Lidl Screen Wash Lack of....

gregoir

Looks like the stores did not stock it this winter. The usual stuff in garages says "good" for -3°C. Oh yeh?

And visiting main dealers to buy the Quantum stuff is a lengthy PITA for me.

• Like 1

Looks like the stores did not stock it this winter. The usual stuff in garages says "good" for -3°C. Oh yeh?

And visiting main dealers to buy the Quantum stuff is a lengthy PITA for me.

I'm glad I stocked up last year. My wife did look at me a bit funny when I walked in carrying so many... but I've still got 2 bottles left  :)

Anything wrong with Halfords Screenwash?

Ive used it for years..The pink stuff

They have BOGOF offers as well

Only insomuch that a special journey is needed right across town to get there. And I note that their best stuff is "only" good for -30C. :devil: . No BOGOFF at my store.

Looks like the best concentrated stuff currently on offer  - after checking on Amazon.

Thanks for the info.

Yup disappointed as well. The only stuff they have right now is the all seasons stuff and it doesn't even state a minimum. Went to ECP and bought a couple of liters of their -15C stuff. They were out of the -70C as well (I'm not going to the Arctic btw I just like the smaller bottle then I dilute 3:1)

Only insomuch that a special journey is needed right across town to get there. And I note that their best stuff is "only" good for -30C. :devil: . No BOGOFF at my store.

Looks like the best concentrated stuff currently on offer  - after checking on Amazon.

Thanks for the info.

That must be real problem in Derby ;)  :giggle:  :giggle:

• Like 2

Not seen the good screen wash in any of my local Lidl branches, and I only have one 5L bottle of the concentrate left.

Have a few 5L bottles of some cheap stuff I got from Euro Car Parts a year or so ago, but even neat that's only good to about minus 5, so I just use that through the summer.

I always get Shell or Esso branded concentrate because you can adjust the strength to suit the weather conditions.   I buy it all year round, but stock up in late August/early September and keep half a dozen bottles in the garage.

I keep a few empty, rinsed-out bottles in the garage.    At this time of year, I have a strong, ready mixed solution wrapped in a "J" cloth in one of the empties strapped inside the boot.   If you get one of those freezing cold, dirty days where your windcsreen and front and rear lights get plastered with salt and grime, you bring the bottle into the car and keep it in the warm air flow from the heater vents.   If you find your washer jets get frozen solid, and your screen is filthy, you can pull over and use your home-made solution to get your visibility back (always take the opportunity to wash your lights at the same time - your visibility to other road users is paramount!)

Frozen nozzles or just ran out of water...I used to carry an old washing up liquid bottle filled with water and or screen wash in the car, and when safe to do so... open the window and spray the screen.

Bad eggs smell from washer bottle.

Now has anybody else had this problem, with our previous car, I often walked into the garage, and I could smell sulphur dioxide, or Hydrogen Sulphide.

This was often an issue with Lidl screen wash or when mixed with others.

The solution was to drain and rinse the bottle and washers, use a bleach solution and let it all soak, of course I had to wash off any spills or sprays with the hose pipe. After a long soak, I drained the bottle and flushed through, then filled with new screen wash, and problem solved.

I found just rinsing alone with fresh water was not enough to prevent it recurring, so I assume there was some bacteriological action taking place.

Tesco stuff used to block my jets every time :sweat: .

Vags own stuff is ok too and not much more expensive than other -70C stuff.

Edited by Aspman

I don't think it is so much the freezing in the pipes that is the problem, but spraying even a -30C screen wash on your screen when travelling up a German Autobahn in darkest mid winter (ambient temps -15 to -20C) can cause a brown trouser moment. 

I'm sure there are plenty of alternatives, but the Lidl one is (usually) available and very convienient.  You can put a big flagon in the car and top as needed on the way.  No mixing or faffing.  Great if you are travelling the 1200mile round trip to Frankfurt. 

It is also fan jet friendly.  I'm not sure how much of a deal that is.  I had a crusty rear when I first got the car, but a drizzle of the  good stuff and a bit of probing sorted that. 

No smell yet, is four years long enough? 

The nicest smell screenwash wise was one I used to buy from Carrefour in France.  Fresh grapefruit.  Like eating Opal Fruits without the tooth rotting.

• Like 1

Tesco stuff used to block my jets every time :sweat: .

Vags own stuff is ok too and not much more expensive than other -70C stuff.

Yes VAG stuff is pretty good and lasts forever with the dilution ratio.

I do prefer buying the -70deg types in the winter as no matter what happens weather wise you are ok. Sudden cold snap and it is easy to add a dash more to the washer bottle to give extra protection from freezing.

I don't think it is so much the freezing in the pipes that is the problem, but spraying even a -30C screen wash on your screen when travelling up a German Autobahn in darkest mid winter (ambient temps -15 to -20C) can cause a brown trouser moment. 

I'm sure there are plenty of alternatives, but the Lidl one is (usually) available and very convienient.  You can put a big flagon in the car and top as needed on the way.  No mixing or faffing.  Great if you are travelling the 1200mile round trip to Frankfurt. 

It is also fan jet friendly.  I'm not sure how much of a deal that is.  I had a crusty rear when I first got the car, but a drizzle of the  good stuff and a bit of probing sorted that. 

No smell yet, is four years long enough? 

The nicest smell screenwash wise was one I used to buy from Carrefour in France.  Fresh grapefruit.  Like eating Opal Fruits without the tooth rotting.

I think I understood most of that, up to the part about having a crusty rear....

• Like 1

Just prepping my car for a trip up to Buxton. -70°C screen wash , snow shovel and wellies. :D

They still have snow in Buxton, was there on Monday.

It's only piled up in some sheltered corners though.

I use either the Asda stuff or halfords. Both do the job well. Lowest temperature we've had so far is -2 so I just dilute the readyixed stuff as it never gets that cold anymore.

Our Lidl had loads in before Christmas. Prestone stuff was also a good price in Tesco but you need to check the label and buy the concentrated stuff rather than be conned with the pre mixed. Prestone was better at shedding rain and less smeary than the Lidl.