Retro fit footwell lights Octy III

Just now, Micks_address said:

Thanks would you mind linking to the overhead bulbs you fitted? We're they easy to change?

Cheers,

Mick

Same ones, 2x for the front and 3x for the rear. Back light cover is easy to pull out just clips out. Front one is similar but requires a bit more care. Mine also doesn't clip back in 100%. It's like it's 98% there but doesn't quite click back in. Barely noticeable and not really an issue I guess. I'm just OCD like that... :)

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, ahenners said:

@Micks_address these ones:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00I798TKO/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&th=1

Standard version, cool white. £8.89 per pack of 2. Not cheap but the cheapest branded w5w I'm aware of and the quality is spot on.

Can I ask how hard it was to replace the bulbs in the footwell housing? Should it be easy enough to replace them post fitting? I assume no trim removal needed?

Thanks,

Mick

5 minutes ago, Micks_address said:

Can I ask how hard it was to replace the bulbs in the footwell housing? Should it be easy enough to replace them post fitting? I assume no trim removal needed?

Thanks,

Mick

Provided you have enough slack on the wiring to the locations where the footwell lights are installed, you can prise the footwell light unit out with a screwdriver or trim tool and then pull it out of the trim.

Then it's a case of taking the metal casing off the housing (just bend it a little) and the metal cover comes off. Pop the w5w bulb out. Reverse the above to install new bulb and put back. You can also unclip the units from the wiring if it makes it easier to work with.

25 minutes ago, ahenners said:

Provided you have enough slack on the wiring to the locations where the footwell lights are installed, you can prise the footwell light unit out with a screwdriver or trim tool and then pull it out of the trim.

Then it's a case of taking the metal casing off the housing (just bend it a little) and the metal cover comes off. Pop the w5w bulb out. Reverse the above to install new bulb and put back. You can also unclip the units from the wiring if it makes it easier to work with.

Thanks, apart from colour would you say they are brighter than the halogens?

3 minutes ago, Micks_address said:

Thanks, apart from colour would you say they are brighter than the halogens?

I didn't try it with the halogens. I uploaded a couple of pics in my post last night and that was with them dimmed to about 20%. At 100% they were incredibly bright.

I also grabbed a daytime pic of the unit with the Osram bulb in to show what I meant about the light not filling the unit fully. Won't let me upload unless under 0.11mb though :blink:

7 minutes ago, Micks_address said:

Thanks one last question. Is there two or three bulbs in the rear roof cluster? Thinking I'll order four packed and change them all to be led.. probably would need one more for the glove box?

The other option is something like this set or bulbs

https://www.ledperf.co.uk/pack-interior-full-led-pure-white-for-skoda-octavia-3-5e-p-4942.html

I'm tempted to try the green for footwell. That being said might get sick of it. The changing color set from US would get around any regrets re colour as could run them in White..

31 minutes ago, Micks_address said:

Thanks one last question. Is there two or three bulbs in the rear roof cluster? Thinking I'll order four packed and change them all to be led.. probably would need one more for the glove box?

Yeah 3 for the rear, there's a centre one and then one either side which can be switched on individually as a reading light. All 3 come on when you open the doors.

Just a thought if you have a facelift might be worth double checking what's in the units at the moment. Not sure if there's been any changes to the interior light setup.

There is also 1 in the glovebox and 2 in the boot.

I'd expect that set at 50 euros to be cheap Chinese LEDs. They barely work out much cheaper than the Osrams I mentioned last night. The likes of Osrams and Philips limit you colour wise though if you want something other than white

Edited by ahenners

13 minutes ago, ahenners said:

Yeah 3 for the rear, there's a centre one and then one either side which can be switched on individually as a reading light. All 3 come on when you open the doors.

Just a thought if you have a facelift might be worth double checking what's in the units at the moment. Not sure if there's been any changes to the interior light setup.

There is also 1 in the glovebox and 2 in the boot.

I'd expect that set at 50 euros to be cheap Chinese LEDs. They barely work out much cheaper than the Osrams I mentioned last night. The likes of Osrams and Philips limit you colour wise though if you want something other than white

Ok I decided to go with the led.perf kit.

And went for extra four green bulbs to try in footwell.. may regret it!

