Any one beat this mpg

Don't want to poo-poo your achievement, but it means not a lot unless the mpg translates into £'s over a decent amount of time.

I've seen a lot of impressive figures from fuel 'computers' over the years but long term they don't translate

My mpg has been getting better now the car has some miles on and the warmer weather has arrived, but yesterday I just couldn't believe my eyes. image.jpg

No where near. But I'm impressed with managing to get 28mpg last night on the way home from work. From a diesel. It was a FUN drive! :)

Yes it does. Either you drive a bit faster as the conditions are better or get stuck behind a convoy of caravans meaning your mpg is crap anyway then you get a chance to pass and floor it making it even worse. :P

I saw 71 mpg a week or so ago going into Leeds from Sheff off peak, and bearing in mind road works limiting to 50mpg for most of the journey, not so surprising but regularly getting over 60 on various trips but only seems to translate to mid 50s over a tank.

Whay factors specifically?

Sent using tapatalk

one is the fact that with cooler air temps, the engine will take longer to warm up and therefore take longer before its working at full efficiency and returning better mpg figures. :)

I would be very wary of any fuel consumption figures apart from those measured directly, i.e., by simply noting the mileage and quantity of fuel taken on at each fill-up.

The actual fuel consumption of my MkII 4x4 diesel estate, as measured in this way, is 42mpg.  This is despite the on-board computer showing an apparent fuel consumption of nearly 50mpg at the end of each trip I do.

Edited by Stuarted

Actually yes, yes I can:

e51354a9.jpg

That was recorded in my previous mk2 FL Greenline over 42 miles from South Wales to the Portbury dock in Bristol. The Maxidot in that car was always within 2% accurate so make of that what you want.

Whay factors specifically?

Sent using tapatalk

Rather than me cut & paste the reasons from other websites, I think this link summarises it quite well -

http://www.metrompg.com/posts/winter-mpg.htm

I must repeat that I agree engines DO operate better with cold air rather than hotter air as for reasons already mentioned.

It is just taking all things that affect fuel comsumption you will see a drop in your average during winter compared to summer (I am also assuming UK seasons or similar climates here aswell)

I have done the same 100 minute journey to work every day for the last 17 years. My summer mpg per trip is always 3-4 mpg better than the winter in my Superb Greenline and the same happened with by previous Fords and Vauxhalls before it.  Last week I saw 80.2 mpg for the trip as I pulled off the motorway a mile from work, which is the best so far this year, but during the winter I was struggling to get 75 mpg even when I had a good traffic free run.   I know where I loose the economy in the winter. Its in the first 15 miles cross country to where I pull onto the motorway, and the economy difference is quite striking.  I put it down to the car standing still for 5 minutes after first start while I clear the ice or demist, and secondly it warms a lot slower when its cold and may use a slightly richer mixture due to the low temperatures. After 15 miles of my journey in the Summer I am getting a typical average of 62 mpg, but in the winter it is still showing 45-48. That is where I am losing the overall 3-4 mpg in winter.

My Greenline overall for the last 12,000 miles has averaged 66.7 mpg.

Edited by Pesmog
  • Like 1

I'm not paranoid enough to calculate the fuel consumption after every fill, but certainly the big 2.0D Octavia Elegance is getting very similar results to my previous tiny Toyota Yaris 1.4D and I was never expecting that. Very impressive car all round, the fuel consumption definitely one of the strong points.

And to add to the debate above, fuel consumption over the winter is around 3 mpg worse than that achieved in the summer months.

Edited by Timoctav

My winter mpg is always a good 5mpg worse in every car I have owned.

I know the trip computer is only a guide, I was seeing 58 in the winter then picked up to 60 as the frost and minus temps went. Now temp has got into double figures I am seeing 65mpg again.

My head unit is Amundsen, I note you have the name Amundsen on it. Mine doesn't? It came out the factory the other week, is yours an older model?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, early models had the name of the unit at the top, this changed with the MY14 models which started to land around July 2013.