York minster

billhook

York minster are charging a £10 per person entry fee.

I thought places of worship should be welcoming and free to enter, and not stop you at the door demanding cash.

The church should be ashamed of itself.

• Like 1

You don't have to pay to attend a service there. You do have to pay to just visit to see the architecture and history of the building.  Like a number of other cathedrals, etc. around the country.

Some say......that Stonehenge used to be a place of worship.  You have to pay to get up close to that too.

Edited by FlintstoneR1

Wholely reasonable to me

Why shouldnt they?

They have to pay the bills

If you dont want to pay......Dont go in..Simples

It's not a charge Chris, :no:  it's classed as a Donation to Alan's fuel bill..................... :giggle:

He's been praying that petrol would come down in price and the heavenly father has chipped in

• Like 1

York minster are charging a £10 per person entry fee.

I thought places of worship should be welcoming and free to enter, and not stop you at the door demanding cash.

The church should be ashamed of itself.

So who do you think has to pay for the up-keep of the building?

£10 seems perfectly reasonable.

And it is free to enter for worship, so you need to get your facts straight before you start complaining.

It's not a charge Chris, :no:  it's classed as a Donation to Alan's fuel bill..................... :giggle:

He's been praying that petrol would come down in price and the heavenly father has chipped in

You live by the sword and..... :giggle:

Was in York for a professional conference a few weeks ago. got chucked out the minster when one of the guys tried to take a sneaky pic of the rose window without paying (he's freakishly big and could reach around the booth).

Quite funny us guys aged 37-54 acting like school kids.

Lots of nice pubs in York.

Forget York Minster and head over to Beverley Minster at the other end of the trail. Free and just a donation to take as many pics are you want. which you will want as it is just as impressive and nicer to walk around without the throngs. Saturday morning roof top tours are pretty good too. 

When you consider how old these buildings are and how much it costs for the upkeep, it is not surprising they are having to charge.

A lot of the stonework is in a poor state now (after hundreds of years of weathering it is not surprising) and stonemasons who can carry out that kind of restoration are not that common or cheap. That and the cost of the scaffolding/materials etc all add up.

When you consider how old these buildings are and how much it costs for the upkeep, it is not surprising they are having to charge.

A lot of the stonework is in a poor state now (after hundreds of years of weathering it is not surprising) and stonemasons who can carry out that kind of restoration are not that common or cheap. That and the cost of the scaffolding/materials etc all add up.

They should knock it down and build something new in its place - like a shopping mall.......... we don't have enough of them yet

• Like 1

Went there with the g/f and we both thought it was well worth £10.

If I hadn't been injured, we'd have paid the extra to go up the tower too.

I did pay the extra to go up the tower - was well worth it. Even on a relatively poor day the views were excellent.. Can get pretty blustery on the top though.

So who do you think has to pay for the up-keep of the building?

£10 seems perfectly reasonable.

And it is free to enter for worship, so you need to get your facts straight before you start complaining.

Ah thanks for pointing out the error of my ways. Of course i had the facts, but as i was looking for a bit of quiet contenplation in what i believe should be a free to enter religeous centre.

Having to pay is wrong!

I have visited many other grand catherderals around the world and never found many demanding money, when a donation is sufficient.

So perhaps it is you that should get your facts right.

Ah thanks for pointing out the error of my ways. Of course i had the facts, but as i was looking for a bit of quiet contenplation in what i believe should be a free to enter religeous centre.

Having to pay is wrong!

I have visited many other grand catherderals around the world and never found many demanding money, when a donation is sufficient.

If it's so wrong to pay towards the upkeep and running costs of the minster, then perhaps your thoughts on the subject would be better aimed towards the relevant authorities in the church. I'm not sure a car based forum will get you much in the way of answers to your issues.

Also, "I have visited many other grand catherderals around the world and never found many demanding money, when a donation is sufficient."

Never found many?  :doh:

If it's so wrong to pay towards the upkeep and running costs of the minster, then perhaps your thoughts on the subject would be better aimed towards the relevant authorities in the church. I'm not sure a car based forum will get you much in the way of answers to your issues.

Also, "I have visited many other grand catherderals around the world and never found many demanding money, when a donation is sufficient."

Never found many?  :doh:

And your point is ?

Having to pay is wrong!

I have got my facts right.

York Minister makes an entrance charge....FACT.

If you don't like it then don't go there.

Nobody forced you.

There are plenty of other places in York for contemplation.

• Like 2

Tbh people don't visit the Minster for its Godness people come to see it for what it is a nice old building with some nice glass you want to see the glass you pay. Why would it be any different.

Your right many churches don't charge but other do.

Many other old buildings charge fees some don't.

If your attend the Minster for a service they don't charge of your a tourist been nosey and wanting a look round then it costs simple really :)