What Should I Say?

Expatman

A neighbour whose wife currently drives a diesel VW Golf  and does approx 4,000 miles per year on generally short local journeys has just told me that his wife liked the look of my Yeti so they had a test drive and have bought her one - a brand new diesel - to replace her 10 year old Golf. I mentioned that as her mileage was low perhaps a petrol would be best, however, he was at pains to tell me that they had bought another diesel because his wife didn't drive many miles so they wanted the economy and reliability of a diesel!

Question is do I say anything about using a modern diesel for short journeys and the need to drive sufficiently to regenerate the DPF regularly or keep quiet. They take delivery this weekend so too late to amend order or anything. 

A neighbour whose wife currently drives a diesel VW Golf  and does approx 4,000 miles per year on generally short local journeys has just told me that his wife liked the look of my Yeti so they had a test drive and have bought her one - a brand new diesel - to replace her 10 year old Golf. I mentioned that as her mileage was low perhaps a petrol would be best, however, he was at pains to tell me that they had bought another diesel because his wife didn't drive many miles so they wanted the economy and reliability of a diesel!

Question is do I say anything about using a modern diesel for short journeys and the need to drive sufficiently to regenerate the DPF regularly or keep quiet. They take delivery this weekend so too late to amend order or anything. 

I would say nothing and let them enjoy their new car

• Like 1

As they know nothing about modern diesels, keep a camcorder handy for that moment when the Fire Service are called midway through a DPF regen :happy:

Why would the Fire Brigade be needed?

True,

forget the FB and let it be a total loss. See if the GAP is any good.

Then they can go buy a proper car from a more up market manufacturer.

maybe a VW diesel.

Joke, sorry, unfunny joke from me.

we know Skodas do no suffer from DPF issues, (well not the Petrol ones)

or so i read someplace.

On here i think it might have been.

???

Was that to OT for the Yeti section, am i being 'reported' and going to have my post deleted?

This will be the first and last Skoda they ever own, then.

I personally would tell them something. 'Really? The salesman sold you a diesel? I didn't think you drove enough for the particulate filter to not clog'

Yeah, it's their choice, but it doesn't appear to have been an informed one.

You can suggest to them that they use the diesel for longer runs to ensure the DPF gets a chance to regenerate; a modern diesel isn't the same as a 10 year old Golf. Perhaps a couple of links to a consumer website like Honest John?

I would congratulate them on buying a Skoda, & say hope they enjoy the car, - Then point them to briskoda enthusisatically saying how useful it is for all sort of information.

I would ask which dealer they bought from & stay away from them.

When we went to my local dealer ( i have had 5 cars from them already) and made strong enquiries about buying a Yeti, said he would not sell us a diesel as we only do 8-10k a year.

• Like 1

Sometimes these decisions are forced upon you.

I don't do many miles but like fairly good performance.

I wanted an Outdoor 4X4.

Couldn't justify the expense of an L & K.

Could I have chosen anything other that a Diesel?

Sometimes these decisions are forced upon you.

I don't do many miles but like fairly good performance.

I wanted an Outdoor 4X4.

Couldn't justify the expense of an L & K.

Could I have chosen anything other that a Diesel?

That is true.

I'd have been tempted by a used 1.8 TSI SE/Elegance in that situation.

• Like 1

Assuming you want to stay good neighbours, I would say all the right things about their new car when you see it (which I'm sure won't be hard) but just mention that with all modern diesels sometimes on low annual mileage cars the pdf filter needs to regenerate and that whilst it's not a big issue is isn't something that can be ignored.  You've opened the door to them asking for more information from you but not suggested they made a bad choice. By saying "all" you're not suggesting it's something unique to Skodas or Yetis and your conscience is clear if the pdf does cause them a problem later on.

I know how chuffed I was when I collected my Yeti and the last thing I would have wanted to hear was a lecture on how I'd basically wasted my hard earned cash. I agree a petrol might have suited them better but they've bought a diesel (and I can understand why; this is my first petrol engine in more than 20 years - it took a lot to get my head around that both engines and my needs have changed over that time). Could be that although the annual mileage is low there are enough decent runs for them not to have any problems anyway.

(Perhaps the two thing you should mention are taking a Freedom membership for Briskoda (so you can read up on all things that could go wrong in the future - best to do this just before you go to bed) and if its not a Greenline fitting 16" Moon alloys - we are running out of members in the Special Small Wheels Club!). Cue debate about the relative merit of 16" and 17" wheels.....

• Like 1

There has been a lot of focus on the DPF but not much on the economics. The neighbour appears to believe that the diesel will be cheaper to run than a petrol.

