Alex's red Mk1 Fabia vRS BMN/BLT 16v hybrid - GTBvklr

alex_e3

Well.... certainly had a baptism of fire at my first track day today!

On the way to the track my ABS light came on. So no ABS for the entirety of the day. Then later on in the morning the oil cooler pipe decided to rupture out of the side. Lost 1 1/2 hours whilst I temporarily fixed it by bypassing the cooler with a link pipe.

Then a couple of nice spins to boot  :notme:  :sweat:

Overall, a fantastic day though :)

Oh, and for the standard injector nozzle 'haters' out there... my EGT didn't rise above 700 degrees all day! Oil temp was also low without the cooler. As I never went over 108 degrees - although the weather will have had something to do with this I suspect.

Edited by alex_e3
  • Like 4

Bored again this evening. So went down to my unit, whipped the air filter and pipe off and started cutting my hoses and hard pipe up so that I could fit my S2000 filter...

36957135132_dff6c1bf79_z.jpg

36986148141_587c94239b_z.jpg

I just need to paint it black now, so put the old one back on for now. Also going to trim the top 90 degree boost pipework and re-spray the other hard pipe at the same time. As it was sitting a bit close to the coolant tank and has a couple of small marks on.

Edited by alex_e3

I think I might order some nice dark braided hoses from you Alex, now you have the template :D

I'd probably want black joining pieces though, not red. :)

Actually, scratch that!  :(  Forgot I have the diesel cooler.  Might have to see about getting some made up myself.

Edited by devonutopia
  • Like 1

So yesterday I made a start on the custom fitting of my gauge pod.

First up I fettled the edges down to get rid of the overhanging edge, as I didn't think it would look very OE with it just screwed in place. Took me a while to fettle it down smoothly with a grinder and then files. Also had to shape it as good as I could to the curvature of the dash.

The next issue is how I was going to attach it to the dash. So in work today I made up some aluminium brackets. I drilled some holes and dimples in them so that the sealant I was going to use got a good grip. I also scribed my Stanley blade in a variety of angles on both the brackets and the underside of the pod itself...

36957133952_53c07310a0_z.jpg

Next up I used some heavy duty flexible PU adhesive sealant (similar to Tiger Seal) to bond the brackets in place. Interfayed them on first, then overcoated them slightly. Also clamped the top 2 brackets to stop them moving...

36986147581_5766a3afc3_z.jpg

36957133142_96659b412c_z.jpg

Left them to cure overnight. Tomorrow I will see about fixing the pod to the dash. I have another bracket to screw/bond to the dash first, then screw and bond the bracket nicely into place on the dash. The day after that I'll be smoothing the edges with more sealant and sealing inside the pod along with some further overcoating. Hopefully the pod will be solid on the dash then. Day after that and everything is off to get flocked :)   My hope is that afterwards the pod will be blended seamlessly into the original dash.

Edited by alex_e3
  • Like 2

Popped down the unit for a bit tonight. I removed the clamps and checked how the brackets had set. Suffice to say that the sealant is good stuff! It's absolutely solid, but still allows a slight flex, which is exactly what I wanted...

36986146241_01d5082c3a_z.jpg

Next up I needed to work on the dash side of things. I opened up the hole on the dash with a larger hole saw so that I wouldn't have any issues getting my fingers in there to get the wiring through from the side. I then mocked up the pod and dash bracket and then marked where it went. I marked up the dash and the bracket with the Stanley knife again to promote good adhesion...

36986147041_5a3048a37d_z.jpg

I then interfayed the new bracket in place and some fillet sealing around the edges. Not the prettiest thing ever, but it's not easy stuff to work with as it's very thick...

36730802920_c0fb142327_z.jpg

Tomorrow I'm aiming to get the pod screwed and sealed in place.

Edited by alex_e3

Down the unit again tonight.

First up I had a play with the bracket bonded to the dash. Absolutely solid and not going anywhere I'm pleased to say :)

I then popped the pod in place, made sure it was centralised properly, then marked up where the rear bracket's hole needed to be drilled. I drilled the hole carefully, cleaned the area up, then popped a bolt and nut through from the rear and sealed over the top to keep the head in place...

36730799290_812de29210_z.jpg

Next up I scored the area on the dash where my brackets would be bonded to. I then applied some sealant to the mating faces. Also some masking tape to the back of the bolt to make sure it was held in place. Carefully lowered the pod into place and did up the retaining nut by hand...

36730797890_58a1386a2a_z.jpg

Both front brackets were then overcoated with sealant...

36730796670_a1a2323364_z.jpg

36730795310_2484e631ec_z.jpg

Pod sitting in place after final positioning before letting it set...

36730794500_09a3cd8750_z.jpg

Used my trusty DAS6 to weigh the pod down until the sealant sets :D ...

36730793300_808dcc080b_z.jpg

Pleased with the result. Tomorrow I'll be applying a load more sealant inside the pod, along with a thin bead applied neatly around the outside. Then it'll be off to be flocked as soon as it's set :)

Edited by alex_e3
  • Like 2

So tonight I finished off the pod. I'm pleased to say that after the sealant from yesterday it has set overnight absolutely rock solid. It's very much not coming off the dash! Very pleased :)

First thing this evening I took off the masking tape from the bracket inside and tightened up the securing bolt that little bit more. Then overcoated the tail with sealant, along with some of the inner edges of the pod for further support - not that it needed it!...

36730789920_e77aaf9cc5_z.jpg

Next up I used my finger to finish the edges properly and really mould it into the dashboard. Took a while, but I'm very pleased with the end result...

36291995034_24421fb852_z.jpg

36730791840_bcf06a970d_z.jpg

Following a nice guide that another member wrote the other day, I spent a while fiddling with getting the cigarette lighter wiring out of the centre console. Got there in the end!...

36986137301_a878d02312_z.jpg

So that's it! Tomorrow after work I'll be taking all my dash panels, centre console and A-pillars to be flocked. Really looking forward to seeing the end result :)

Edited by alex_e3
  • Like 1

Slightly neater than mine, but I am sure both will work well!  :thumbup:

Did you say what gauges you were putting in?  Mine is boost / EGT / combined oil/water temp

He's gone for a chavometer, a Mcdscarparkometer and boost :)

Both of the first gauges will be pointing to maximum permanently!!! :D

• Like 3