Speeding fines on motorways and camera vans

ang9444

I think you mean ACPO guidelines, and as many legal eagles will say, they are guidelines, not tramlines, ie not rigid, and no guarantee that they will be adhered to, you still have to be wary of individual discretion being used

Thank you Brimma you are correct, guidelines was the word I should have used :thumbup:

Not on Motorways,

but on Trunk Roads and others you could sometimes see the Signs put out by the Mobile Van Operator,

i watched one set up on the Kingsway in Dundee a Portable Sign & as he turned to walk back to the van, he back heeled it and knocked it over.

Should have gone back a few minutes later, and put it back up lol...

Maybe you did, but daren't admit it. lol..

Edited by rustic

I did called the Senior Tayside Police Officer and Reported the Tayside Safety Partnership Operator,

that was after the Civilian Person tried to bluff me on various stuff like the Mobile Camera Vans Speeding between Locations

for the type of Vehicle they are on and their Max Speed Limits..

Just a heads up on this about vehicle speedo's. My Fabia has a very accurate speedo. It reads just 2 mph fast at all indicated speeds! That's on new tyres. On the old tyres which were half worn before I replaced them, it read 5 mph fast. That's all according to gps, so fairly accurate, but of course not totally! So don't assume your speedo is too far off otherwise you may cop a nip. My friend found his speedo was 10% out by gps but was done for speeding. He always drove over the indicated limit on his speedo allowing for the fact his speedo was fast. He forgot that he'd had new tyres and his speedo was in fact almost spot on like mine!! When we check it afterwards is was just 1mph out at all indicated speeds.

<snip>

I must admit I had never thought through the difference new tyres wouyld make to a car's indicated (speedo) speed, so good point. As it happens I almost always use a SatNav to keep an eye on my speed.

I should've been more careful i know, and i shouldn't have been speeding but there were no signs anywhere for at least 5-10 miles before that van and no signs for another 5-10 miles at least after it, in fact the only sign i saw was before the motorway which was 10-15miles before it

This rather reads as if you feel that your speeding was the fault of someone else failing to remind you?

Best not to mention this in your defence or you are likely to get done for driving without due care and attention ;)

On a completely (well, mostly) unrelated rant, I do wish the Police would do something about the selfish morons who insist on sitting in the middle lane of Motorways at 65 MPH when there is a completely empty inside lane. The Americans allow you to pass on the inside . . . I think . . . ?

We all speed so it's no use moaning about being caught speeding if it happens, whether it was a stealth camera, mobile or fixed camera you've broke the law so accept it.

Whether you think it's fair that a sign wasn't visible or you were only following the car in front and he should get done not you doesn't matter, you went above the speed limit. I'm not a preacher, I was up to 9 points just a few year ago but if you get caught suck it up and learn a lesson, I did and you know what, I still get to where I want to go in roughly the same time !!!

• Like 2

So Insurance renewal in on my Skoda, not what i was in when i was Endorsed with a SP 30, 3 points & £100 fine, 80 in a 70 MPH,

that was somebody elses car, and they had to name me.

So far, £100 Fine paid,

£18 paid for changing the Schedule when letting the Insurance know and now a £72 increase in premium where ever year up to now has 

been getting cheaper.

More Policy renewals to come in the next few months so that extra 10 mph costs dear.

So Insurance renewal in on my Skoda, not what i was in when i was Endorsed with a SP 30, 3 points & £100 fine, 80 in a 70 MPH,

that was somebody elses car, and they had to name me.

So far, £100 Fine paid,

£18 paid for changing the Schedule when letting the Insurance know and now a £72 increase in premium where ever year up to now has 

been getting cheaper.

More Policy renewals to come in the next few months so that extra 10 mph costs dear.

George, I don't know why you were charged to add the speeding offence, it doesn't take effect as you say until renewal. We wouldn't charge as it's added as non rating data until renewal.

Administration for changing the Schedule when i informed them as soon as the Endorsement was added,

done online by them obviously, & no Paperwork sent out, just to my Email,

, and they waived the £18 on 2 other Policies.

How can you argue with that really.

At the renewal today i increased the Annual Mileage (Doubled it), and that was a Increase, then i got a Discount for something or another.

Do your people make no charge for change of Circumstances to the Schedule?

Edited by goneoffSKi

Of course i knew what the speed limit was lol, just because i went over it doesn't mean i don't know what it is, as i said i shouldn't have gone over it and it was my mistake, just wanted to know the consequences and if there was a chance i would have got away with it.

P.s. I did read an article where it said 80mph was new speed limit but apparently that was proposed and never happened so that's why i was wondering about it

Of course i knew what the speed limit was lol,

P.s. I did read an article where it said 80mph was new speed limit but apparently that was proposed and never happened so that's why i was wondering about it

So at the time what did you think the speed limit was, 70 or 80, as you seem to contradict yourself by quoting the newspaper article

• Like 1

Not every speeding offence had the offer of a SAC. Think it up to 20 mph over the advertised speed limit for the road you were caught speeding on.

I asked the nice traffic cop who got me if I would get the offer of the SAC, he said unlikely as I was going too fast, I asked nicely if I could attend the course twice to make up for it  He still said no........................ :no:

^Agreed, I got caught doing 70 in a 40, straight summons, asked for a SAC or even points+fine, he said no and that I was too far over... even though it was an empty country road at 3am, apparently it was excessive and causing harm to the public

Speed limits on motorways are simply insane and should be completely abolished. The only reason for speed limits on motorways is to enable additional income stream, a simple case of illegal taxation.

