Dilemma!

Hi all,

I've run into a major headache, just got a new job which means a 70 mile trip to & from work each day. The problem part of it is I picked up my new VRs Tsi in mid-Feb, when I wasn't doing many miles at all!! The fuel costs for the run to work are going to be pretty high (560 miles per set of shifts), & the sensible option would be a diesel. I'm aware that if I change I'm going to be hit in the pocket badly but will it be worth it long term, with the better fuel consumption the diesel will give? The commute will be 90% motorway, down the M4 to Heathrow so I should get around 380-400 miles from the VRs  per tank. 

The other thing is, I really like the petrol Vrs & I'm trying to decide if the car can justify how high the fuel costs are going to be   :wall:    

Any help/advice/thoughts would be very welcome!!

Cheers

So you are going to  be looking over 30000 miles per year just for commuting?

That mileage, isnt diesel a no brainer? Also, doesnt the diesel have better residuals?

On a motorway at 70, a diesel 150hp, you are looking about 65mpg to begin with. Over a full tank, look at about 60mpg.

This should get better as the miles pile on.

• Like 1

I had thought about the diesel VRs, but i wouldn't get the 0% finance, which I've got now.

I'll be working 4 on, 4 off, so around 40 sets of shifts per year. 

I'm guessing that what I'll save in fuel in the long run will offset the loss I'm going to take if I change the car so early. 

• Like 1

As long as you are given a fair price for your current car, changing early shouldnt make you any worse off.

Obviously sticking with Skoda will make it easier, as they will just ensure the car is fully paid off, then any monies left over, you put towards your new vehicle.

So you just have to work out whether the smaller fuel bills offset the larger expense of the new diesel. I think with your mileage it does.

When you say 4 on 4 off. Do you drive to and from work each day you work? You arent living at work for the 4 days are you?

LPG?

Having run LPG for 3 years, I wouldn't do it again.

No-one wants to buy the car when you come to sell, so unless you intend running it into the ground I wouldn't go there.

And your hands stink every time you fill it up ...........................

Just checked prices. The vRS is more expensive than an Octy Elegance 2l TDI 150hp.

So changing to this vehicle, you should be quids in.

I make your annual commuting mileage to be over 22000 miles. So you should be nicely into diesel territory, not that it should make a difference if you change to the Elegance TDI, as vehicle is, as mentioned, cheaper.

Edited by JungleJames

Just checked prices. The vRS is more expensive than an Octy Elegance 2l TDI 150hp.

So changing to this vehicle, you should be quids in.

I make your annual commuting mileage to be over 22000 miles. So you should be nicely into diesel territory, not that it should make a difference if you change to the Elegance TDI, as vehicle is, as mentioned, cheaper.

But the vRS will have a higher residual, so the monthlies aren't that different (not when I checked them out 7 months ago and added a few options to make them very similar spec).

Keep the TSI, I have a 150CR, and get about 500-520 miles on average to a tank, averaging mid-high 50s mpg, so your extra fuel cost would equate to about £20 per set of shifts, so £900 per year. If you chop a brand new vRS in now, I recon you'll lose at least £4k so I recon you keep the smile on your face and spread the cost at the pumps over at least the next couple of years, then chop it in when depreciation levels out a bit.

• Like 1

Keep the TSI, I have a 150CR, and get about 500-520 miles on average to a tank, averaging mid-high 50s mpg, so your extra fuel cost would equate to about £20 per set of shifts, so £900 per year. If you chop a brand new vRS in now, I recon you'll lose at least £4k so I recon you keep the smile on your face and spread the cost at the pumps over at least the next couple of years, then chop it in when depreciation levels out a bit.

Good point. You may lose out a bit if you give up the vRS now.

Afterall, the biggest drop is when you first take it off the forecourt. Probably should have thought of that.

Regarding fuel consumption. OK we dont see what we expect to see, but i reckon thats the same with the petrols as well.

so your extra fuel cost would equate to about £20 per set of shifts, so £900 per year.

Yeah, i reckon £900 to 1000 isnt too far out. Allowing a difference of about 20mpg

It's much better to keep the vRS TSI. Changing after 3months will cost you ££££'s which will take years to claw back in lower fuel bills on a diesel.

Thanks for all the input so far, much appreciated. I'm going to be working nights, so hopefully as I go in, everyone else is leaving London & vice versa! I don't start till July so i'll give it a few months & see what it's like anyway, only potential problem might be mileage on the PCP, it's 8000 per year!! Oops :giggle:

Thanks for all the input so far, much appreciated. I'm going to be working nights, so hopefully as I go in, everyone else is leaving London & vice versa! I don't start till July so i'll give it a few months & see what it's like anyway, only potential problem might be mileage on the PCP, it's 8000 per year!! Oops :giggle:

Only a problem if you hand the car back. If you pay it off or trade in against another car it doesn't matter.

Ah, my naivety.

Nuf said

James, I'm glad you really like your car, many on this site do like their own cars a lot but, you've gotta realise your car doesn't fit everybodies requirements, if it did Skoda wouldn't make another model would they.

BTW. I don't think the OP should change car's maybe just change driving style for the work commute 70mph and Eco mode possible, also accept the fact that you can't just hand the car back. An early exit from a new car is always very financially painful

Edited by themanwithnoaim

I've got a 60 mile round trip commute and have a 1.6tdi. Its about 50% motorway and, like you, do mostly nights. My average is around 55mpg, so if you can get 40 ish mpg from the vrs the difference is less than 20 mpg.

Your car might be better than you think in eco mode cruising on the motorway.

I have a vRS TSI combi and have a 100 mile round trip for my work commute. With petrol costing less than diesel and the sound and performance of the petrol version, I'm happy to take a small hit of being slightly worst of financially. I would say stick with your original choice. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Thanks for all the input so far, much appreciated. I'm going to be working nights, so hopefully as I go in, everyone else is leaving London & vice versa! I don't start till July so i'll give it a few months & see what it's like anyway, only potential problem might be mileage on the PCP, it's 8000 per year!! Oops :giggle:

Either way does not look very good..... change and loose big chunk of depreciation, keep but pay large excess mileage fee!