Upgrading car speakers after collecting new car...

To put tudorm's point another way, you can't make the system  any better than the weakest link.

We (I) suspect the weakest link is speakers, then bolero amp circuit and that the bolero source is the best bit.  I also believe that the car space is a bit limiting too..... A bit of dynamat or felt in a few places will help but it is not an auditorium, and will never be.

• Like 1

Spent a couple of hours in mine last night listening to Annie Mac on Radio One; had it turned right up and have to say sound wise whilst the system is definitely doing something to suppress output it sounds good still.

Seems to me that the system is alot more capable than it appears, particularly if it didnt suppress the volume and bass output like it does.

Be interesting if a VCDS guru could take a look into the infotainment coding and see if there is some kind of volume suppression setting enabled.

I tested the Canton upgrade yesterday for about 15 minutes (car has 5.000km so its not brand new), played with all possible settings and Im very disappointed. 

Currently I have an old Opel (10 years+) with: 

- front 100W RMS 2-way speakers - 150 EUR

- 2x70 W RMS amplifier for front speakers - 80 EUR

so the upgrade costed me - together with all wiring and everything (not counting regular JVC stereo) - 280 EUR.

And the sound in my old Opel is way better than Canton in Octavia.

They should just put in better front speakers and amp and forget about woofer because its completely useless. IF they must put such underpowered woofer in such big car, they should have putted it under front/passenger seat.

To put tudorm's point another way, you can't make the system  any better than the weakest link.

We (I) suspect the weakest link is speakers, then bolero amp circuit and that the bolero source is the best bit.  I also believe that the car space is a bit limiting too..... A bit of dynamat or felt in a few places will help but it is not an auditorium, and will never be.

Bolero output is only 4*20W (I guess its only 10-15W RMS per channel) so I think Bolero isnt capable of powering better speakers. Maybe speakers with really high sensitivity.

@chelon: with Canton you will (probably) get better sound quality. But woofer will make very little difference if any (you can find posts people complaining that "woofer is not working" - well it is working but you cant hear it because output power is just too low). I had the same experience.

And as I said - overall sound quality would be better without woofer and with better front speakers/amp - for same price of course.

Anybody tested difference between Canton and general sound system?

Edited by bli34

Spent a couple of hours in mine last night listening to Annie Mac on Radio One; had it turned right up and have to say sound wise whilst the system is definitely doing something to suppress output it sounds good still.

Seems to me that the system is alot more capable than it appears, particularly if it didnt suppress the volume and bass output like it does.

Be interesting if a VCDS guru could take a look into the infotainment coding and see if there is some kind of volume suppression setting enabled

That sounds like wishful thinking to me. I'd be very surprised if they paid to put a better stereo in then just crippled it through the settings.

That sounds like wishful thinking to me. I'd be very surprised if they paid to put a better stereo in then just crippled it through the settings.

Maybe but it sounds like its in a very artificial way not being allowed to drive the speakers to their full potential. Ive noticed a few times at high volume that it gets extremely loud before a break when the bass cuts in the output lowers and the sound is suppressed.

I cant imagine for a minute they've done it because the amp and speakers are substandard but i do wonder whether something has been done to reduce warranty claims against blown speakers and door trim rattles; the car is after all more cheaply manufactured than its MK2 version; thats how theyve been able to throw all the tech at it with little increase in cost.

Ive been listening to alot of varied music in mine over the past few days and can confirm other than a slight lack of overall volume its very good and does sound nice, crisp bass and quite punchy. I think much like the canton even the standard system needs a bit of running in to reach its best.

Edited by pipsyp

@chelon: with Canton you will (probably) get better sound quality. But woofer will make very little difference if any (you can find posts people complaining that "woofer is not working" - well it is working but you cant hear it because output power is just too low). I had the same experience.

The Canton reviews on Briskoda seem to vary from "stunning" to ones like the above which make it appear to sound as if it's a bit "meh". I'm thinking of ordering the Canton as I'm a real music nut, but am deeply suspicious of digital music systems in general. Guess I'll have to try to arrange a test listen.

I used to upgrade amps/speakers in older cars years back but thinking it will be more difficult in a modern car so was considering the factory fit option.

"I used to upgrade amps/speakers in older cars years back but thinking it will be more difficult in a modern car so was considering the factory fit option."

Same with me. Im not sure everything will fit back as new after upgrade so I will probably choose Canton despite knowing its limitations.  

