Fuel "sloshing"

On 12/4/2014 at 23:49, Gerrycan said:

You are going about it all wrong...think calming water feature noise, gentle lap of waves on warm tropical beach.   :)

Hey, this is a "feature" that I'm missing on my MY16 Octavia wagon. Do you think I should be taking it back for "rectification"

• Like 1

18 hours ago, automass said:

Really..did you try to fill up the tank to the full and once cut off try twice or thrice. drive in a very quite road and break and stop..definitely you will hear the sound. 

That's the way I always fill mine - but never heard the fuel sloshing around while driving.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, automass said:

Dealer specification said this car will run 74.3mpg on average where I am getting 36 to 39mpg only..don't you think what they said is bull****! I didn't mean to use this word as swearing. But still if you think I was swearing at you then SORRY........ 

Literally every car on sale will see real world economy much lower than EU test results.

• Like 1

Automass,  if you can find 'Dealers specification' that told you what any particular car could do out on a road for MPG then best take actions against them.

I doubt there are such Dealer Specifications to the MPG.

http://skoda.co.uk/pages/fuel-consumption-statement.aspx

If you want to challenge the EU Testing, then in late 2015 the VWG and VW, Audi & SEAT had to admit that the Implausible Co2 was actually 

correct and they changed VED on various models.  This was not the 'Emissions Scandal' starting Sept, this came later after testing.

No Skoda were found to have C02 Irregularities.

1 hour ago, automass said:

I am kind of frustrated with some people's reaction in thus forum..I came here obviously not to complain but for some problems that I am having with my new Skoda. Most of the people here are very helpful and friendly and they are giving me nice piece of advice as wwell as sharing their experience which makes me owe to them..

I could have told here that this car has rattling noise as well as pressure problem on long motorway run, but I didn't...so what makes someone to think that I came here just to complain...what kind of point is this...who shall I complain to..did this forum make this car that I am complaining? 

My advise is, if you canan not help just keep your mouth shut..let the good people talk...this will make the forum best and people will be benefitial. 

Hi Automass, don't take it to heart. To Amatej -  for the next fillup try filling only to where the pump "autostops" and see if this stops the sound. This will test if the noise is from fuel in the expansion tank. Personally, I usually fill right up by venting the tank, UNLESS it's a hot day, or I'm not driving far enough to drain the expansion space before stopping. 

Edited by Warrior193
Mistaken poster

4 minutes ago, Awayoffski said:

Automass,  if you can find 'Dealers specification' that told you what any particular car could do out on a road for MPG then best take actions against them.

I doubt there are such Dealer Specifications to the MPG.

http://skoda.co.uk/pages/fuel-consumption-statement.aspx

If you want to challenge the EU Testing, then in late 2015 the VWG and VW, Audi & SEAT had to admit that the Implausible Co2 was actually 

correct and they changed VED on various models.  This was not the 'Emissions Scandal' starting Sept, this came later after testing.

No Skoda were found to have C02 Irregularities.

Let me clear to everybody

I am not telling or even expecting to get the MPG at  the specification data stated. No one could even get to close to those fuel consumption data..those are just for idea to me. but as a diesel car which is just 3 years and 3 months old regularly serviced and last service was done 3 months ago can i not expect a decent MPG with such a small engine and driving in ECO MODE.

in my previous car 11years old with same engine(110bhp) i used to get 42mpg on average where it says 58.9mpg for average.

So my concern is I am no getting proper MPG that other people getting from same car same model, so must be something wrong or trip computer is wrong. I filled up the tank and will not fill up until fuel warning light comes on. then i'll calculate the real MPG.

Best plan there.  See what you can get.

As to what you used to get pre Euro 4 Emissions and then Euro 5 emissions, you are not unique in getting better fuel consumption in the past with diesels, 

and even petrols. 

Times move on and supposedly less pollution and the result is worse economy.  

Then there was VW Group cheating and now needing to do something about that.  

Not worth having sleepless nights over surely unless you are a Fraudster from VW and might be going to jail.

• Like 1

Thank you Warrior193. I have booked my car to be inspected by the seller day after tomorrow. lets see if they can find the problem and also next time i will not overfill.. is there any expansion tank exist that people are talking about? if that is the case then I can be convinced otherwise may be something has missed during the fuel tank changing in my case.    

Edited by automass

I have just spoken to SKODA awhile ago..and they said that their is no EXPANSION TANK or such for the fuel for octavia. So whoever is saying fuel goes in EXPANSION TANK by carry on filling after the auto cut off is hypothesis.

