Moments of joy in your day today

mender

With all the doom and gloom in the press, I stopped to think; what happens in a day to make you happy; the little moments of joy that make it all worthwhile?

Today:

Took the scooter on a run down the lanes between the heavy showers, just for kicks, Leominster, Brierley, Aulden, Dilwyn, Earsdisland, Leominster.

Little lambs everywhere.  Great clouds.  Black and white houses.  Chicken in the road.  Brooks full.  Swans.  Found myself grinning like a loon.

Came home to happy kids who wanted a big long squeeze and excitedly told me about their day.

Great food and wine.

Burner glowing.

A few little things that brought joy to my day.....what about your day?

• Like 4

As ever when I drive my car it's giving it little blips here and there.  Reminds me what I have made and makes me smile :)

Aside from that it was a decent day.  Crumpets for lunch at work (TFI Friday) got lots done, had a laugh at times, had a nice walk in to town and lunch and was happy to dodge the rain, polished a headlight on my focus - came up nice.

Tomorrow I am polishing up an Audi Q5, so I am expecting to have that nice "car looks lovely" glow by the end of the afternoon. :thumbup:

Bit of a rollercoaster day here.  Had a review of Dad's home care package this morning which was a bit droll, albeit necessary.  Bit of a joy moment when a letter he opened accepted my reasoning and his Housing Benefit will be backdated by three months, which means I just might be able to keep his head above water financially.  A moment of relief amongst a lot of hard work.

Biggest joy was after a crappy two hours in Brighton traffic this afternoon  :dull: .  Took the coast road (A259) home, which was equally dire.  Several cars back from a crawling Suzuki Liana from Rottingdean through to Seaford.  At East Dean, there's a drag of a hill heading towards Eastbourne.  The Liana and its entourage was wheezing up this hill and the oncoming traffic suddenly cleared....that was me gone, no changing down, just torque, timed perfectly.  Joy and elation and a couple of miles of clear road  :rock:

Gaz

Had a call from a long time customer who I service an Aga for. He always had someone else service his boiler as "They do a good job and if it aint broke etc." They serviced it on Monday and it hasn't worked since, and they want to charge him again for coming out to look at it, so would I consider having a look.

Nipped round and the clown had pulled a wire out of the burner connection plug. Popped it back in and tightened it, and all working again. Next year I do both appliances.

• Like 1

Finished cutting the top surfaces for a pair of wall units installed as floor standing.  To hold all the crockery and cutlery.  Much changing of minds.

Was not looking forwards to having to saw the tops.  By hand. 

Having worked in places for years with more lathes, milling machines and saw benches than is healthy, its a bit of a bind to have to go back to a hand job.  (I wonder what the ex is doing with my Wadkin?).  Glad to get it done without sawing through the dining room table.  Nicely scribed in to the wall too.

A thorough sanding and more oiling to come.  No doubt more tasks to follow, there is a list!

Also had crumpets for lunch. Then a read - Harry Hole, may have slung a few zed's too.

17:28 hit 'send' on a load of jobs that had to be in for 17:30. Client had been let down by someone who said they could do it a week ago.

Got back to bar concerned that I would be greeted by a hire van full of kit for Mondays jobs, and found its actually an ibiza full :)

Edited by StevesTruck

Someone in the office kept the pies aside from the catering for last night's event, so that was free lunch and dinner for me today, as well as last night!

The house I viewed today that I was expecting to be a dump was actually really rather nice, and affordable too.

Waking up warm at 10am to coffee and breakfast in bed  :sun: knowing we've got an ace day ahead.

Makes a difference from being on a frozen solid coach at 7am which does not warm up until I get it back into the yard AFTER the school run.  Brrrrr.

Great responses folks, keep 'em coming-it's a really interesting snapshot into what goes on....

After 3 days of pain that no drugs would stop and a total of 5 hours sleep, today I have woken up a new man!

Near-on 14 hours of sleep last night and no pain :rock:

There is no better cure than decent sleep, good for you!

After all this time looking for a new job the first guy who said he'd got someone and would consider me if he didn't work out Emailed me today asking if I was still looking and he would try a trial day. Have replied to the Email and am going to call him tomorrow. It's not set in stone by any means but it's something.  :sun:

• Like 2

My eldest daughter, now 9 years old, had her first trip in the front of my car today, in her child seat of course, with a big smile.

We hit the DIY shop, she rode shotgun on the trolley with the flat packs, with a big smile.

On the way back we had Jessie J's Price Tag on at Mach 10 and both sang our hearts out. We played it 4 times consecutively.

Two big smiles arrived home.

Edited by Latte

Went to Miller and Carter (Steak) restaurant in the Mailbox in Birmingham and lived three hours of orgasmic ecstasy;

Few Ice cold Peronis to start

The most amazing homemade style nachos I have ever tried

Bread and olive sharer

Elderflower presse

20oz Rib-eye off the bone with dripping sauce, accompaniments.  The best steak I have ever eaten ever, knocks D-Antonio's fillet off top spot

Bottle of Australian Merlot, a perfect choice as the recommended partner to the rib-eye

Cocktails:

1x AFTER EIGHT-THIRTY Baileys, Crème de Menthe and Crème de Cacao shaken with cream. 

1x VANILLA WHITE RUSSIAN An updated classic: Smirnoff Vanilla Vodka shaken with Tia Maria, milk and cream

1x CHOCOLATE MARTINI The ultimate indulgence: Smirnoff Black Vodka, Baileys and Crème de Cacao, finished with chocolate OLD FASHIONED An absolute classic: Maker’s Mark, 1x GREY GOOSE LE FIZZ Grey Goose Vodka, elderflower, soda, with a twist of lime

2x VELVET ELVIS Jack Daniel’s and Chambord Raspberry Liqueur built and topped with lemonade

1x LONG ISLAND ICE TEA A mix of Bacardi Superior Rum, Smirnoff Black Vodka, Olmeca Tequila, Bombay Sapphire Gin, triple sec and fresh lime, shaken over ice and layered over Pepsi 

Then staggered to the Digbeth Institute with merry wife and mates for:

Postmodern Jukebox; amazing band, amazing night in a small and intimate club, drinking Honey Jack doubles.

Their version of Hozier's "take me to church" with an outstanding female singer was the best music I have heard this year.

Then to the pub.....

Joy this time was found in ace company, magical food, great drinks and an amazing concert.

Back to 10p beans and scavving the reduced section now, then..... :D

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1