Show your Octavia III Dashcam setups

I've installed a Mini 0801 behind the rear view mirror and i am impressed with it, I'm not going to hardwire it as its as easy to plug it out of the lighter. i just tucked the wire away neatly and you only see the few inches of wire that goes from under the glovebox to the socket, i am going to get one for the rear as well...

Here's the linky to a blog on dashcams

Exact same set up as mine. Wire tuck neatly into the lining all around the top, side and under the glove box with only a small amount of wiring to the charge point.

Edited by ajtrader100
  • Like 1

I looked up the Möbius camera. Technoman does a great review on YouTube and the picture quality in light and at night is clearly excellent.  So I've ordered 2, they are in the post.  I hope to mount with just a bit of Velcro to the underside of the lane assist camera and the high level brake light.  I have already received the car wiring kit for them, this hardwires in and seemed a tiny bit cheaper than a power socket and a USB socket for that ( only by a pound or so) . still need to sort out fuses and piggy back holders but so far, 2 cameras, with 32gb SD cards, 2 leads, some Velcro...  investment is about £115.  I've gone for wide angle lensed cameras BTW.  Also got a waterproof case and helmet mount as intend to try out as a bike helmet cam, if it works I'll get a third camera in.

If you're hooking these upto the car all the time it would be worth ordering the super capacitors for them as it saves the battery getting hammered. It's a 5 minute job to swap things over if that.

I used the JooVuu store for speed on these as they don't cost too muh.

Also, these do motion detection so can be used with the power boxes as well if you want it on all the time though there are cheaper ones available.

If you're hooking these upto the car all the time it would be worth ordering the super capacitors for them as it saves the battery getting hammered. It's a 5 minute job to swap things over if that.

I used the JooVuu store for speed on these as they don't cost too muh.

Also, these do motion detection so can be used with the power boxes as well if you want it on all the time though there are cheaper ones available.

Cheers I'll look into those. I know they have lots of modes, I was wondering if they could run (perhaps in a low power/photo per second kind of mode) while running on their own - battery but in full spec mode when powered by the car.  I'll wire them in on an ignition switched live almost certainly, and would like it if they staid on, powered from their own battery, for 1 or 2 hours. That would cover the majority of time the car is unattended and away from home/other fairly safe parking (ie most shopping trips)

BTW, I ordered the cameras from bang good as they were cheap and packaged with SD cards.  They were out of stock initially though so there has been a sort delay, but they've kept me informed and I suspect the package will be on the door mat when I get home tonight.

Ordered my Mobius from carcamerashop last week and fitted it this weekend, found it very easy to route the 3m cable from the mirror along the headline, down the pillar and through the dash to the 12v sig supply (which annoys me that it's constant!) IF i forget to unplug the camera one night will it drain the battery or is there a cut off to reserve power to start the engine?

• 3 weeks later...

Based on this and Techmoan reviews I bought a Mobius from Joovuu. Mounted using velcro under the rainsensor housing as in Loadswine Post #49. Plugged into USB outlet. Plan to wire more permanently later.

Only problem is with the current heat the glue on the velcro pad melts and the camera falls down! Need to try the suction mount, but its not stealthy!

Damn, that was what I was going to do ( only got the camera recently, my order to yonks to arrive).  I'll explore another option.... I bought a helmet mount for the camera too, may be possible to neatly mount it off the rain sensor with that.  Not as big and ugly as a suction mount.... I'll report back.

I had contemplated sticking my Blackvue to the bottom of the lane assist camera but i've a feeling over time any adhesive will damage the paint on the plastic and could pull it all off on removal.

Based on this and Techmoan reviews I bought a Mobius from Joovuu. Mounted using velcro under the rainsensor housing as in Loadswine Post #49. Plugged into USB outlet. Plan to wire more permanently later.

Only problem is with the current heat the glue on the velcro pad melts and the camera falls down! Need to try the suction mount, but its not stealthy!

Have you tried clipping the camera in the mount without the screw adaptor fitted and flipping the camera over so the heat sink points down. There's a feature you can configure to flip the video 180 degrees.

Yes it was upside down. I wanted to be able to press buttons if I needed to. The invert picture function is a great feature. Overall I'm very impressed with the Möbius. I know the 0803 has a screen but it didn't seem to fit where I wanted it too without attracting attention.

I guess I need to remove the camera when parked on a hot day.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I've got a blackvue with the smart power box, 32gb card gives me 3 days recording, that's with parking, normal, and event mode. Video quality great day and night

Which model is it? I'm looking at the new 650 2ch but not sure on the picture quality. I'd like the 2channel (front and back) but not sure if it's worth just going for a single channel to ensure the quality stays up, and just recording front?

I am more concerned about the vehicle being stolen. I would like to film potential thieves and have their images transmitted to a remote server while also tracking the vehicle at the same time. Are there any dash cams that can do this and perhaps start filming when people enter the vehicle.

I am more concerned about the vehicle being stolen. I would like to film potential thieves and have their images transmitted to a remote server while also tracking the vehicle at the same time. Are there any dash cams that can do this and perhaps start filming when people enter the vehicle.

Have a look at the 'TechMoan' videos; he has quite a few reviews and may have one on there for this.

I certainly know there are some that film in front and the cabin behind though as I saw one when perusing for mine on YouTube. I believe they're very popular with cabbies for obvious reasons. May have even been from a link on the Briskoda forums.

I'm interested in the Mobius Action Cam solution - is the connection micro or mini USB as some of the websites seem to contradict themselves on this. I'm looking at the permanent power supply for it - 

https://joovuu.com/gb/car-accessories-/108-car-camera-hardwire-kit.html

Has anyone any experience of the 803 as well - it seems a decent spec?

https://joovuu.com/gb/home/106-mini-0803.html

Ok the camera is attached to the screen, behind the mirror on the right hand side, and the cable is routed round to the glove box under the trim. It's barely visible at all from the drivers seat, but is easy to get at if I need to store a recording - the mirror folds out of the way.

I've not yet wired it in as I'm in two minds whether to buy a piggyback fuse or do the job properly and add an extra fuse in one of the blank slots. How easy is it to do the latter? Will I be able to get a piggyback from a euro car parts or similar, or do I stick to ebay?

Which fuse did people use? A full size or mini one?

I think I'm also going to replace the sticky pad I've used with a Velcro one as it will allow me to tweak the position a bit after testing, and the pad is a light grey which makes it too visible.

Stick to ebay. The blade holders are quick to fit and saves haven't to dismantle any fuse box bits. Then it allows easy and quick removal when/if needed.

This is the one I got for mine;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Add-Circuit-Fuse-Tap-Piggy-Back-Standard-Blade-Fuse-Holder-ATO-ATC-12v-24v-/400757936254?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Terminals_Cabling_ET&hash=item5d4f08d07e

Get some spare fuses at the same time. I put the things in wrong first go and managed to blow one and gave me a few head scratching moments as to why the damn thing wasn't powering up. :)

Have ordered a holder and I've got plenty of spare fuses in the garage. Should be here tomorrow or friday and will finish it off then.

The multimeter is on standby to test voltages before I put the fuses back in :)