Which one should I go for?

Hi folks. Wondering if you can help me solve a dilemma I have. I'm looking at buying a family car and as I'm tall and drive with the seat all the way back, rear passenger legroom for the kids is key. The search has been narrowed down to a Superb or Ford Smax as rear legroom is vast in both. It has to be a diesel.

My question is: what diesel engine should I go for? Greenline? 140bhp or even 170bhp?

My driving is mainly motorway and A road for commuting and family stuff. The car will cover about 18k miles per year so clearly MPG is important. I would like something with a little punch for easy overtaking and speed changes on the motorway.

Would the Greenline feel underpowered when fully loading with wife, 2 kids and associated guff?

Would a Greenline + remap be the way forward or should I just opt for the 140bhp 2 litre?

How different are real world MPG figures across the range?

Sorry for all of the questions. Any advice or tips gratefully received! Thanks.

If you are already thinking of a re-map for a greenline then you have partly answered your own question regards power. If you don't want to scream about all the time, then opt for a 140 manual or 170 DSG if you like me cannot be bothered with all that gear changing.

But that's just my opinion.

• Like 1

Greenline is a great engine and does work with a Superb but will be underpowered under acceleration especially with a load.

Economy is obviously very good for the GL. Take a look around this forum and you'll see some of the figures bring quoted.

140 and 170 have similar fuel economy with the 170 having that extra bit if power when you really need it. Sounds like that's what you're looking for!

Space is not an issue with a Superb. You can put the drivers seat all the way back and still have room for a 6 foot plus in the rear!

Are you looking at new or nearly new? Personally I'd go for a 140 or 170 if you can. You will get 50mpg + with these engines (or at least you should). Maybe up to 60 mpg or more with the GL (it really does depend on a lot if factors) but as Zee says you've answers your question on power.

Good luck with the decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I drive a Greenline 3 Combi, regularly get 60mpg on my run into and out of work, a mixture of a31, a3 and stop start South London traffic. Granted it's not the quickest car in the world in terms of acceleration, but thats kind of not the point. Once you get there it will keep up with traffic, takes a bit of getting used to the gearing , but once you do its a good relaxed drive.

I have driven it with four fairly large adults on board and it felt fine, most of the time I just drive with 2 up. £30 road tax, reletively cheap insurance add to the mix.

Interior space and comfort are the point, it's not got all the latest kit compared with the Octavia 3, it's more like a big Octavia 2. It does feel well screwed together and solidly made.

Test drive a few with different engines and see what you think. My past four cars have all had the 2.0 TDI 140, I now have a Greenline 1.6 TDI Estate. Obviously the 2.0 has more power, but in real world driving the 1.6 is adequate and not that far behind a 140, with great fuel economy.

Since having mine new last year it has averaged just over 60mpg real world, sometimes over 70+ going carefully - if it's economy you want this is the one to go for.

I test drove a 170 and it goes very well, but most of my driving is spent going up and down the UK motorways so based on that the 1.6 still gives a relaxed drive so it suits my needs just fine.

More power is always nice but if most people are perfectly honest they don't need it - what people want and what you need are not the same things, have a test drive and go from there.

As much as the manufacturers would have us believe you can't have power and economy.

You always need to trade one off for the other.

I do 30,000 miles per year so economy was a key influence on my purchase decision, however I also like a little power when I need it (when loaded, brisk overtakes and a less stressed engine at speed) so I went for the CR140.

My Superb spends most of my three hour daily commute at speeds between 60mph and 80mph and after 28,000 miles / 49 tanks of diesel / 10 months I'm averaging 48.99 MPG (calculated manually using the brim-to-brim method not the on-board computer)...

