Any tweaks to get quicker heat and demist?

This is my first winter with my '12 Octy II FL. I must say I am disappointed with two things:

• Slow heating - it takes several miles before the engine generates any heat to push through the ventilation system
  • Poor fan power to demist the windscreen

I don't like to run the car on idle for 20 minutes just to get the windscreen demisted on the inside. What I normally do is start the car, put it on maximum demist and leave it like that while I scrape the ice off the windows. In my previous car (a Saab), by the time I was finished scraping and got in the car to drive off, the windscreen was demisted and ready to go, but in the Skoda the fan is only just beginning to demist the lowest part of the windscreen. If I want to drive off at that point I have to wipe the inside of the windscreen with a cloth.

Are there any settings one can alter in VCDS or anything else I can do to get quicker/better demisting?

Thanks!

I have a 60-plate petrol VRS and it starts to generate some heat within a couple of minutes! 

The demisting problem may be down to the amount of damp already present in the vehicle.  There is a thread on the site regarding damp which has some good tips.  It's not a problem I experience, but then the car is a bit spoiled by being in a heated garage most nights.

• Like 2

Thanks WesternDuke, have spent some time reading that and a few other threads. Seems to be mixed advice about the aircon off all the time, on all the time or off for start and end of journey but on for middle of journey...

I will get a Halfords dehumidifier bag and start playing around with the AC setting. I don't believe my mkII FL has a "Econ" setting but I'll have a look.

I also read lots of conflicting info, it seems that each model has different answers.

However, my VRS has the dual zone climate control and, after some experimentation, I found that leaving the aircon permanently on automatic massively reduced the misting each morning. When the car is frosty, by turning the temp up to max, the windows will be clear of any misting and the temp is starting to rise by the time the windows have been scraped.

I think that leaving the aircon on automatic keeps any moisture out of the system and therefore does not mist up the windscreen first thing in the morning.

It think it's only a matter of playing with the settings to get the best for your car.

Good luck

• Like 1

I used to suffer with misted windows really badly on my pre face-lift. Leaving the Climatronic in 'Econ' has helped a lot, and also having the heaters pointing at the foot well for the first 30 secs or so, and making sure the windows are spotlessly clean reduces the misting.

Fill a sock with cat litter and tie a knot in the other end, then finally put a second sock around it for any spills etc.  This will suck all the moisture out of the air overnight and stop the problem in the mornings ;)

• Like 2

Moisture ingress and poor demisting is a common complaint on the Octavia.

Check the spare wheel well isn't full of water.

You are lucky in that you have a petrol, diesel's take even longer to heat up!

I have a Diesel and although not quick it is reasonable.  I thought petrols were much better?

I leave the climate on all the time, this helps keep the interior dry(er). 

On cold mornings I engage the recirculation as you are not then introducing any more moisture from outside and the air being blown is drier too.

I take all coats, boots and umbrellas out of the car asap so they are not making the inside damp.

I make an effort to shake snow and as much water off me before getting it into the car.

Doesn't the Diesel Octavia get the Electric Heater ? My previous 2005 A3 Diesel had it installed - it came on to take the chill off the heater air on cold mornings. It was an electric element in the heating airbox.

Doesn't the Diesel Octavia get the Electric Heater ? My previous 2005 A3 Diesel had it installed - it came on to take the chill off the heater air on cold mornings. It was an electric element in the heating airbox.

Unfortunately not.

It should be possible to fit one though.

Best bet is to try and reduce the amount of moisture in the car to start with.

As above just be thankful you don't have a diesel for this reason... they take so bloody long to warm up!

Thinking about getting a winter grille cover too.

Nope! Not an option in the UK! I'm fitting one in spring/summer though ready for next winter!

Nope! Not an option in the UK! I'm fitting one in spring/summer though ready for next winter!

I will be very interested to see how you get on with this as slow demisting is really driving me mad. 

I will be very interested to see how you get on with this as slow demisting is really driving me mad. 

Haha. Me too!

Don't worry I will post up pictures etc of the install. It doesn't look too tricky. The hardest part being running new wires to the battery.

Phil

Haha. Me too!

