Excessive front tyre wear...

Hi there,

Had my Octavia since Jan, and its done 7015 Miles. Front tyres are now knackers... wierd thing is, the inside treat is pretty good, the outside its wrecked... Rear tyres are absolutely fine.

Ive read the stock conti's wear really quickly, but having to replace after 7k is not good! Sure i sometimes drive with a little bit  of pace, but its not as if im racing round a track!

Anyone else having quick wear?

Cheers,

Jack

Thats my rear tyre... which is fine.. i cant upload a picture of my front tyre becuase its above the maximum mb upload size on this website :(

Stick 'em up on Photobucket, Jack.  It's free and you can store 1000s of pix on there.

Edited by Smeghead

Guest Cossiecol

There was a thread on here not that long ago and the guy/user got them replaced for free (I think) by complaining.

Might be worth a shout.

photobucket pictures here.... the rear ones are okay though, does that not suggest the tracking is ok?

http://s1362.photobucket.com/user/jackmiers/library/

No necessarily.  The fronts have a lot more work to do than the rears due to steering, braking and power deliver.

There are various angles at work at the front, most of which which apply to the rears too - Toe-in/out, kingpin inclination, camber, ackermann (not rear unless you have a car with 4WS) etc - even tyre pressures can make a big difference.

As the power goes through the fronts and they are doing all the steering and 75% of the braking, any unusual wear will be exaggerated.  

As others have said, get a full 4 wheel alignment done to be safe.  You might find you get noticeably better MPG as a byproduct of a well aligned suspension system.

I have just changed my conti 2s at 8k miles on the front and I would say they wear down very quickly but I have now fitted Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 and they are a much better tyre, so it wil be interesting to see how long they last compared to the conti 2s.

Need to change the fronts on mine as damage to the side wall (tho not punctured is a slice through and can see mental thread). Anyway thinking of trying Goodyear efficientgrip performance. Anyone had them? To be fair the conti tyres that came on the car have done over 10k on the back and zero wear fronts were around 5/6mm remaining

• Like 1

Need to change the fronts on mine as damage to the side wall (tho not punctured is a slice through and can see mental thread). Anyway thinking of trying Goodyear efficientgrip performance. Anyone had them? To be fair the conti tyres that came on the car have done over 10k on the back and zero wear fronts were around 5/6mm remaining

Lady ,the Goodyears are pretty good on wear rate and quieter or they were on my Partners Fabia vRS

9000 miles , Contis all round, fronts still at 4-5 mm and rears as new 6-7 mm.

Driving style , I consider smooth  but reasonably quick.

Thanks think I saw they were B rating on fuel, A rating in rain and mid in noise. Didn't know if they lasted long tho lol.

Autoexpress did a test last year.

It is always a compromise - if you want good grip it will be a softer compound and will therefore wear quicker.

If you want energy efficient it will be a harder compound, slightly less grip, but will last longer.

My Conti 2's down to 3mm on front with cut in sidewall now. Exactly 10,000 on the clock. Rear at 5mm. Looking at Conti 5 tyres. Skoda quoted £152/tyre to replace with Conti 2!!

That's ridiculous - I bought Conti SC5's in 225/40R18 92 Y for £85+VAT about 18 months ago.

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2's were about the same price, but couldn't find a set of four at the time, they were in very short supply.

MY car arrived this month fitted with Bridgestone tyres. Will be interesting to see how long these last. wonder if they were changed due to complaints about continentals.

The emergency spare is continental.

• Like 2

MY car arrived this month fitted with Bridgestone tyres. Will be interesting to see how long these last. wonder if they were changed due to complaints about continentals.

The emergency spare is continental.

Keep us posted