The man said filling must be stopped after auto cut off. if someone carries on filling then fuel can go to CARBON FILTER or CHARCOAL FILTER. I don't know what they are..but guy said its very dangerous and need replacing those parts if it is the case.  

So whoever hears this sound may be in some point overfilled the tank which made carbon filter to fill with fuel. LISTENING SLOSHING NOISE FROM THE FUEL TANK IS NOT NORMAL OR IT'S NOT A FEATURE, THAT'S WHAT MY POINT.

Edited by automass

46 minutes ago, automass said:

LISTENING SLOSHING NOISE FROM THE FUEL TANK IS NOT NORMAL OR IT'S NOT A FEATURE, THAT'S WHAT MY POINT.

Try telling that to the Skoda franchised dealers who have told owners that it is normal...

They didn't tell it was normal..it was some of our forum friends..if you read the whole thread you will see people saying its normal and ignore it..

Just now, automass said:

They didn't tell it was normal..it was some of our forum friends..if you read the whole thread you will see people saying its normal and ignore it..

I HAVE read the whole thread AND the previous threads on the subject, several owners who have reported hearing fuel sloshing have been told by their dealer that it's normal.

2 hours ago, SWBoy said:

I HAVE read the whole thread AND the previous threads on the subject, several owners who have reported hearing fuel sloshing have been told by their dealer that it's normal.

Is it..My apology then.

On 02/12/2014 at 22:01, amatej said:

Hi,

For almost a year now i'm one very happy owner of a great car, but now when honeymoon is over i'm starting to see even the slightest weaknesses.

Recently, in a few occasions I noticed that a fuel sloshing (don't know if it's the right word) on my 2.0 tdi Octavia is pretty loud. You can hear it from inside as well as from the outside when the car is slightly moved (for example when it's in a gear and you push it a bit with a hand). I'm wondering if this is normal, because I don't remember noticing that in any other car I had. I can hear it also while driving over a bump or when stopping at a traffic light.

Isn't the fuel tank designed in a way / divided with a few chambers to prevent it?

What are other's opinions about that?

I noticed this and it's an annoyance, but only happens at certain tank levels.

I never noticed this on the MK2 or the MK1, which probably says a lot.

I am amazed the tank isn't baffled to stop this, or maybe it is and the other cars were a bit noisier or more sound insulation so I didn't notice it.

On 2/27/2017 at 16:10, SmurfWagon said:

Literally every car on sale will see real world economy much lower than EU test results.

In the real world of driving, as opposed to testing on a bench, quoted fuel economy figures may as well be treated as complete fiction and impossible to achieve - even for a skilled economy event driver.

On 2/27/2017 at 07:33, automass said:

I am not sure if sloshing is caused by over filling or not..I am pritty new with Skoda.

All the other people here who can listen the sloshing did they fill the tank over (continue tried to fill after the cut off) in some point. So may be if we can establish that there is in expension tank which meant to be empty and if we over fill, the fuel goes in there which causes sloshing noise then admin can put it as sticky post for the other people as precaution. Everybody please share this info with us..like what is your car? Can you here sloshing noise? Since when and did over fill caused it?

Having done 5500 miles since mid November and always fill the tank past the first click I have never once noticed any sloshing yet. I'll keep my ears peeled.

22 hours ago, automass said:

I have just spoken to SKODA awhile ago..and they said that their is no EXPANSION TANK or such for the fuel for octavia. So whoever is saying fuel goes in EXPANSION TANK by carry on filling after the auto cut off is hypothesis.

The man said filling must be stopped after auto cut off. if someone carries on filling then fuel can go to CARBON FILTER or CHARCOAL FILTER. I don't know what they are..but guy said its very dangerous and need replacing those parts if it is the case.  

So whoever hears this sound may be in some point overfilled the tank which made carbon filter to fill with fuel. LISTENING SLOSHING NOISE FROM THE FUEL TANK IS NOT NORMAL OR IT'S NOT A FEATURE, THAT'S WHAT MY POINT.

I rather suspect that whoever told you that exposing the "CARBON FILTER or CHARCOAL FILTER" (if in fact this actually does exist) to fuel may just possibly have been talking out of his or her posterior. Any possible filter, as described, would be located in the filler tube and would be exposed to fuel every time the vehicle was fueled. I believe that there IS in fact a fuel expansion space mentioned in the vehicle handbook along with a warning about overfilling - and there are a number of postings in the forum describing how to defeat the airlock device.  

