Dan's 20v 1.8T Fabia Estate

DanHarper

Hit upon a ridiculous problem! The coolant tank is about 5cm further over in the Fabia which means the pipe isn't long enough. Want to do it properly so the intake manifold needs to come off and I'll run a new pipe. Another new gasket ordered...

The heater/fan unit is completely different in terms of wiring/connections to the main loom, but I'm guessing not that much is needed really to get some manually controlled heat going on... one for later, its nearly summer anyway :P

Oh yeah, the Ibiza uses the climatronic doesn't it?

May be better than the manual controls

Except the heater unit from the Ibiza went in the bin when I got fed up of moving it about (wouldn't fit through the loft hatch) and I'm not sure the controller would have liked the aircon delete :P

• Like 1

Except the heater unit from the Ibiza went in the bin when I got fed up of moving it about (wouldn't fit through the loft hatch) and I'm not sure the controller would have liked the aircon delete :P

You will only need several wires to make it work. I left mine till a few months ago and just sat with the multi meter then soldered the correct wires together. Its a doddle :)

• Like 2

I have a climate controller on the Ibiza part number 6L0820043A. I bought it for my old Ibiza but never fitted it.

That won't work with the poverty spec blower unit as all the flaps are manually controlled not electronically like the climatronic equipped cars

Never mind, who needs blowers :D

You will only need several wires to make it work. I left mine till a few months ago and just sat with the multi meter then soldered the correct wires together. Its a doddle :)

That won't work with the poverty spec blower unit as all the flaps are manually controlled not electronically like the climatronic equipped cars

Yeah that's pretty much the plan. I noticed the manual controls which makes things easier. Then I think there's gotta be a relay somewhere... didn't have a very good look but I'm sure I've lost a plug somewhere with a reasonably sized live supply to the unit to drive the fan, once I find that it should be easy to sus :)

Not urgent... summer soon :)

I'm not that keen on anything that's automatic anyway, happy to twiddle knobs.

Twiddly knobs, blowers all sounds a bit rude. I had to make up a new ground from the main loom iirc because the wiring harness for the fiddly twiddly blower knob unit didn't have one with it being so basic

• 2 weeks later...

Not really much pic worthy from the last few weeks.

Boot mounted battery in but waiting for inline breaker and some more crimps to complete.

Figured out where to mount the fuse box and catch can.

Rear lights all figured out and wired in (dual reverse and dual fogs done as neither is standard on the Ibiza).

Rear wash/wipe done (plug'n'play).

Fan unit wired in.

Need to figure out how to add electronic boot release and activate it with the keyfob. On the Ibiza the boot is manual release only, the keyfob/central locking simply enables/disables (via a motor) the handle on the rear which releases the catch. The Fabia as I'm sure you all know has a switch on the handle which activates the electronic boot release. Once I've got power I'll see what happens when the car tries to activate the old motor (electricity wise) and see if I can rig something up to drive the electronic boot release motor. I'll probably just leave the release switch on the hatch disabled and have it keyfob release only.

For the battery feed, are you just having a cut off switch with a chunky fuse for ancil equipment?

100A breaker mounted next to the battery... not going to have a dash mounted cut off or any of that.

100A isn't big enough I used a 140AMP breaker and all is well. It nuked the 100 amp agu style fuses on second start up

Ah bugger :( I did think it was better to start at 100A and work up if needed than put something in that wouldn't blow when you'd want it to...

Yeah unfortunately, the reason I went for a breaker was because I couldn't get the agu fuses big enough. Breaker also gives the option of isolating the power at the flick of a switch

• Like 1

Yeah unfortunately, the reason I went for a breaker was because I couldn't get the agu fuses big enough. Breaker also gives the option of isolating the power at the flick of a switch

Guess I'm pretty much following the same path as you on some things, and would/will eventually find out the same things :P

• Like 1