24 minutes ago, Micks_address said:

Each to their own but i originally put 6000k white leds in then bought 10 green w5w from amazon which were 2 quid and work flawlessly. I got fed up with the green after a couple of months but i thought they would compliment the  car colour. Strangely i changed them back today ready for winter back to white as passengers all looked like the incredible hulk feet.  .

20 hours ago, Micks_address said:

I chickened out and cancelled the ledperf order and ordered four osram LEDs.. will upgrade the footwells first then try the others .. 

34 minutes ago, Micks_address said:

I chickened out and cancelled the ledperf order and ordered four osram LEDs.. will upgrade the footwells first then try the others .. 

I don't think you will regret it. I had a look inside a colleague's Facelift Golf R today which had factory footwell LEDs. The only noticeable difference compared with mine + Osram LEDs was that the LED is central rather than on one side. Other than that the colour and brightness were pretty similar. Don't think I'll bother grabbing the VAG LED units for nearly £50.

Edited by ahenners

On 9/26/2017 at 17:35, ahenners said:

I don't think you will regret it. I had a look inside a colleague's Facelift Golf R today which had factory footwell LEDs. The only noticeable difference compared with mine + Osram LEDs was that the LED is central rather than on one side. Other than that the colour and brightness were pretty similar. Don't think I'll bother grabbing the VAG LED units for nearly £50.

Bulbs arrived today. Just fitted. Were a bit fiddly. Had to realign the housings a bit so the new bulbs would make proper contact. Front left was hassle as didn't leave enough slack when fitting to disconnect. Looking forward to dark to see difference.

1 hour ago, Micks_address said:

Bulbs arrived today. Just fitted. Were a bit fiddly. Had to realign the housings a bit so the new bulbs would make proper contact. Front left was hassle as didn't leave enough slack when fitting to disconnect. Looking forward to dark to see difference.

Not quite dark yet but nearly there. Much happier with the brightness. The other big plus is that the led bulbs don't run nearly has hot as the halogens they replaced. I was surprised how hot the housing and plastic got with the old bulb. Will take a few pictures when I get a chance

Thanks,

Mick

2 hours ago, Micks_address said:

Not quite dark yet but nearly there. Much happier with the brightness. The other big plus is that the led bulbs don't run nearly has hot as the halogens they replaced. I was surprised how hot the housing and plastic got with the old bulb. Will take a few pictures when I get a chance

Thanks,

Mick

IMG_20170929_202933.jpg

IMG_20170906_203736.jpg

• Like 1

For those who managed to replaced the bulbs, wondering if this alternative would be an easier option to install, although it costs slightly more? Wondering if they fit though.

Got this installed to replace the wagon's boot lightning and impressed with the brightness.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/HOT-2x-LED-Car-Door-Courtesy-Laser-Logo-Projector-Light-Footwell-Luggage-Lamp-For-AUDI-VW/32791071534.html?shortkey=fyayy22m&addresstype=600

• 2 months later...

I had the same issue as another user with a late 14 vRS that the infotainment adaption didn't work even on rebooting the head unit. I had to lock the car and walk away, give it a few hours then come back and hey presto i could adjust the % of the lights while driving. I find any light other than the instrument cluster really distracting while driving, so to have the footwell lights permanently on with the side lights at night was going to be at least an annoyance, and at worst a huge distraction.

I did the install today as it snowed heavy last night, today was -5oC so tricky with frozen hands. I've taken some extra pictures incase they might be of help to anyone else who found the original a little confusing. Some other differences were that the bonnet release handle doesnt have a locking ring and just pops off with minimal force. The whole process was a ball ache especially feeding the terminal under the seat rails as this was quite a tight space. I used a fish tape for handiness which made the process a little easier. The trim is easily removed when you figure out how and even easier to put back. 

I used generic Golf foot well lights with halogens and harness from amazon for £13, and replaced the bulbs with super bright 5K white LEDs from Aliexpress that i had left over from the interior replacement , i think they were £4 for 10. 

The results were good and i'm pleased even though i was sceptical after the issue with brightness in the infotainment. I didn't have to code anything else after replacing the halogens with LED and they dim perfectly with the other interior lights. The colour is spot on and if you want to dim them in the infotainment it is noticeable if that is your thing. I have mine set at 100% for entry and exit.

I didn't want to clog up the thread with images so added them to a gallery.

