Moments of joy in your day today

mender

On 01/05/2023 at 11:12, Gaz said:

Randomly coming across this YT video:

Because it features G999 PCD, a car I inherited in 2002 and owned for several years.  Lovely to see the old girl's still going 😎

It's made my day!

Gaz

Interesting to see that they ended their road trip at North Weald Airfield, its a place my son and I go to fairly frequently as there are rather lovely warbirds kept there and also a display team of Folland Gnats are based there and offer some decent photograph opportunities, as long as you respect their privacy and keep your distance. This photo is not one mine though, but one pulled off the internet.

R (1).jpeg

Edited by Graham Butcher
  • Like 1

On 01/05/2023 at 11:12, Gaz said:

Randomly coming across this YT video:

Because it features G999 PCD, a car I inherited in 2002 and owned for several years.  Lovely to see the old girl's still going 😎

It's made my day!

Gaz

Untitled.thumb.png.e6a2e92dffc3333afe93982506e07035.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gaz said:

I still can't listen to Coldplay (played at his funeral) without welling up

interestingly it was a Coldplay concert presale that annoyed me this morning..

2 additinal nights announced since lunch time, in Dublin. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Breezy_Pete said:

This was an epic start to today.

Now I'm going to listen to it again.

Wowzer!  It took me a moment to realise it was whatever I thought it was 😎 (see wot I did there 😇 - if it wasn't, then why would I say it was?).

Gaz

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Graham Butcher, The mention of North Weald Airfield took me back 50 years to when I flew there with the Essex Gliding Club.

My UK family live in Essex so I'm in that part of the world on my infrequent visits and have often revisited the field, It is really exciting to see the range of historic aircraft operating from there.

The sound of a Merlin engine is quite distinctive.

11 minutes ago, Gerrycan said:

@Graham Butcher, The mention of North Weald Airfield took me back 50 years to when I flew there with the Essex Gliding Club.

My UK family live in Essex so I'm in that part of the world on my infrequent visits and have often revisited the field, It is really exciting to see the range of historic aircraft operating from there.

The sound of a Merlin engine is quite distinctive.

Yes it is, currently there are 3 Merlin powered aircraft hangared there, 2 Spitfires 1 of which is Russian, and a Mustang, there a few other ex RAF jets there, some flying, other in restoration and quite a lot of historic helicoptors.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AnnoyingPentium said:

Had it all back together with a friend of my late father's helping out. Running well enough which will do.

Well done ryan ,chuffed its up and running again ,keep away from wales now or buy a land rover fer next trip 😂

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

Is that the Fabia or the Focus?

To quote my dear departed father "they all look the same to me son!"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mickvrs220 said:

Well done ryan ,chuffed its up and running again ,keep away from wales now or buy a land rover fer next trip 😂

Will take the Focus on the next trip. I don't mind what happens to it 😂

31 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Is that the Fabia or the Focus?

To quote my dear departed father "they all look the same to me son!"

That's my Fabia. Back on the driveway now after a run about the village and its doing very well.

20230730_150807.thumb.jpg.1d7bfe4c0958cbc16016204ac87b9ee1.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love it! 1

6 hours ago, Liger1956 said:

It looks good. I assume that you have checked the tracking now that you have fitted new parts.

It's still got a bit of toe out... but it's as it was before. The console bushes need done, although the priority is getting the tie rod and see if it'll be able to be aligned although the bushes may stop it in its tracks...

We'll see. :)

• Like 2

Finally it has dried up enough to step outside into the garden and do a spot of online catching up - along with a nice glass of [not] gin & tonic 👍

I say [not] gin 'cos it's Pentire Adrift non-alcoholic spirit with ice, tonic and a spring of rosemary. Refreshing and delicious! (and no, I am not in any way connected with the company).

image.jpeg

• Like 3

Finally dried up! - I have been waiting for ages for a proper downpour 😒

I have done what I hope are all the roof repairs, removal of a chimney and fitted a proper loft access hatch and ladder, no easy task with a concrete beam and block ceiling with a screed over the top, I need to get up there during a proper downpour to see if my repairs are watertight and that I have not missed any cracked tiles.

Only then will I know if I can redo the ridge where I had to remove tiles or have to remove replace the whole ridge and top row of tiles each side, when you lift a tile on the 2nd row to replace one on the 3rd row you inevitably crack the one under the ridge, replacing that cracks the ones either side, you have to know when to throw in the towel.

Of course the ridge will be leaking while I am checking the roof during the rainstorm I hope is coming soon but with a concrete floor under it there will be no lasting damage.

The existing leaks have been for at least 15 years, maybe even 20, the plastered ceilings underneath are black with mould.

Not a very joyous posting but I'm glad you got some good weather at last and hope the bad is coming my way!

Edited by J.R.
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Finally dried up! - I have been waiting for ages for a proper downpour 😒

I have done what I hope are all the roof repairs, removal of a chimney and fitted a proper loft access hatch and ladder, no easy task with a concrete beam and block ceiling with a screed over the top, I need to get up there during a proper downpour to see if my repairs are watertight and that I have not missed any cracked tiles.

Only then will I know if I can redo the ridge where I had to remove tiles or have to remove replace the whole ridge and top row of tiles each side, when you lift a tile on the 2nd row to replace one on the 3rd row you inevitably crack the one under the ridge, replacing that cracks the ones either side, you have to know when to throw in the towel.

Of course the ridge will be leaking while I am checking the roof during the rainstorm I hope is coming soon but with a concrete floor under it there will be no lasting damage.

The existing leaks have been for at least 15 years, maybe even 20, the plastered ceilings underneath are black with mould.

Not a very joyous posting but I'm glad you got some good weather at last and hope the bad is coming my way!

That’s quite a project you’ve got going there!

Hopefully you’ll get plenty of moments of joy as you tick off the milestones along the way and see the progression.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, @Lee said:

As someone who used to enjoy a spot of wild camping, seeing a Judge tell a hedge funder toss pot to shove it brought a moment of joy.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-66341778

yep, superb news. looks like I shall be taking my tent and stove at the end of the month 🙂

• Like 2