SE Greenline 1.6TDi 105PS £19,605 OTR. Combined cycle 61.4 mpg. VED £0

SE 1.2TSi 105 PS £18,110 OTR. Combined cycle 46.3 mpg. VED £140

Using assumed fuel prices of £1.35 for diesel and £1.28 for petrol, using 4,000 miles a year and taking all above into account, it will take just over 6 years for the diesel car to pay back the extra cost of purchase. This assumes equivalent running costs in terms of servicing, tyres, insurance etc. Don't forget, you can use the cheaper 502 oil in a gasoline on fixed servicing. ;)

Edited by weasley
  • Like 1

I'm probably out of my depth talking technically, but I've just been sold a 2.0 TDI under the understanding of doing 10-12k a year. My current car is a diesel and haven't had any issues with that, done 45k since new 5 years ago. I know longer runs help regen and get some original performance back but day to day it doesn't struggle. Am I missing something?

Why would the Fire Brigade be needed?

For when the Yeti comes into view at low speed, half-way through an induced regen. cycle.

Our Yeti CR110 has done 18000m in the 10.5 months we've had it so far. Usually a mix of 6 to 12 mile commuting trips in the hands of SWMBO, coupled with fairly regular M-way runs of 80+ up to Whitley Bay or further afield like Hertfordshire. It normally gets chance to clear the DPF on the motorway therefore. Last week though, it was on a longer than normal spell of 6-mile commuting only. SWMBO came gently down the street oblivious to any potential problem of this nature, closely followed by the local window cleaner, who was worried that the cloud of black smoke being emitted might be a sign of a major problem. "Like it was on fire" were indeed in the words used to describe the smoke being emitted. 

I've been monitoring the Yeti's orifices (! Bob Alert?) for several days since, every time SWMBO drives off. Clean as a whistle. Just the normal slight steam condensate this morning in the frost. Hence I've allocated last week's "cloud of smoke" incident to a DPF regen being in progress as the window cleaner observed the car coming home.

The story does illustrate quite nicely though, how someone who has never heard of a "DPF", never mind "regenerating" it, could think there was a fire in progress!  (There is I guess - but inside the combustion chambers and DPF?)

Edited by FlintstoneR1

Skoda produce a leaflet about looking after a vehicle with DPF, I think specifically for the CR engine. Why not give/download a copy for them and when admiring their Pride and Joy, just say not sure if your last vehicle had a DPF, but thought this might be handy/useful for you.

You've fulfilled your Good Neighbour Obligation, and it will be now down to them how they use the vehicle,or what they do next.

Fin

Which is what some Dealerships do.

First i came across doing it was 'Alastair Flemings Group'  Dealerships, with Seat & Citroens, 

& then various other Brands Dealerships, 

it was particularly necessary where Hire Car & Mini Cab drivers were leasing or buying and pretending to be Private Buyers.

But as important to those looking to buy the cars they heard could do 88 mpg and the likes,

and they thought needing only 100 Gallons a year would be a good idea when buying a new car.

The Salesperson gives you the low down, and before you order or purchase the vehicle you sign a Declaration that 

the DPF & Modern Diesels have been explained to you and you were given the Document explaining it all.

Friend of mine had new 1.6 diesel Urban Yeti and wasn't impressed with mpg, asked what annual mileage she anticipated, she said 'around 5-8000'!

I checked maxi dot trip computer which showed average mph as 19! 'That's why mpg is low', I explained. Also told her that it would improve as engine loosened up. Despite poor initial comsumption, my petrol 1.2 is now nearly up to 40 mpg as it reaches 10,000 miles.

Gently inquired why she bought diesel, 'it was what was in stock' was the reply. I didn't rubbish her pride & joy but thought some salesmen really take advantage of customers who don't really know the pros and cons of petrol v diesel.

OP. Not sensible to rain on their parade 'cos it's done now!!!

I gave considerable thought to diesel or petrol choice. I only do about 7/8000 a year, but tow for 2000 miles of that. I do on average 2 x 10 mile return trips to work a week, cycling the other 3 days and rest of the time for short trips. The 1.2 petrol would have coped, but I wanted somethiong in reserve and went for the 2.0 diesel.

I do several 600 and 200 mile return trips visiting elderly mother and for university drop-off/collections, so I'm hoping I will be OK. If not I have accepted the fact I have to take the boss shoping at one of those hideous out of town shopping centres 20 miles away to clean the dpf out on the dual carriageway. Not to much of a hardship.

Colin

Is 'short journey DPF death' an actual occurrence or just another urban myth (we get plenty of those in aviation).

Okay, such an existence may not be the healthiest option for a DPF but does it actually, really, with factual evidence result in failure and/or damage to a Yeti or unnecessary expenditure for its owner?

Newcomers reading this thread trying to glean information could form the opinion that a diesel Yeti will automatically explode in a cloud of soot if driven at anything less than 60mph on the open road for at least 50 miles per journey....

Hasn't happened in my own humble experience.