• Thanks 2

• 2 months later...
On 25/05/2014 at 21:20, steveb1970 said:

Success!

Finally got the footwell lighting retrofit fitted, coded and working fully. They come on 100% with the interior lights when unlocking the car – the same when the doors are opened and are as ambient lights when the side or dipped beams are on at night and driving – defaulting to the % set in the infotainment system.

Recap:

The lights were purchased from Boldsport – I know some people have had issues with deliveries but I can only speak as I find; ordered and delivered within 6 days (from Hong Kong!) all OEM kit with a full wiring loom (around £28 delivered).

The fitting:

Used OEM cloth tape to wrap the red and brown wiring loom for a better look once installed. Got the lights laid out on my living room floor to ensure I had them in the best possible layout for the fitting. Numbered them 1-4, again to help with the layout when in the car

1. Passenger footwell
  2. Passenger rear footwell (under front seat)
  3. Drivers footwell
  4. Driver’s side rear footwell (under drivers seat)

Note: my car (’63 plate built Nov/Dec 2013) already had the cut outs for the lights and routing for the wiring – not sure all UK cars are similar.

Wiring part I

Two cables – red for connecting to Plug C and brown for earthing. The red cable is already supplied with the correct VW pin for inserting into the control module.

Trim removal:

(most of the main part is on the passenger’s side to access the Plug control module). Remove the bonnet release handle – I found this pops off with a small amount of force to get it off its ratchet. Under the handle is a small plastic screw fixing that needs gentle removal using pliers/plastic prying tool (I manage the snap the head off this) and remove the fixing. Then remove the side panel to the left of the dashboard, the panel where the bonnet release was (connected to the door sill trim) can all be unclipped (gently!) and moved aside. Finally remove the glove box and now you have ‘better access to the electrics. I also removed the side kick panel on the passenger’s side (one torx fixing) and the longer trim that runs alongside the lower center console. I did the same on the driver’s side (along with the foot rest) to enable easy routing for the driver’s side lights. The side trim is similar removal to the passenger’s side but without the bonnet release.

Wiring part II

Remove Plug C from the BCM – this up to the left of the fuse box as you look straight ahead. There are three plugs – Plug C is the closest to you (Plug A being furthest away). There is a white clip holding the plug in place, you simply press just under this and gently pull the clip downwards – the plug will disconnect and you can remove it downwards. Where the cables go into the plug is a small cable tie that will need to be cut off (carefully) – once off the inner part can be removed by moving the holding lugs on either side out slightly and puling the inner part out. It will be in two sections – the section needed is the right hand part, insert the red cable into the connector numbered ‘72’ until clicks into place. Once done reconnect all this (I used some cloth tape to make the red wire look OEM and neater – my OCD would allow nothing less!).  This can all be put back into place and reconnected. The earth lead just needs connecting to a body point – a couple are near by.

Route the passenger wiring up to the pre-cut lamp holder hole and attach the light fitting with the caballing. The rear cable needs to be routed along the existing cable runs that sit under the door sill trim – I found I could get this back to where the seat runner bolts are and just lift the carpet slightly to get the cable to an area where there is a cut-out for the seat wiring (I have electric and heated seats, so plenty of cable entry points). The wiring easily reached the lamp holder cut out under the seat and fitted neatly.

Run the driver’s side through the area where the kick panels where removed and run the front similar to the passenger side and exactly the same procedure for the rear as before.

Whew – that’s all done now just reverse all the procedure to re-fit the trim.

Coding:

First part:

Controller 09 - Central Electronics

16 - Security Access - enter 31347

10 - Adaptations

Go to

(8)-Interior light; light configuration-Fussraumbeleuchtung

Change value from ‘not installed’ to ‘installed’

(This puts the footwell light % setting in the infotainment system (under lights))

Still in Adaptations

Go to

(4)-Leuchte30FR LC72-Lichtfunktion A 30

Change this value from ‘not active’ to ‘Footwell light’ from the dropdown menu

Next

Go to

(1)-Leuchte30FR LC72-Lasttyp 30

Change this value from ‘not active’ to ‘18 – 2* 5W’

Next

Go to

(6)-Leuchte30FR LC72-Dimmwert AB 30

Change this value from ‘0’ to ‘89’ or whatever value you want up to 100 I guess (this is where we set the highest brightness level)

If you just go back and make the changes here without exiting i.e. staying in Adaptations, you can do all in one go otherwise you have to go back in.