The camers should stay but be used to penalise the half brains who insist on always driving on the second to the fastest lane no matter how many lanes that particular stretch of a motorway has. This plus compulsory every 5 year re-training of all drivers with motorway driving focus would not only seriously reduce traffic congestion on UK motorways but would demolish the accident rates!

ang9444, don't worry about, assume you got caught. Then after two weeks and no nasty letter you are a happy bunny :)

• Like 2

So at the time what did you think the speed limit was, 70 or 80, as you seem to contradict yourself by quoting the newspaper article

At the time of driving i knew it was 70 and i knew i was speeding

Speed limits on motorways are simply insane and should be completely abolished. The only reason for speed limits on motorways is to enable additional income stream, a simple case of illegal taxation.

You've presumably seen the size of some of the accidents on UK motorways with current speed limits

Imagine the carnage there would be if you abolished speed limits altogether

The suggestion that limits on motorways are a form of taxation is complete BS in my opinion

There'll be the usual "Look at Germany" claims, but sod that, we're not in Germany, we're in the UK

• Like 3

Yeah right, of course you knew.

I knew the speed limit and i exceeded it and i shouldn't have. I then saw an article when i got home saying speed limit was 80 so i was confused and wanted to double check on here, is that alright with you or?

You've presumably seen the size of some of the accidents on UK motorways with current speed limits

Imagine the carnage there would be if you abolished speed limits altogether

The suggestion that limits on motorways are a form of taxation ia complete BS in my opinion

There'll be the usual "Look at Germany" claims, but sod that, we're not in Germany, we're in the UK

There isn't much of the German autobahn left un restricted now is there anyway, that must be for a reason... IMO motorways need a minimum safe speed for those who shouldn't be driving on it and cause issues by coming off slip roads at 30mph etc, keep the max limits on motorways, it does help quite a lot. Having been done speeding on a motorway I'm not biased in any way, limits are there for a reason, stick to them. If un restricted what happens if someone is on the hard shoulder and a car has a blow out at 110 (a more dangerous speed) absolute carnage.
  • Like 1

So this is why they introduced a theory test.

Without meaning to sound too harsh, did you really not know what the motorway speed limit is??

I know what the motorway speed limit was and i shouldn't have exceeded it, what i'm saying is that when i got home i saw an article stating it was raised to 80 and thought "hmm" so i asked on here

Speed limits on motorways are simply insane and should be completely abolished. <snip>

I suspect that you are EXACTLY the type of person who justifies speed limits.

<snip> The only reason for speed limits on motorways is to enable additional income stream, a simple case of illegal taxation. <snip>

Illegal taxation . . . utter rubbish.

<snip>

The camears should stay but be used to penalise the half brains who insist on always driving on the second to the fastest lane no matter how many lanes that particular stretch of a motorway has.

<snip>

Whilst a great idea in theory, how exactly are speed cameras going to achieve that?

ps - MUCH greater use of average speed cameras on a Motorway would make a lot of sense :thumbup:

• Like 1

I am glad the usual crowd reared their sneering snouts up. It just shows plain as day the bigotry, elective blindness to simple facts of life and inherent lack of understanding of the art of driving of a motor vehicle on public highways. 

The below perhaps is not going to convince the hardliners but still, very detailed analysis of 700,000 accidents and their causes done by IAM might open some people's eyes - one might hope...

Speed as the dominating factor accounts for 13% of accidents where "driver error" is 65%!

The comparative level of driver training in UK is simply appalling. It is far easier and profitable to spend vast amounts of money on income generating (illegal taxation) speed traps, which are proven time and time again to have zero influence on road safety then actually do something about the level of UK drivers training :(

Then there is the subject of young drivers. I believe it would be much more beneficial and vastly cheaper to spend millions on building race tracks and drag strips all over the country than spending billions firefighting/symptoms patching the tragic results of young drivers blowing off steam on public roads. Some not so young drivers could benefit from them too:)

Vast majority of Autobahns have no restrictions. Wherever the restrictions occur they are religiously obeyed by German drivers and people who speed on speed limited stretches are in vast majority of cases driving cars wearing non-German reg plates. I drive thousands of miles through Europe every year and it is a pleasure to drive through Germany. Not because you can blow the cobwebs off your engine (that too of course :) ) but due to the exemplary driving culture and very high skill set of the native drivers. It is a sign of intelligence to follow an example of people who do things better than we do...

• Like 2

There are no Motorways north of Perth (UK) but a good few Dual Carriegeway routes. So 70 mph Speeds are allowed.

There are also other UK Areas and Islands without Motorways.

Even still, the UK Driving test needs changed IMHO.

A Basic Test & Licence to drive, then the need for more involved driving.

No Motorways until you are Instructed on Driving on a Motorway, or at the very least on Entering a 70 MPH Carriageway.

& for City Drivers sitting tests,

Instruction on how to drive Rural or Country Roads. 

That leads onto those that never drive a Winter Road until the first time they have to.

Skid Pad Training & Proper 'Simulator Driving Training' & practical at Proper UK Driving Instruction & Test Centres seems easy enough 

to arrange & set up.

Centres for training and testing Emergency Service Drivers, Police / Military, Utilities, General Public Instruction sites set up at the various Decommissioned Military Establishments around the UK would make sense, and many are already established.

But then the UK Government were the ones that did away with Motor Cycle Test Centres and the likes.

• Like 1

"Illegal taxation"

What planet are you living on, Jab?

A country is ruled by it's legislation (law)

If you break the law, you suffer the consequences

It really is that plain and simple

Any suggestion of "illegal taxation" is complete b*ll*cks, but if you'd like to challenge it and take it to the Court of Appeal or higher, please keep us posted with the outcome

• Like 3