased) in the case of careless, reckless or inconsiderate driving. The other driver, on the face of it, seems to have fallen into this category, however I am obviously only privy to limited information on the circumstances of the road traffic accident.

With regards to flashing headlights, I never do it; if I wish to let someone out in slow moving traffic, I stop short of the junction and make unbroken eye contact with them, it's then their choice as to wether to move or not.

Don't forget that flashing your lights may be classed as a causation factor to the accident by dear Mr Plod....

Anyway, hat put away now, off to hospital to see my mum who has had a stroke.

Glad that you weren't hurt cliff, and echoing others, if you get the chance to buy it back at areasonable price....

Thanks for all the advice

Having slept on it i'm gunna leave the car well alone to be honest.

Reckon it would look a touch too bit fishy if someone turns up to inspect the car and it's got no seats or wheels :D

With regards to the hatchings, as said it's the only possible angle i can see that they would argue that she wasn't 100% liable which was the only reason i mentioned it

Having spent most of the night lying awake thinking about things I think the events went like this:

• I was comuting to work though a village at 30mph
  • The guy in front of me was doing exactly the same
  • He started indicating to exit left 
  • He started to move into the "sliporoad" with slight reduction in speed
  • He was probably half in the slip road and half on the normal carriageway when there was a marked reduction in speed (presumably slowing to to flash her out)

If i was being dramatic here I'd write "I took evasive action" but i was really avoiding slowing down rather than crashing into him (he'd only braked not emergency stopped)

• I checked to see if anyone was waiting in the hatched area to turn right into the sideroad from the other side of the road
  • they weren't so maintained my speed remaining half in the carriageway and half taking to the hatched area to maneuver past the slowing car
  • I get past just in time to be mounted by a randy Freelander :D

Hand on heart i don't think i did anything wrong.

I would consider what i did normal driving and have seen it done at this junction and many others many many times

it was just an accident, the same as hundreds of others up and down the country everyday.

fingers crossed the insurance people think the same

• Like 1

I would say as you were already on that road you had the right of way and they have come into you.

Cant really see how if the person in front flashed would make a difference, it really winds me up when you travel behind a car and they flash someone in when they are turning off, if they arent going to be on that road anymore its not there decision to let someone out in my opinion.

Thing i'm most amazed about it that this thread i s2 pages and 35 comments in and no vultures have circled asking about the parts.

Maybe this place has turned over a new leaf for 2014 :D

Now 3 pages and 70 posts and no one has mentioned 'T' cut!!!!!!

Thats got to be a record :)

As above surely to god 'Give Way' is the most important thing here, and she did not!

End of the day if flashed out its your responsibility to check the road your entering, both directions, as per the sign.

If you had been on a motorbike she would now be in a whole lot more bother than she is.

• Like 3

Try this one. Rule 172 highway code. 'The approach to a junction may have a 'Give Way' sign or a triangle marked on the road. You MUST give way to traffic on the main road when emerging from a junction with broken white lines across the road. Laws RTA 19888 SECT 36 & TSRGD regs 10 (1), 16 (1) & 25'

Normally IIRC where a MUST rule is not followed the person would be subject to proscecution under the RTA if a police officer attended. She may have been influenced by the other driver but ultimately it's her responsibility.

However rule 167 says 'DO NOT overtake where you might come into conflict with other road users. For example approaching a road junction oneither side of the road.'

Not sure if 167 applies to your situation or not, But 172 defo applies to her so at worse it'll be knock for knock. It might be worth checking out your insurance about the hire car too because most will require the hire car back if yours is written off.

Guess she's been discussing her accident with those in her office and will most likely have given a less than an impartial view.

Edit: sorry forgot to add would the fact that you started to overtake the driver turning left have actually made things better, e.g. as a result you had a glancing blow, but if you had been a bit furtherback it would have been a full on T bone?

Again good luck.

• Like 1