Edited by Warrior193
typo
  • Like 1

The Octavia Owners Manual says (under Inspecting and replenishing | Fuel | Introduction):

The fuel tank has a capacity of about 50 litres, including a reserve of approx. 6 litres.

And under Inspecting and replenishing | Fuel | Petrol and diesel refuelling it says:

The fuel tank is full as soon as the pump nozzle switches off for the first time.

Not continue refuelling. (sic)

Regarding additives it says (under Inspecting and replenishing | Fuel | Diesel fuel):

The diesel fuel in accordance with prescribed standards meets all the conditions for a smooth running engine. Therefore, we recommend that you do not add any fuel additives to the diesel - - there is a risk of engine damage or damage to the exhaust system.

There is no reference in the Owners Manual to a carbon or charcoal filter.

Edited by SWBoy
  • Like 1

Different fuel pumps / guns cut off at different levels so the VW Group and owners manuals are a generalisation.

But if the fuel cut off cuts off you know it is pretty full, even though another several litres can be put in. 

Up to the owner who obviously knows the vehicle.  Knows if they want to brim it.

As to 'Sloshing' hearing sloshing etc, that will be because fuel is sloshing and you are hearing it because of Skoda / VW Group cutting down on insulation / sound deadening.

No vehicle that has had someone that heard sloshing will have performed any the worse for it.

Actually if your fuel sender is faulty or you are driving someone elses car you know there is something in there....

2 hours ago, SWBoy said:

The Octavia Owners Manual says (under Inspecting and replenishing | Fuel | Introduction):

And under Inspecting and replenishing | Fuel | Petrol and diesel refuelling it says:

Regarding additives it says (under Inspecting and replenishing | Fuel | Diesel fuel):

There is no reference in the Owners Manual to a carbon or charcoal filter.

I have checked the manual as well. it says,

"The fuel tank is full just as soon as the pump nozzle switches off for the first time, provided the nozzle has been operated properly. Do not continue filling the fuel tank otherwise the expansion volume is filled up." Does expansion volume mean expansion tank..it also didn't say if expansion volume filled up then what will happen? will the fuel drain out when the main tank is emptied?

Manual also says, "The fuel tank has a capacity of about 50 litres, containing a reserve of approx.7 litres." So it means it has total capacity of 50liters..not more than that.

P.S:No car recommends fuel additive. but still people uses additive to clean up Fuel injector, dpf something like that. this is really controversial whether fuel additive is helpful or not. 

Edited by automass

2 hours ago, automass said:

I have checked the manual as well. it says,

"The fuel tank is full just as soon as the pump nozzle switches off for the first time, provided the nozzle has been operated properly. Do not continue filling the fuel tank otherwise the expansion volume is filled up." Does expansion volume mean expansion tank..it also didn't say if expansion volume filled up then what will happen? will the fuel drain out when the main tank is emptied?

Every car has space to allow the fuel to expand, this is generally called an expansion tank even if it's not a separate tank. By filling the expansion space with fuel you might find that you spill diesel on the road, if the fuel warms up and expands, you might leak diesel or possibly even damage seals in the fuel tank if the pressure can't escape. The expansion space is there for a reason so it's probably best not to fill it with fuel.

If you keep track of how much fuel you put in and how many miles you get out. You should get a pretty good idea of average MPG within a few tanks...

In regards to additives, you can either believe the advice given by Skoda and avoid them, otherwise you can try a few out and see if they help. You'll never get a definitive answer from an online forum. At the end of the day, it's your car so if an additive does damage something you'll need to deal with it :)

In order to put 50 litres in you have to run the thing on vapour, i have only done this once. Just to clarify, the reserve is not a seperate tank! The reserve is 7 litres from when the guage hits red.

I doubt very much if you can, or why you would need to fill it up where expansion of fuel would be a problem, simply because when you drive away from the garage your using fuel. Unless you fill it on your drive to the brim and do it at night and its a baking hot summers day i dont think you need worry.

Edited by Alpha2110

I promise that I won't overfill and its not even my nature to overfill. i did it mistakenly this time..cause when I tried to fill the tank it cut off very quickly. i thought may be there was something wrong with my filler lock as it happened before. so i tried up to three times.

Now my point is how can i make the expansion tank empty and stop hearing this Sloshing?

That is exactly what people do do. Fill up at night and maybe use a little fuel and then a vehicle can be parked up maybe not just the next day but several, and baking hot is not required, 20 degrees difference is not unusual.

Hence expansion, and why brim to brim might be OK when driving a bit after fuelling, as can be Venting if you are thinking about what you are doing.