That’s it for adaptions – now go into;

Coding – Long coding (I used the latest vcds Beta 14.5.3 as this shows the labels for the Bytes – the 12.12 version just show tick boxes).

Go to Byte 5 and ensure Bit 7 is ticked – Footwell lights installed.

Go to Byte 17 and ensure Bit 3 is ticked – Ambient footwell lights(s) installed.

Hit Exit, allow the coding to be changed and that should be that.

Check all the wiring, and test by opening the doors – they should come on at the highest level, and go off with the interior lights. Then switch on the dipped beams and the should light up at the level set in the infotainment unit 0% off, up to 100% full.

Now sit back and be happy you have managed to fit an item that is peanuts to our European cousins (11 euros apparently as an option!) and standard for the new L&K model.

Tip of the hat and thanks to andyvee for help and advice on all matters relating to vcds and adaptations.

Thanks also to nokiauk for the screen shots of the Bytes in long coding above and for help with sending me his adaptations maps for me to compare his (footwell light-equipped) Seat Leon SE to my own car to finally dig out the codings.

Thanks for this great guide quick question I have had my kit turn up today it all looks to be genuine parts or very good quality copies but has come with two separate looms one long one short any ideas if I just use the short one for the passenger side and the long one for the drivers side also they are separate with a connector pin on each one and I am guessing that there is only one socket on the bcm plug so will have to cut and join the two together?

Do you have pics? That sounds odd. Mine had two short and two longer; the longer ones being for the rear footwells as they have to be routed to the bottom and rear of the front seats. Mine also came as one loom, with a separate pin wire to plug into the BCM.

Can I ask what may seem like a daft question, as I’m gearing up for this retrofit myself shortly, is this the bold sport kit that works? http://www.bold-sport.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&keyword=Footwell&product_id=131 only ask as they don’t list anything for Golf 7, only 6. If not, can someone link me to the right place please? I’ll be doing LED mod all round on my interior lights shortly as well. Probably white all round, but tempted to go purple or pink as it’d look awesome as ambient lighting and I haven’t done anything ridiculously girly on this car to wind my other half up yet so better think of something! Saw a post from someone asking about installing FL ambient lighting in the doors the other day, don’t think it got a reply so I take it that is a no at this point.

6 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

Can I ask what may seem like a daft question, as I’m gearing up for this retrofit myself shortly, is this the bold sport kit that works? http://www.bold-sport.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&keyword=Footwell&product_id=131 only ask as they don’t list anything for Golf 7, only 6. If not, can someone link me to the right place please? I’ll be doing LED mod all round on my interior lights shortly as well. Probably white all round, but tempted to go purple or pink as it’d look awesome as ambient lighting and I haven’t done anything ridiculously girly on this car to wind my other half up yet so better think of something! Saw a post from someone asking about installing FL ambient lighting in the doors the other day, don’t think it got a reply so I take it that is a no at this point.

I went with these ones but notice they are now unavailable, so probably not much help.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00S9G5ESK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They do say compatible with MK6 Golf though. Grab yourself some cloth loom tape as well if you don't have some, otherwise it will probably rattle. I wrapped my loom before installing:

LcHzhP.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah they say the same thing, Golf V, VI, Passat B6. I guess it doesn’t warrant a design change as it can’t be seen. I’ll sort some cloth tape out, thanks for reminding me! Looking at colour changing bulbs now!! Shame I can’t get a set with more than 2 in though. I gather this is going to become a slippery slope...

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

That looks to be the set I bought. I went with the LED upgrade, but they didn't send the bulbs, so not sure how good they are or if they are worth the extra. 

Given that everyone seems to run them at quite low brightness anyway, no need to spend a lot on the bulbs. Think I run at 20% if that.

21 minutes ago, WayTooTall said:

That looks to be the set I bought. I went with the LED upgrade, but they didn't send the bulbs, so not sure how good they are or if they are worth the extra. 

Given that everyone seems to run them at quite low brightness anyway, no need to spend a lot on the bulbs. Think I run at 20% if that.

Same, mine are at 10% anything more is way too bright at night with LEDs!