Please report back on performance one done and let us know what product is fitted. Oh and where the feed is taken from, is there a feed on the bolero for a sub or is it coming from somewhere else?

Just got back..

Performance now 100% better.. the bass now sounds like bass..!! 

I now have a Focal Bus 20 Integration flat amp bass enclosure..

They hid it under the driver seat and is connected to the wire block plug,  that is joined behind the CD unit had to use an extra plug lead for a Audi A1 

The sub picks up from the rear speakers, and live to the fuse block under glove box, I have a switch in the glove box that i can turn it up or down to suit...

It took about 90 mins to put in as this was the 1st time the chap done a Mk3 Octavia..

Well worth the £300.00 incls fitting from Road Radio

I think this is the way to go the improve without changing speakers...

• Like 2

Good to hear it's sounding better for you!

Just to be clear, it sounds like your rear speakers are still working as before but the new active sub piggy backs off the signal to them. I'd thought that might work but wasnt sure.

Good to hear it's sounding better for you!

Just to be clear, it sounds like your rear speakers are still working as before but the new active sub piggy backs off the signal to them. I'd thought that might work but wasnt sure.

yep rear speaker working ok 

he lowered the bass up the mid & treb   on display ... 

if i need more bass i open glove box and twist the the switch..

he was fixing it behind the shop.. the staff in the shop could hear it, they said it sounded great..

I wouldnt have done it myself ...

• 8 months later...

yep rear speaker working ok 

he lowered the bass up the mid & treb   on display ... 

if i need more bass i open glove box and twist the the switch..

he was fixing it behind the shop.. the staff in the shop could hear it, they said it sounded great..

I wouldnt have done it myself ...

The solution with the remote inside the glove box is excellent. I just received my ibus20 from Germany and I was hoping to install it myself, but I need to find a few step by step guides prior to getting my hands dirty, but can't seem to find any for the Octy 3.

• 10 months later...

Just got back..

Performance now 100% better.. the bass now sounds like bass..!! 

I now have a Focal Bus 20 Integration flat amp bass enclosure..

They hid it under the driver seat and is connected to the wire block plug,  that is joined behind the CD unit had to use an extra plug lead for a Audi A1 

The sub picks up from the rear speakers, and live to the fuse block under glove box, I have a switch in the glove box that i can turn it up or down to suit...

It took about 90 mins to put in as this was the 1st time the chap done a Mk3 Octavia..

Well worth the £300.00 incls fitting from Road Radio

I think this is the way to go the improve without changing speakers...

Hi there.. Would lov to know if at any point there was any interference after fitting the amp. I personally have fitted numerous amplified sound systems and had no problem wiring this in and getting the volume turned up... However! Once I put the key in the ignition and turned it I got the loudest most awful high pitched interference. I checked the ground I checked all my other connections. Nothing seems to be out of place. Tried a different amp and exactly the same. Then upon starting the engine the noise just got even worse with the noise then of the engine whirring through the amp.. Bloody awful. Any help or advice will be great. Many thanks

It can't be the earth as i have tried 4 different locations from under the bonnet to the boot. It also doesn't affect the sound through iPhone connected direct. It's only when the car stereo is connected.

Have you tried running different rca leads (if you're using them) from the head unit, outside the car, to the amp?

Any way you can try a different head unit? I'm not familiar with how you install in modern cars but where is the amp getting the remote switch on feed, is there an output from the headunit?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not giving up on this and have tried routing wires opposite sides and different earth points. Tried different Amps. Just not sure how I can move forward. Any help greatly appreciated.

• 1 year later...

Milion of people in this threat and only bul****s written ...

Canton is just a logo. Have a thread about canton amp inside. the unit its capable of handling 1000 wats and more its just been limited duo warranty ... 

Spend time for you all ( because obviously you dont have enough to spend for others ) and these are front speakers on Octavia 3. Will change rear too but not now. After I get the work done will upload more pictures.

Cheers!

20170919_180100-2016x1134.jpg

20170919_180621-1134x2016.jpg

20170919_180128-2016x1134.jpg

• Like 1

You call bull**** to all the other contents of this thread and come in with all guns blazing, but...

...where are the much more essential measures about the depth for the front woofers with door windows down?

Also, if you are going to change woofers, I assume you change tweeters too - would be useful to know those sizes.

Of course that it is commendable to make efforts on behalf of the community, and for that you should be praised, but you should maybe have a more moderate language.