230 Bhp Vrs

They should be noticeable with that e-diff in place ;)

Will they? Potential £1000 uplift for a 0.1s uplift in 0-62 and another 1mph on top speed. Whilst power increases by 10bhp, torque likely to remain the same. Does this offer value for money?

If thats the same diff thats in the Leon Cupra then i'd say it could be worth the £1k extra. Its not gonna be how fast you go in a straight line, but how much speed you can take into and out of the corners. 

• Like 2

Will they? Potential £1000 uplift for a 0.1s uplift in 0-62 and another 1mph on top speed. Whilst power increases by 10bhp, torque likely to remain the same. Does this offer value for money?

absolutely, in my book at least, but then I've never worried about .1 second on the manufacturers quoted 0-60 time as a different driver can make a 1 second + difference. The e-diff will allow more of the power and torque to be used more effectively more of the time. That counts in my book. Look at the reviews of the Golf GTi vs the PP GTi and see the comments from the likes of Chris Harris and Steve Sutcliff re that diff. I've driven the Cupra with it and it's a brilliant bit of kit. Plus the fact that just taking the unique Extreme alloys.... The standard optional extremes were £1000 on their own iirc. And I also like subtle differences, ones you have to look for, not in your face 'enhancements'.
  • Like 3

If thats the same diff thats in the Leon Cupra then i'd say it could be worth the £1k extra. Its not gonna be how fast you go in a straight line, but how much speed you can take into and out of the corners. 

absolutely, in my book at least, but then I've never worried about .1 second on the manufacturers quoted 0-60 time as a different driver can make a 1 second + difference. The e-diff will allow more of the power and torque to be used more effectively more of the time. That counts in my book. Look at the reviews of the Golf GTi vs the PP GTi and see the comments from the likes of Chris Harris and Steve Sutcliff re that diff. I've driven the Cupra with it and it's a brilliant bit of kit. Plus the fact that just taking the unique Extreme alloys.... The standard optional extremes were £1000 on their own iirc. And I also like subtle differences, ones you have to look for, not in your face 'enhancements'.

Wholeheartedly agree with both comments, and yes it's the cornering, point to point, speed that will be the key in this. However some buyers won't necessarily focus on that, the more aware ones will.

Have to agree with all of that, however for me with the standard VRS, bearing in mind coming out of my PCP would be financial suicide due to the value of my car, it's not enough of a difference against what I have, of course I'm bound to say that  :D  :D

Plus you have to ask yourself how you'll be driving the car, very quickly - 230 VRS, normally then the standard ones fine.

Have to admit - had this been around when I ordered then yep, 100% would be going for it. 

Still wish they did more though, either 4x4 or at least the 260/280 Cupra engine like the Superb mk3 is getting!!

Or just offer the bigger turbo with eLSD - yes please!!!!

Hmm, as someone looking at buying a vrs soon I don't see enough to delay ordering and wait 5or6 months for that. I'd hoped for a bit more.

Standard ones a great car, trust me after 28k miles I think I'm in a good place to comment, plus it might drive the price a little lower for you  :D  :D

Seeing pictures of the vRS230 it looks good there is one or two nice thing on the car but that diff is the big thing for me that I give for that to be in my octy vRS TDI

I think skoda should offer the diff as a dealer fit approved option so to maintain the warranty. I suggested this when i picked up my car.

For me (my car is metal grey) darkened headlamps and exhaust tail pipes would look naff imo. I am not a fan of the extreme alloys either to be honest. The chrome pipes make it stand out.

As for the performance, now i've only done a modest 70miles and i'm doing the old school running in process, my vrs feels more eager to rev and go more than my edn 30 golf it replaced with 27k on the clock. Better, smoother dsg. Its a world apart.

I think the 'standard' vrs is a sexy bit of kit. I watched a guy eye **** my car in a car park and at a set of lights a guy in a 14 plate clk merc looked over and was giving the nod of approval......says it all.

Skoda needed to put more in to make it a special edition, but it would always be difficult to improve on a damn good car!!

I think skoda should offer the diff as a dealer fit approved option so to maintain the warranty. I suggested this when i picked up my car.

For me (my car is metal grey) darkened headlamps and exhaust tail pipes would look naff imo. I am not a fan of the extreme alloys either to be honest. The chrome pipes make it stand out.

As for the performance, now i've only done a modest 70miles and i'm doing the old school running in process, my vrs feels more eager to rev and go more than my edn 30 golf it replaced with 27k on the clock. Better, smoother dsg. Its a world apart.

I think the 'standard' vrs is a sexy bit of kit. I watched a guy eye **** my car in a car park and at a set of lights a guy in a 14 plate clk merc looked over and was giving the nod of approval......says it all.

Skoda needed to put more in to make it a special edition, but it would always be difficult to improve on a damn good car!!

The diff is electronically controlled (gather its a little like a haldex clutch but operates on the front wheels only of course) and not purely mechanical.

Retrofit therefore would likely be very tricky; impossible as a dealer fit as no doubt requires addtional hardware and coding.

The vRS 230 I think is a precursor to some form of performance pack option being offered for the vRS....or maybe a vRS+ with the TSI motor in 265 or 280ps tune, diff, big brakes all round etc etc.

I guess it all boils down to what VAG will allow. I like idea of a vRS+ myself...an Octavia with a genuine sub-6 second 0-60, perhaps also sub 30k load-lugger. If they made I have no doubt people would buy it.

....also to be fair if Skoda are proposing a 280ps Superb....then I cant personally see how a faster more hardcore vRS is out of the question.

I am v sure a vRS+ even with 2wd (providing it had the VAQ diff) would prove more popular than a 4wd 280ps Superb.

Is this lower than a stock vRS?

005-skoda-octavia-rs-1.jpg

I would say so. I suspect a visit to the garage that setup the TV advert vRS that also seemed to ride lower and with a wider offset on the rear wheels. Mine is dropped of Eibachs and is the same height I would guess

54055848-3167-4AA3-A9F8-250287A1CC46_zps

• Like 1

yes could just be some motor-show trickery.. we'll have to wait until there's a showroom spec car to look at.

Although i really like the idea of a vRS with another 10bhp and the diff, the Cupra ST also has the diff plus 50bhp more AND switchable dampers and nav as standard.   Skoda need to have a very convincing pricing policy to make me choose this car over the SEAT.

• Like 1

But its not all about power is it Rob_e ?, to get a car in SWMBO frame, you've gotta have that 600 litre boot space and that sadly is where SEAT isn't doing it as a family car.

The ST has 587 litres, so yes, its smaller than the vRS but for me probably still big enough.. just.

• Like 1

But its not all about power is it Rob_e ?, to get a car in SWMBO frame, you've gotta have that 600 litre boot space and that sadly is where SEAT isn't doing it as a family car.

Tbh I need a decent size boot on the next car but I cant quibble between the ST's 587 litres and the Octavia's 610 litres - when you look them over theres very little in it.

The ST has 587 litres, so yes, its smaller than the vRS but for me probably still big enough.. just.

I quit - im just going to let Rob answer for me as we are obviously on the same thinking level with this one! ;)

• Like 1

Like others I'd like the diff but the rest you can keep , also wouldn't be that interested in a performance Superb , the extra wheelbase really doesn't help handling I found turn it quite unpredictable with mine when really pushing on 

• Like 1

Like others I'd like the diff but the rest you can keep , also wouldn't be that interested in a performance Superb , the extra wheelbase really doesn't help handling I found turn it quite unpredictable with mine when really pushing on

The diff is what should have been in the vrs originally. Would definitely want it in mine but like you the other stuff I'm not that fussed about