Hi all. I'm trying to update the maps for the Amundsen sat nav in the Octy Mk3. The latest download on www.skoda-auto.com site is version 0036ECE and my vehicle came with version 0034 ECE last October. The update is a 4.88 GB zipped file. Each time I attempt to download the file it stops at 904MB and refuses to budge. There are an alternative set of 5 smaller files but they also stop mid way through the download. I have good broadband speed and no virus checkers getting in the way. Has anyone successfully downloaded this file and unzipped it then loaded it unto the SD card out of the Amundsen unit please? The new car is supposed to come with 3 years free updates but like many promises it is starting to look like a hassle.

The website is not Skoda's but operated by Navteq who are a mapping company.

http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-NavteqEurope-Site/en_GB/-/GBP/View-Promo?&cwt=application/ApplicationFrame_campaign_light&&Page=Skoda-Landing-Page-MIB-Amundsen&&NewDomainName=Navteq-NavteqEurope-Site&

I have just tried and successfully downloaded way past 1GB of the file before I aborted it, this suggests a PC related problem or web browser problem and something is getting in the way. Try a different web browser perhaps, or try downloading to a different location.

The disk you are saving to must be formatted as NTFS otherwise it will not fully download due to its size.

capture.tiff

We have a similar problem in our office on BT business fibre on Mac updates. Every operating system update stop at the same file size each time. The only way we can download them is by pausing the download when it gets stuck, using a free VPN service and resuming the download for 30 seconds, then disconnecting the VPN and resuming on our normal connection. It's a known fault with their supplied routers. You may have a similar problem?

Here is a link to a discussion on it which explains it better: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5468917?start=30&tstart=0

Edited by JamesVRSmk3

Dealer will charge you, Skoda allow you as a customer to do it yourself for free and provide easy to follow instructions on the site.

If you ask them to do it during the routine service it should be included for free as the cost includes "software" updates from Skodas database:

http://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/service-and-maintenance/national-pricing/servicing/

I would assume the dealer would already have this downloaded so if you have a nice service department, they may also do it for free.

They can only say no so you may as well ask.

For big files it is always best to use a download manager, if the transfer gets interrupted it can resume where it left off and it will also check the integrity of the files once downloaded.

I use an Add-On for the Firefox browser called Download Them All! Link and have used it successfully to download the updates for the Columbus from that site that are 3 times the size as those for the Amundsen.

Sorry for me ignorance but, can you not just go in dealers and get this done ? or is that to simple ?

Regards

T

Making an appointment at a skoda dealer, driving there, giving them money to do the update?  Doing it at home for free seems simpler to me.....

Making an appointment at a skoda dealer, driving there, giving them money to do the update?  Doing it at home for free seems simpler to me.....

As Gabbo suggests - get it done when car is in for service & no extra costs as you infer.

Also the OP is having problems downloading, so your "doing it at home for free seems simpler to me..." is only simpler if he can do it.

so your "doing it at home for free seems simpler to me..." is only simpler if he can do it.

Where there's a will there's a way.  A little bit of googling usually finds a solution to most computer problems.

Of course you can also obtain the latest map data on an SD card from your local Skoda Service Partner.

Link is here

Edited by hravec

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your helpful hints and suggestions. I have got there finally! Here is the feedback. I switched browser from Safari to Firefox. I added the download manager DownThemAll! to Firefox. Downloading the single large file as opposed to the 5 part files took two attempts. The download stalled on the first attempt so I shut everything down. Next day I started again and the download manager just picked up from where it had left off and downloaded the remainder of the file. Very impressive. I removed the SD card from the car and copied the old files off it to keep as a backup. Then I unlocked the SD card and reformatted it to clear the old files. Initially I simply deleted the files off the card but that did not free up the space. It needs to be a reformat. My iMac would not unzip the new downloaded file to begin with so I installed an App called The Unarchiver which recognised the 7z zip format of the new file. I used The Unarchiver to unzip the file using the SD card as the target for the unzipped files. All went ok and I have the card back in the car and it works.

I must also commend my local Skoda dealer, Mitchell Skoda in Chester, who were very helpful. They were working in parallel with me to solve this one and had got as far as downloading the update file and were waiting for me to visit them to have the SD card updated.

Thanks also to the Skoda community. Isn't it great to be a member :).

• Like 3

As Neil said you use the Skoda SD card that had the original maps on it. Also remember to unlock it before trying to reformat it and when unzipping to new maps onto it, then re-lock it before putting it back in the car. 

• 2 months later...

Well, I have tried several times, both with and without DownLoadThemAll, the big file and the components, all a total failure.  Even when a part download properly 7zip says there is an error.  Total c**p.

If you ask them to do it during the routine service it should be included for free as the cost includes "software" updates from Skodas database:

http://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/service-and-maintenance/national-pricing/servicing/

I would assume the dealer would already have this downloaded so if you have a nice service department, they may also do it for free.

They can only say no so you may as well ask.

You won't get any software update on a MQB platform car unless it is to fix a known issue and has been rolled out across the board by SUK.

Gone are the days of getting newer software on modules just because it is available, it is all to do with Licencing and Component Protection - newer software releases will sometimes introduce new features (such as door controllers that will fold out the mirrors on unlocking the car). You won't get these unless there is a known problem with the version of software you have.

SUK have to authorize all software updates now and make them available to your car.

Well, I have tried several times, both with and without DownLoadThemAll, the big file and the components, all a total failure.  Even when a part download properly 7zip says there is an error.  Total c**p.

Just out of interest have you asked the dealer to update the card? I would interested to know what their answer would be as not being particularly tech savvy I was going down that road when my 1st service was due. Some on here say it's simple but others like you have had problems & I'm sure if it could go wrong it would for me & I would end up with a sat nav with no maps!!

• 2 weeks later...

I've successfully updated my Amundsen from 036 to 040.

There were no problems with downloading (the big file).

Unpacked with WinRAR.

The website is not Skoda's but operated by Navteq who are a mapping company.

http://www.navigation.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/Navteq-NavteqEurope-Site/en_GB/-/GBP/View-Promo?&cwt=application/ApplicationFrame_campaign_light&&Page=Skoda-Landing-Page-MIB-Amundsen&&NewDomainName=Navteq-NavteqEurope-Site&

I have just tried and successfully downloaded way past 1GB of the file before I aborted it, this suggests a PC related problem or web browser problem and something is getting in the way. Try a different web browser perhaps, or try downloading to a different location.

The disk you are saving to must be formatted as NTFS otherwise it will not fully download due to its size.

I tried the NTFS formatting and it was a total failure so reverted to FAT32 that worked a treat. Do not try downloading directly to the SD card (if that's possible), but download to computer hard drive and then unzip it to the card.  My apologies if I'm going over old ground here.

Mac

• Like 1

Yep, the SD Card should be FAT32 format. If you are downloading the single zip file your hard drive on your PC must be formatted as NTFS.

Once downloaded, extract the contents to your SD Card (which must be the original Skoda SD Card for the MIB Amundsen, but can be any 32Gb SD Card for the Columbus).

• Like 1

Yep, the SD Card should be FAT32 format. If you are downloading the single zip file your hard drive on your PC must be formatted as NTFS.

Once downloaded, extract the contents to your SD Card (which must be the original Skoda SD Card for the MIB Amundsen, but can be any 32Gb SD Card for the Columbus).

Dunno anything about FAT32 or what not. I just pressed format, and it worked a treat.

• Like 1