How to "unsteam" my Fabia?!

The temperature difference between inside and outside will cause any moisture in the car to steam up the windows. A/C is great for clearing it and why mine is never switched off as the car never steams up.

Does your car steam up often?

Only reason I ask is that my Sister's MC Tech was really bad for it. She mentioned it at her first service and they ended up changing the whole door seal as it was defective.

My Fabia never steams up that often, but the quickest way to do so is to use the AC with the blowers set to windscreen up position. (You may have noticed that it puts the AC on automatically when you set the blowers to this position)

Be sure to get the inside of the car dried out when you can,

& drive with A/C on and the heat turned up on trips to dry the car.

When the outside temperatures drop below 4*0C or there about your A/C will not function anyway.

You can get moisture absorbing packs for the winter time, 

and do not leave wet mats or clothes in the car in cold weather when you park up.

The H20 is drawn to the glass and you get condensation & then probably that freezing.

You can polish the inside glass, and use a Rubber Refresher on the Window and door seals,

or Silicon Spray on the Door / Hatch Rubbers.

A common issue on all modern cars, noticed only by those who turn their A/C on and off.

On cars with more basic A/C controls, i.e. on and off, the driver is more likely to only use the A/C in summer to cool down the interior.

Higher spec cars with climate control are set to 'Auto' and generally left on for life, the only driver inputs being to the temperature. In 'Auto' the A/C is on almost all of the time.

Those with climate control therefore very rarely experience issues with misting up.

As soon as the A/C is turned off all of the moisture absorbed by the system that would ordinarily be drained out underneath the car that is still in the pipes, vents etc. is then fed back into the car.

As the bulk of the airflow is directed towards the windscreen this is why you get all steamy.

That's the probelm with A/C, once it is turned on the car can often become dependant on it.

After using a/c there can be a lot of water on the evaporator, its this that causes the steam when the a/c is turned off. Turn the heat and blowers up to max and open the windows. Make sure recirc is turned off. It should dry out after a few minutes.

If it doesnt, check the pollen filter is not saturated, if it is, the drainage under scuttle panel is probably blocked with leaves and other debris.

The other thing to check for blockage is the drain tube from the evaporator to under the car.

Its good practice to turn off the a/c a few minutes before the end of a journey, leaving the blower on to dry out the evaporator. This avoids the steaming and also stops bacteria growing in the heating system, leading to horrible smells.

What about those of us with no ac lol. I just have to ensure its as dry as possible at all times. Often I use a good quality microfibre cloth to wipe insides of glass then ensure it dries out inside.

But you have a mk1? In that case, you probably know all your door carriers probably leak and saturate the wadding under the carpet. Simple test, place a kitchen paper towel in rear footwell, and squeeze with hand/foot.

Interesting points on here. :thumbup:

I found when mine was steaming up a lot last winter (lots of rain), the spare wheel well was full of water!

I cleaned it out on a nice day in the spring and it stopped the steaming up completely. Might be worth a check to see if you have any leaks / water in the spare wheel well, its often somewhere that gets forgotten.

In terms of air con / climate control and windscreens seeming to rely on a/c - I have found avoiding the use of air con on the screen at all costs, prevents the need for it to be needed for demisting the car. Its odd, the screen seems to react with the air con and cause the screen to need it to clear.

My dad has this with his Octavia and finds it very annoying. The air con is needed all of the time for demisting the car!

In terms of air con / climate control and windscreens seeming to rely on a/c - I have found avoiding the use of air con on the screen at all costs, prevents the need for it to be needed for demisting the car. Its odd, the screen seems to react with the air con and cause the screen to need it to clear.

It nothing mystical, its due to damp air blowing on the screen, which condenses.

It due to the pool of water sloshing in the heater/evaporator box or water that leaked in somewhere else in the cabin, e.g. carpet or the wheel well as you pointed out.

I have a penguin sat in the cupholders, absorbs moisture in the air, and when its full the penguin turns blue. Stick it in the microwave for 5 mins to dry out, and repeat! Never had an issue since!

Sounds like everybody needs a penguin! Haha

What exactly is this? Got a link mate? Sounds interesting!

i have a rechargable silica gel pack.

basicly a 500g silica gel pack with moisture indicator packed into a plastic case with built in mains heater.

when the pack is saturated. (can absorb about 100g of moisture) the indicator changes colour and you take it out of the car and plug it into the mains where the heater warms it to 60c and you leave it to dry out for a day before putting it back into the car.

about £6.99 on ebay. search for 'rechargeable dehumidifier'

Recently my Fabia MC windscreen steams up, the only way to get rid of the steam is to stick the A/C on, is this the only way?

Thanks, from my ice cold Fabia,

Mikhail

There are some de-humidifiers in Homebase and other stores, one is called Pingi which I have used before and it's a small bag filled with dehumidifying little pellets which absorb all the moisture and dampness in the car/room or wherever you feel like using it and you can recharge the bag by placing it in the microwave so it's reusable and it works really well and it's under £5... have a look here:

http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/pingi-dehumidifier-bag---250g-569169

There are some de-humidifiers in Homebase and other stores, one is called Pingi which I have used before and it's a small bag filled with dehumidifying little pellets which absorb all the moisture and dampness in the car/room or wherever you feel like using it and you can recharge the bag by placing it in the microwave so it's reusable and it works really well and it's under £5... have a look here:

http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/pingi-dehumidifier-bag---250g-569169

I tried to find something like that (without success) in B&Q when I had my MKI Fabia vRS - to be honest, I didn't really know which section to look in - I should have asked a member of staff instead of roaming aisle after aisle - us blokes just hate asking for directions :).

I use Fog 'X' inside .

& as i tell every winter in threads, i do the same as i have had for decades, not because i am Scottish and tight,  but because it works and is the best cheap. 'Free',  because i do not pay for the Salt.

I take Empty Clean Margarine Tubs, or Yogurt Cartons with some holes in the top.  and i put Dry Rock or Sea Salt in,

& leave one in the Boot and One in the car, under the seat or someplace.

Used it since i was young, in Caravans, Vans, Campers, Cars etc.

They absorb Moisture, and if the Salt Gets wet / Moist. 

I chuck it, and put in Fresh /Dry salt.

You know it is working if there is moisture on the Lid & thats not coming out of the salt if it is Dry Salt you used.

(Maybe not pinched out of Salt Bins at the Road Side, that can have quite a bit of H20 in it already.)

If the Salt Moisture Traps work for you, imagine how much better the Commercial Products will.

But actually i think the Dry Salt works amazingly.

Edited by goneoffSKi

I use Fog 'X' inside .

& as i tell every winter in threads, i do the same as i have had for decades, not because i am Scottish and tight, but because it works and is the best cheap. 'Free', because i do not pay for the Salt.

I take Empty Clean Margarine Tubs, or Yogurt Cartons with some holes in the top. and i put Dry Rock or Sea Salt in,

& leave one in the Boot and One in the car, under the seat or someplace.

Used it since i was young, in Caravans, Vans, Campers, Cars etc.

They absorb Moisture, and if the Salt Gets wet / Moist.

I chuck it, and put in Fresh /Dry salt.

You know it is working if there is moisture on the Lid & thats not coming out of the salt if it is Dry Salt you used.

(Maybe not pinched out of Salt Bins at the Road Side, that can have quite a bit of H20 in it already.)

If the Salt Moisture Traps work for you, imagine how much better the Commercial Products will.

But actually i think the Dry Salt works amazingly.

Didnt think of that!

Sounds a good idea.

Try a Pingu George ;)