New Maps now available to download

great news i got it sorted out.

in case someone needs to do it on a mac this is what i did.

Format the SD card, to FAT.

open mac terminal, and go to the card

cd /Volumes/<name_of_your_sdcard>

7z x ../path/to/archive/P88_N60S5MIBH3_EU_NT_Q3.13_Mib1.7z

## then it will extract to the card itself.

Sometimes spotlight can be very annoying and put some of it's folders inside the card even if you don't open it in finder. But from terminal we can actually erase those using:

rm -rf .Spotlight-V100

Update is working fine now !

• Like 2

It worked fine on the 32gb SD card I normally use in my gopro. Its already NTFS so I just deleted the files that were already on it and after extracting the files on the PC with winrar I just copied them across and popped it in the car and it picked it up and started the update fine. On a Columbus this is.

I think they may have released this early because people were finding that the previous update for the Amundsen would not work. I downloaded several times and every time 7zip wouldn't open the downloads, and the agent said that other people were having the same problem. I have to say I think this process is absolutely crap, if they are offering free updates for 3 years they should just swap your SD card and not expect their customers to fight the IT.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can't get the site to read in English. Have tried  IE & Firefox.

Anyone else having this problem?

Make sure the last two letters of the website name are /en and not the Czech equivalent.

Website is ****e. Tried to download the Amundsen maps through my corporate network thats robust and has pretty good internet bandwidth and it failed at 40% having already spent several hours getting to that point. Tried to download the individual parts but they failed just the same.

I used to be an infrastructure engineer and would say the failures are more likely to do with timeouts/over-subscription at the server/host network end; the world and his wife trying to pull a funnels worth of data all at the same time through a straw.

Website is ****e. Tried to download the Amundsen maps through my corporate network thats robust and has pretty good internet bandwidth and it failed at 40% having already spent several hours getting to that point. Tried to download the individual parts but they failed just the same.

I used to be an infrastructure engineer and would say the failures are more likely to do with timeouts/over-subscription at the server/host network end; the world and his wife trying to pull a funnels worth of data all at the same time through a straw.

I completely agree I downloaded at work as we have a super fast connection as we are an IT support company, it took 4 goes to download the Columbus update, first attempt to download the complete file said it was going to take over a day, after an hour I canceled it, second attempt I downloaded all the individual files which took and 2 hours, I tried to extract and it said it was corrupt, third time I got to 2GB on the full download and it failed.

The final time was yesterday to download the complete file, again it said it was going to take over a day, I ended up leaving work PC on overnight, I have remote controlled the PC this morning and extracted it.

Absolute joke :swear:

I agree, 18GB is a lot to download, even as 18 1Gb files. It took me 2 attempts to download it uncorrupted, the best thing was the crappy 7zip software couldn't even tell me which part was corrupted so had to download the whole lot again.

5Gb for Amundsen isn't too bad in comparison.

Never had any issues for me . I have sky connection with max speed of 5 mb/sec and i downloaded 3 updates from this site previously with no issues at all. I used a software called Down Accelerator Plus (DAP) to download these files. 

Edited by dellfan

Bit late to post on this topic, but for fellow Mac users I had no problems updating. I first downloaded a (free) program called Keka which supports the .7z file, then downloaded the sat nav file from the website...yes it took 4 hours on my fibre optic connection.

I removed the files that were on the Sat Nav SD card into a back up folder on my desktop in case it all went pear shaped and then extracted the downloaded files using Keka onto the SD card, safely ejected and then placed back into my car. 

It loaded in about 5 minutes and has been fine since :)

You can just turn the Columbus on and update it without turning the ignition on. Lock the car, come back in about an hour and check on it. If the head unit has gone to sleep just turn it back on again and it will resume. No need to have the engine running etc. and it will resume the upgrade multiple times if the head unit goes to sleep.

If you are a little paranoid about the update process like me, you can also stay with the car as the nice thing is that the Radio & Media functions work fine during the whole update process. :)

Bit late to post on this topic, but for fellow Mac users I had no problems updating. I first downloaded a (free) program called Keka which supports the .7z file, then downloaded the sat nav file from the website...yes it took 4 hours on my fibre optic connection.

I removed the files that were on the Sat Nav SD card into a back up folder on my desktop in case it all went pear shaped and then extracted the downloaded files using Keka onto the SD card, safely ejected and then placed back into my car. 

It loaded in about 5 minutes and has been fine since :)

Probably worthwhile saying if you are doing the Columbus or Amundsen download and update procedure - there is a huge difference between downloading 18Gb (Columbus) or 5Gb (Amundsen) and copying 19Gb to the internal hard drive of the infotainment unit (Columbus) or just putting a SD card in a slot (Amundsen).

Probably worthwhile saying if you are doing the Columbus or Amundsen download and update procedure - there is a huge difference between downloading 18Gb (Columbus) or 5Gb (Amundsen) and copying 19Gb to the internal hard drive of the infotainment unit (Columbus) or just putting a SD card in a slot (Amundsen).

Yes Andy you're right, apologies. It was for the amundsen :)

• Like 1

Not convinced the gains are worth the risks involved given the reported issues with upgrading. Would be nice to know what is added by the upgrade first. Apart from downloading the s/w in the first place it takes 4 hours to update? I am from the school of it ain't broke don't fix it...

Edited by Steveh3
  • Like 1

Would be nice to know what is added by the upgrade first.

Err, new maps...?  It all depends on whether you're bothered about driving around with out-of-date maps.  If you live somewhere and go places where the roads don't change, then you may not be bothered.  I agree, it sounds like the upgrade process is seriously stupid... but then it's a belt and braces thing (i.e. load an entire data set rather than 'patching' - less scope for errors because people could be patching from different versions etc.) to make it 'easier' for people to do it at home themselves rather than having to take it to a dealer.

It's no different to the way TomTom do their updates - only their's aren't 18GB in size (most of which, I'm convinced, is the stupid GraceNotes database that I could live without).

• Like 1

The Columbus maps are larger because they have the 3D mapping for cities etc.

The Gracenote database doesn't get updated as part of the map updates. I haven't found out how it can be updated yet, and my dealer doesn't know either.

The Columbus maps are larger because they have the 3D mapping for cities etc.

I could live without, if I'm being honest (and could definitely live without the Gracenote DB).  Must admit the main reason for getting the Columbus was the larger screen.

How big is the data set once extracted from the 18GB archive?  I think someone said 27GB on here... there really must be optimisations that can be made - TomTom's Western Europe app on the iPhone takes up < 2GB of space.  Is there really 25GB worth of 3D models in there?  Or are Nokia's "Here" maps (which I believe VAG now use) really that big?  Do they have an unbelievably massive POI database?  It just seems... wrong - but I can't quite put my finger on why.