Honda New Type R 2015 prices , spec and release dates

vrskeith

Agree Richard, though would be interesting to see how the megane with more conventional tyres would fare. I suspect they would still have preferred it over the others. All are great cars to own and drove, you takes your money and all that.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

the golf came second and it's not even in that bracket really.  The new clubsport Golf Gti is looking awesome, i saw it testing the other week at the ring and i think we can expect that to take on the megane and Civic.

Now i am a Honda fanboi obviously, but i just don;t get the new one,   it has a lot of potential but its a limited run freak really.  There will only be a small amoutn allocated for UK in year 1.  But it does seem a long time since that famous Autocar headline of "150mph for £15k" which was why the original Ep3 Type R was such a good seller.  over 35000 in 4 years making it one of most successful hot hatches ever.  But now its dressed like a halfords car park hero with a BMW country club type price.  Really lost the plot on this one.  Oh and the engine despite being very clever in a different way ( the Turbo is a bog standard Turbo and the Vtec does all the clever bit making it ridiculously tunable) is just not the K20 which ultimately was what 90% of the entry price was for.  The K20 has to be one of the best all time NA 4 pots ever made and the fun of revving out to 9k is just so addictive.

The Leon is the dark horse, my mate has just bought the estate version with the performance pack on it, You'll see it in Pistonheads as he writes for them, so i'll get some laps in that next week to see how it fairs.  Another mate has just bought a full on Megane Trophy R with Ring pack and cage, so that should be interesting too.

Me personally i would still have the Golf R na dit would have to be DSG, i bet if they had used a DSG specced R that would have been fastest around the track.

What is amazing about the very good and efficient Seat Leon Cupra 265 / 280 is how much depreciation there is with them right from being registered.

Fantastic value as a used car even with only 500 miles on them, let alone once they are near 1 year old

and never yet had a private owner.

I doubt there is any other 3 / 5 door Hot Hatch in the UK that gives more bang for your buck for so little money.

A great buy as a keeper if you are on the market for a 'used' Hot Hatch around 20 - £23,000.

Even the new 280 Estate with DSG for under £24,000.

You can get a brand new one from Broadspeed and be the first registered keeper for not much more than that, and currently get the benefit of 0% finance, which you wouldn't get on a used model

• Like 1

You can get a used one for much cheaper than the prices i said because that is Dealers Asking Prices not 'Selling Prices',

as with anything, when they are not shifting they need to get real.

So a nice fully speced up Demonstrator.

Like why Broadspeed Prices are as they are, 

like when any sale clothes are available in all sizes and in all colours, because nobody really wants them.

Not everyone can get Credit, or wants Credit, (even to pay off early)

but that does not mean they do not have Cash Money.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That track looks like it would suit the lighter Honda. Whilst he said he had switched off all the driver aids on the M3, he didn't mention anything about which mode he had selected in the RS3. I wonder what the times would have been had he left on some of the M3's traction control and turned off some of the RS3's?

• Like 1

That track looks like it would suit the lighter Honda. Whilst he said he had switched off all the driver aids on the M3, he didn't mention anything about which mode he had selected in the RS3. I wonder what the times would have been had he left on some of the M3's traction control and turned off some of the RS3's?

So the Leon 280 equalled the RS3 around this tight track then, if my maths are correct or maybe a fraction quicker.

Type R also a manual!

Edited by vrskeith

Short tight circuit not really giving the more powerful cars the chance to get into their stride and make the additional horses count. He was also massively showboating in the M3, would have gone much quicker with some of the electronics turned back on. If you watch the vid closely he is clearly backing off the throttle in the M3 as he approaches the finish line too! The whole thing is set-up for the Honda to win from the outset. The video would otherwise not be very interesting or get people talking... Honda is no doubt a very capable and quick car though, even if the styling is an acquired taste!