Don't worry I will post up pictures etc of the install. It doesn't look too tricky. The hardest part being running new wires to the battery.

Phil

Do you know if you'll be doing the 1K0963235E or 1K0963235F/1K0963235G route? Curious as this is something I'm also tempted by but I think it's likely to be one of the latter 'dumb' versions I end up with.

Me too, 20 minutes it took me a few days ago, it was so cold outside the windscreen kept re-freezing until the engine warmed up.

Do you know if you'll be doing the 1K0963235E or 1K0963235F/1K0963235G route? Curious as this is something I'm also tempted by but I think it's likely to be one of the latter 'dumb' versions I end up with.

I'm going for the E version with the integrated controller and wire into the canbus etc.

Phil

I should test this, but...

I wonder if it defrosts quicker if you don't use the "turbo demist" setting. Turbo mode blows loads of (I'm guessing) dry air at the screen to demist it, but it might not heat it well to defrost as it's pulling all that air in from outside where it's cold.

Just running a/c normally, or with the screen vents set as preference, may be quicker as less cold air is brought in to carry the same amount of heat.

But running in re-circ may be quickest for defrosting as no cold air is brought in from outside. (Once the air in the car has started warming up)

i have warm enough air quite quickly in my PD. a few mins and its good enough to drive.

thanks to this thread ive put the A/C on as i dont normally and re-circ and this morning it was damp n cold but cleared much better with the A/C etc.

its been cold and damp all day in brizzle and i hope when i get to car it will be nice n quick this eve to warm up.

i only do 4 -5 miles each way to work and it just about hits 90 Deg by the time i get to work in constant traffic.

a good blast between roundabouts helps too.

Cold denser air makes my Octy feel a hell of alot more torquey too, unless that 2009 IC is that much better than the 2004 IC i used to have on it lol

I fitted the 'e' version to my Octavia a few months back and mikeholroyd kindly offered to do the install through vagcom to activate it. It lasted briefly but then packed up due to faulty resistors inside it. As a stop gap I fitted the more basic 'f' version through a very heavy duty relay operated via a switch I located on the drivers side lower panel . I chose this panel as its the easiest one to replace if need be if I don't need the switch any more. They draw a lot of current so opted to only wire up the two outer elements so as not to put too much strain on the battery. Its not instant heat but you do notice the difference and it makes winter motoring more comfortable with a diesel. Also I find that you can have the fan on fairly high and still get good heat through the vents without the cold air sapping all the heat out of the engines coolant matrix and the air getting cooler again. 

I fitted the 'e' version to my Octavia a few months back and mikeholroyd kindly offered to do the install through vagcom to activate it. It lasted briefly but then packed up due to faulty resistors inside it. As a stop gap I fitted the more basic 'f' version through a very heavy duty relay operated via a switch I located on the drivers side lower panel . I chose this panel as its the easiest one to replace if need be if I don't need the switch any more. They draw a lot of current so opted to only wire up the two outer elements so as not to put too much strain on the battery. Its not instant heat but you do notice the difference and it makes winter motoring more comfortable with a diesel. Also I find that you can have the fan on fairly high and still get good heat through the vents without the cold air sapping all the heat out of the engines coolant matrix and the air getting cooler again. 

Cool, I've seen a few posts about the E revisions having issues which is one of the reasons I'm going to try and avoid it.

I've looked at the wiring diagrams and it looks like it should be pretty simple to wire up the dumb versions 'properly'. From what I understand, there are two pins on the ECU which control low and high heat (40a single and 80a dual elements) via relays so if I can get power coming out of these using VCDS, the rest should be easy.

I think that the cooling system of the 1,4 TSI is designed to circulate in engine internally until thermostate opens. In addition I suspect the engine produces little heat to the coolant water. I found that adjusting AC heat to max. (red) was better than setting temperature. In addition I restricted the air flow through the radiator by covers, the lower grill with panel cover from Superskoda (upper exists also). I made my own.

It became a little better, but still not optimal.

post-123248-0-59530600-1421868827_thumb.jpgpost-123248-0-38400600-1421868771_thumb.jpg