Date            MPG

07/06/2013  55.98 

17/06/2013  53.60 

24/06/2013  53.91 

28/06/2013  52.71 

02/07/2013  53.34 

10/07/2013  53.26 

16/07/2013  52.41 

12/08/2013  50.93 

19/08/2013  52.50 

23/08/2013  50.70 

30/08/2013  52.01 

10/09/2013  51.36 

16/09/2013  51.24 

20/09/2013  51.48 

26/09/2013  51.22 

01/10/2013  50.89 

04/10/2013  49.81 

10/10/2013  49.78 

15/10/2013  49.32 

21/10/2013  49.26 

25/10/2013  48.84 

31/10/2013  49.46 

12/11/2013  48.21 

04/12/2013  47.80 

09/12/2013  49.19  Winter tyres fitted 

13/12/2013  48.87 

18/12/2013  45.56 

20/12/2013  44.51 

14/01/2014  47.82 

21/01/2014  44.39 

30/01/2014  46.43 

04/02/2014  44.19 

07/02/2014  45.63 

12/02/2014  44.70 

17/02/2014  44.38 

20/02/2014  46.85 

25/02/2014  44.99 

28/02/2014  46.39 

06/03/2014  47.02 

12/03/2014  46.04 

15/03/2014  45.59 

24/03/2014  48.56 

27/03/2014  46.71 

02/04/2014  48.78 

08/04/2014  47.56  Summer tyres fitted 

22/04/2014  44.23 

06/05/2014  50.56 

12/05/2014  48.78 

16/05/2014  50.00 

22/05/2014  51.50

Average      48.99

You can see that when the car was new (to me) I drove like a saint, nursing my pride and joy.

As my speeds gradually increased my economy dropped and it now seems to have settled. There are some anomolies (very late night prolonged high speed motorway runs after a late finish at work etc.) but I'm happy with my overall average and feel it paints an accurate or realistic fuel economy reading for the CR140 Twindoor.

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1

Greenline is an ace car. Mpg is incredible even when driven a little enthusiastically. A recent 4 up journey of 80 miles returned a pump to pump 69mpg on non motorway route.

Performance wise it is clearly not going to be up there with the 2.0 litre diesel, BUT, it really is surprisingly perky. Like many other Greenline owners, I was wondering whether the 1.6 would be underpowered for my needs. In my experience there is plenty of go in the car and it is a joy to drive. If I was buying tomorrow it would be Greenline again. I am also particularly pleased to have moved away from low profile tyres. I could never hear the radio in my FL VRS!

The Superb is Skoda's top model. In my opinion it justifies it's position in terms of ride and quality.

I guess it all comes down to what you want the car for. I wanted a quiet, refined cruiser that effortlessly soaks up motorway miles. The Greenline does it for me. Hit the cruise at 70 and enjoy the journey!

Good luck with your search.

I have a 140 and found the economy disappointing compared with the Saab auto diesel (convertible) I ran under similar conditions. The Skoda was always 4 or 5 mpg worse. A Racechip has improved things dramatically so, for me, maybe a 170 would have better suited my driving style - a recent trip to the Cotswolds using the M4/5 cruising at around 80 gave me 52 mpg on the MFD cw with 43 before. This economy is now often the case on longer faster runs - brilliant.

The reason I bought a 140 was at the time it was the only newish L&K Combi ( demonstrator) I could find in the UK in our budget, DSG was a must, 4x4 was not on the list but we were OK about it. The Fuelly figures are for full tanks over the last 5000m and are creeping up.

Having had the 140 and 170, I would say go for the 170 with DSG if the pennies stretch that far. I wasn't impressed with the 140 which replaced my 170 SE back in 2012.

I do a lot of driving through Europe to get back home to Nottingham and the Superb is an awesome mile muncher comfy quite and blasts along fantastically. I swapped my Superb last year for a mk3 VRS combi great car just not great on motorways (long distance) I am changing it this year to a fully loaded 170 Elegance estate cannot wait.

So in summary go for the 170 (DSG if possible).

• Like 1

What sort of MPG are you getting overall?  The GL seems to be awesome with nearly 60MPG allegedly!

I am averaging over 64mpg at the moment, though just over 70mpg to and from work and that is allowing for Maxi dot corrections. Locally around our village and town at the weekend mid 50's.

I love my Greenline. Ive had it 3 months now and it has already made a difference to my bank balance at the end of the month. Yes it wont win any land speed reccords but I cant say in my day to day driving that i have not found it to be lacking. Like has already been said you need to get used to the gearing as it is slightly different. But i get 60mpg+ on my daily trip to work and back. The big sway for me was the cheap tax, cheap insurance and good mpg. I came from a vRS and cant say I miss it.

Edited by Wizzmed
  • Like 1

I have 170 HP / 350 Nm 4x4. It is decent engine, but extra 30 HP / 50 Nm would be good to have. When you carrying more people and have a road full of trucks to overtake - at some point I start missing more powerful engine. 

And mpg comparisons are quite subjective thing without knowing driver's driving style. E.g. how many times you hit rev-limiter during trip to work :D

Now I have 40 mpg (during winter it was 47) - which is pretty good with  my driving style. But having in mind that my ex Volvo V70 with 5 cylinder bi-turbo diesel with 225 Hm / 460 HP had 35 mpg - I do not see Superb's consumption mach the power loss...

Edited by LS108

My results are due to: -

1. Driving at lorry speeds, 56mph as it makes such little difference to and from work and I am relaxed.

2. Very little use of the brakes as I try to anticipate as much as possible.

When I drive my wife's Yaris (D4D T Spirit) I get 6-7mpg more than the wife. 