• Like 1

I like Steve Sutcliffe and his vids :) It was an interesting comparison, although I think I would probably still take the M3 over the other 2 given the choice, then it would be down to a couple of very long test drives over the other 2. The M3 looked most fun to my eyes. Wonder how fast the facelift A45 with more power will be? They claim to have improved the gearbox change software and shortened the ratios, as well as allegedly putting some suspension into the car. Will the softening of the suspension offset the extra power? It's a great time for hot hatch buyers :)

Short tight circuit not really giving the more powerful cars the chance to get into their stride and make the additional horses count. He was also massively showboating in the M3, would have gone much quicker with some of the electronics turned back on. If you watch the vid closely he is clearly backing off the throttle in the M3 as he approaches the finish line too! The whole thing is set-up for the Honda to win from the outset. The video would otherwise not be very interesting or get people talking... Honda is no doubt a very capable and quick car though, even if the styling is an acquired taste!

One of the comments claimed the exterior shots weren't taken from the timed laps I think? Still, in the hands of a talented driver, the M3 looked a great giggle :)

One of the comments claimed the exterior shots weren't taken from the timed laps I think? Still, in the hands of a talented driver, the M3 looked a great giggle :)

It did, though it looked a little larey in places. As a 365 day, all weather car I think the RS3 wins hands down. More of its performance is available more of the time and in a broader spectrum of weather conditions.

It would have been interesting to see how an M235i stacked up in a similar test.

It did, though it looked a little larey in places. As a 365 day, all weather car I think the RS3 wins hands down. More of its performance is available more of the time and in a broader spectrum of weather conditions.

It would have been interesting to see how an M235i stacked up in a similar test.

My guess is a tad slower, but more fun ;)

Bit too flash for an old fart like me, but will it be Honda Type R or Ford Focus RS for the lads on the Block in 2016??  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQwedAqD4ls

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UtW7r6A4cc

Edited by vrskeith

My local dealer has one that I went to look at yesterday. It just looks bonkers. No doubt it is a good car and fair play to the Honda designers for sticking to their guns and saying 'we want it to look and feel like a race car' because that's what it looks like.

• Like 1

I thought the point of the track test apart from no driving aids was the fact a £30,000 production car has a performance of a £45,000 and £55,000 car and the Honda and seat ,Megane etc more than compete and I'm sure many would prefer an M3 but when it's down to cost not dreams it's nice to know there are better priced options .

• Like 2

I thought the point of the track test apart from no driving aids was the fact a £30,000 production car has a performance of a £45,000 and £55,000 car and the Honda and seat ,Megane etc more than compete and I'm sure many would prefer an M3 but when it's down to cost not dreams it's nice to know there are better priced options .

FWD

RWD m3, much more exciting!

RWD M3,Much more expensive +£25,000

You can have rwd for less.

If you intend to buy brand new, which isnt where money is saved of course.

fwd is a little boring in most cars, lets be honest. Mates got a mini cooper works GP, which is nearly as good as FWD gets isnt it. But its still no z4m, or better, 4wd

Did someone mention RWD :) Hmmmm, lets have a think? :D I'd still rather have an M3 though (especially the last of the V8 ones :) )

You arent alone.

Everybody likes sideways, surely? And there isnt none of that with a FWD, unless you count the handbrake? Aha

Oh and lift off oversteer. Which is fun, but not RWD fun.

Edited by fabiamk2SE

In reality, I don't suppose too many M3 etc drivers go seriously sideways on the public roads, most of the time I reckon RWD-ers only do the Chris Harris 'squiggle' powering out of corners. apart from the odd nice roundabout and corners on quiet roads that you know reasonably well. I know that's the sort of thing I like to do, but it does feel quite different to other configurations - if the car has enough power and front wheel grip - that you can enjoy the RWD even without being a rally hero :)

In reality, I don't suppose too many M3 etc drivers go seriously sideways on the public roads, most of the time I reckon RWD-ers only do the Chris Harris 'squiggle' powering out of corners. apart from the odd nice roundabout and corners on quiet roads that you know reasonably well. I know that's the sort of thing I like to do, but it does feel quite different to other configurations - if the car has enough power and front wheel grip - that you can enjoy the RWD even without being a rally hero :)

Yeah (:

Too much loud pedal in a FWD round a bend = unfun, understeer.

Too much in a RWD, = epic fun, oversteer.

Aslong as you dont overdo it isnt it haha.