As has been said it is how you drive.

By the way what is the middle and especially the outside lanes of the motorway like. :D

Having stated the above when we go to Scotland (400 miles each way) I travel at 70-80mph and get about 50mpg.

Having stated the above when we go to Scotland (400 miles each way) I travel at 70-80mph and get about 50mpg.

So that's what I am saying :) Usually half of my mileage are motorways and I usually travel at 140-160 km/h. 

• 4 months later...

Back on the search now as I have the funds to purchase.    Looking at 11/61/12 plate vehicles with sub-50k miles.

Can you give me reasons why should I go for a Superb estate over an SMax?  Really torn between the 2 cars at the moment....

Back on the search now as I have the funds to purchase.    Looking at 11/61/12 plate vehicles with sub-50k miles.

Can you give me reasons why should I go for a Superb estate over an SMax?  Really torn between the 2 cars at the moment....

The Superb is superb. End of. Good luck

I have read some off the above and agree with some but the Greenline has a cracking engine and can hold it's own on motorways and a/b roads.

I came from an Octavia 1.8 TSi to a Greenline SE twin door and was not disappointed.

A lot of people say the 1.6 is underpowered but although no street racer it goes well if you are not afraid to use the full rev range. It will pull 75 in third and sit at 3 figures all day long. 

Mine is a company car which I got new 1st Sept 2012 and it has just hit 93,000 miles and according to the computer my average mpg is high 50s but I drive it hard.

It is a great car and I will be sad to see it go but I am having a change for my next car.

I am 5'10 and sit quite far back and a friend who sometimes sits behind me is 6'3 and has plenty of room.

I think the only issue you will have is when fully loaded you will scrape the underside on every speed bump you go over.

The reason being that the Greenline is lower than the others.

Edited by ruffday

I was originally looking at a CR170 DSG but ended up getting a CR140 DSG. The 140 is still a very capable car in everyday driving but it also meant i got more car for my money in other respects than power.... As follows....

I had been looking at CR170s and i wanted a car with park assist so the ones i had seen were all either 10 plates and around £12750-13250ish with no less than 40-45k on the clock. Or newer 60 and 11 plate cars but with 60-65k plus on the clock and costing £13-14000ish. My CR140 DSG was registered at the end of November 2010 so is a 2011 spec car, Has the extra options of dimming mirror and heated rear seats (As well as the park assist) had only done 29k when i bought, it had FSSH as it was a motobility car and came with a years Skoda used car warranty (Basically just an extension of the initial 3 year warranty) because i bought it from a Skoda dealer. And in the end i paid £12600 for it. 

So i could have gotten a 10 plate CR170 for the same money but it would have had up to another 10-20k miles on it and i would have also had to buy a newer bluetooth module as the one in a 2010 spec car doesn't work with an iPhone.

Or

I could have bought a similar aged CR170 but it would have been around £1000 more and would have had around double the mileage or would have been around £1500 more with a similar mileage.

Anyway if ever i do decide i want the performance of a CR170 a remap is around £450 and the insurance goes up by around £50-75 a year so it still means i got a better deal getting my CR140. 

Hope that all makes sense. :)

I have had an S-Max as a hire car on holiday and much prefer the Superb for driving comfort although they aren't exactly direct comparisons car wise.

Also don't forget the twindoor and the combi have the same size boot, floor area wise. The combi obviously has more boot space volume wise because of the roof continuing to the back of the car etc.... They are both the same dimensions externally too.

I have never driven an S Max, but have ridden in one. Before my Superb I had the old model Alhambra. I always felt as though I was sitting ON the Alhambra, rather than IN. When riding as a passenger in the S Max I felt the same. The Superb is definitely a case of sitting IN. It fits like a glove. I feel more relaxed in the Superb than in the MPV, and when in the back it's sheer luxury compared with any MPV I have ever travelled in, S Max included.

Some other things that might matter to you. The S Max doesn't, I believe, have any accommodation for a spare wheel. I suspect the S Max as a 5 seater might have a bigger boot even than the Superb Estate. Certainly when I came from the Alhambra to the Superb, I couldnt squeeze in as much stuff as would fit in the MPV, however a roof box solved that problem and is only needed once a year.

Ov3rall, I found the Superb design to be understated but a constant delight whereas the Ford is "in your face" and rather brash.

Hope this helps

I read somewhere online that if you put a racechip in the 140bhp and increase it to 170bhp it will actually perform better than the original 170bhp because of the size of the turbo.