MY16

My Octavia Scout was delivered today. It was ordered as a MY15, mid April and was manufactured on Tuesday of week 22 as a MY16. It has all the MY16 cosmetic updates and the updated MIB2, 8" Columbus with Smartlink!! I figure Smartlink is standard on Columbus on MY16 models. Tried it out with my iPhone 6 and Carplay and it works like magic! The Smartlink upgrade is a bonus of course, but I love the feeling of a new car. It's a 1.8 TSI (180 bhp), DSG6, Quartz Grey metallic, Canton audio, front assist, lane assist, light assist, AAC, Leather/alcantara, tow bar, heated windscreen, webasto, kessy and sunset. Shame that I am going on a week holiday to Greece tomorrow..

Congratz!:) Would u mind posting some pics of ur unit please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Octavia Scout was delivered today. It was ordered as a MY15, mid April and was manufactured on Tuesday of week 22 as a MY16. It has all the MY16 cosmetic updates and the updated MIB2, 8" Columbus with Smartlink!! I figure Smartlink is standard on Columbus on MY16 models. Tried it out with my iPhone 6 and Carplay and it works like magic! The Smartlink upgrade is a bonus of course, but I love the feeling of a new car. It's a 1.8 TSI (180 bhp), DSG6, Quartz Grey metallic, Canton audio, front assist, lane assist, light assist, AAC, Leather/alcantara, tow bar, heated windscreen, webasto, kessy and sunset. Shame that I am going on a week holiday to Greece tomorrow..

First of the smartlinks! Have you plugged your phone in and did android auto/apple car play just work!?

Congratz!:) Would u mind posting some pics of ur unit please?

Some pics of the dash...

4e141fb0379aac161ad088b23d584b7d.jpg

And one of the non functioning sat Nav (also posted on dedicated thread)...

881579c2671f5e56c416cbf586c51f65.jpg

Sent from Tapatalk for Android

Edited by RB79
  • Like 1

I'd have hoped that was obvious Rob ;-) ;-) ;-)

ok, ok.. just checking :)

So, to be clear, you ordered a vRS, ticked the box for the "free" amundsen, and even though it says 5,8 /low res on the brochure and the configurator, and my conversations with SUK customer services only two weeks ago confirmed that the free amundsen is the old/small unit, it's actually the bigger MIB2 6.5 hi-res unit that you get?

If so, i'm going to change my order to take off the columbus!

So, to be clear, you ordered a vRS, ticked the box for the "free" amundsen, and even though it says 5,8 /low res on the brochure and the configurator, and my conversations with SUK customer services only two weeks ago confirmed that the free amundsen is the old/small unit, it's actually the bigger MIB2 6.5 hi-res unit that you get?

I Think the Columbus is the much better unit though still

• Like 1

I Think the Columbus is the much better unit though still

Surely not £1500 better now the Amundsen is the same resolution and only 1.5" smaller in size.

Tend to agree with Iamholam. With flash memory capacity being so big these days I.e. less of a need for the built in HDD, other than the larger screen, other Columbus features not really worth it. Don't think £1500 is worth it for the larger screen.

6.5in Amundsen is pretty good, although not yet experienced using it for mapping :-s

Sent from Tapatalk for Android

• Like 1

Surely not £1500 better now the Amundsen is the same resolution and only 1.5" smaller in size.

MIB2 Columbus has got the same display as MIB1?

MIB2 Columbus has got the same display as MIB1?

The mib1 columbus had an 800x480 8" display which was quite a bit nicer than the mib1 amundsen 400x240 5.8" display.

However as the mib2 amundsen is also now 800x480 and now a little bigger at 6.5" the difference is much less pronounced. These are just hardware though, I am not sure what the software differences between the 2 are.

The mib1 columbus had an 800x480 8" display which was quite a bit nicer than the mib1 amundsen 400x240 5.8" display.

However as the mib2 amundsen is also now 800x480 and now a little bigger at 6.5" the difference is much less pronounced. These are just hardware though, I am not sure what the software differences between the 2 are.

Yep, but my question is whether the MIB2 Columbus is still only 800x480

Yep, but my question is whether the MIB2 Columbus is still only 800x480

From skoda autos smartlink page, I believe it is.
  • Like 1

Not in the slightest - there's far better things to spend £1500 on

Have to agree. If it was an upgrade difference between the free (£745) to the Columbus then maybe it might be worth it. So maybe only £800 to upgrade for example.

One advantage of the Columbus ( though not sure it's worth the cost) is greater list of audio files played and it will play video file formats where Admundsen won't play any video as far as I can ascertain

• Like 2

oooh, not sure I like that glossy black surround, will show all manner of dust and greasy paw prints... :-(

I'm more concerned about fingerprints on the screen. I want to get a screen protector, which are available for MIB1, but I guess it will be a while until MIB2 ones become available. Eventually I will get around to starting a new thread asking about screen protectors. Touch screens which have been used for a few years with no proctection always look awful.

From skoda autos smartlink page, I believe it is.

That's disapointing. It really should be at least 1000x600

Sorry Rob, I was only joking.

I haven't got the ruler out admittedly but the screen looks a tiny bit bigger (very subtle difference) but certainly the touchscreen seems more reactive / accurate etc.

I personally couldn't justify the Columbus and again on a personal note, I can't justify yet laying to get Smartlink unlocked because I just don't think it has the functionality yet.

• Like 1

I haven't got the ruler out admittedly but the screen looks a tiny bit bigger

No need for a ruler, its defeinitely the MIB2 /6.5" screen.  old and new:

Amundsen_new_old.jpg

Edited by rob_e
  • Like 1

just a few more days hopefully until mine is here, it's in Newcastle waiting for a transporter.

I was worried I wouldn't be able to try out android auto but this lunch time Motorola rolled out Android Lollipop for my phone - android auto needs Lollipop to run. Result. 

• Like 1

just a few more days hopefully until mine is here, it's in Newcastle waiting for a transporter.

I was worried I wouldn't be able to try out android auto but this lunch time Motorola rolled out Android Lollipop for my phone - android auto needs Lollipop to run. Result.

Hope it all works! Happy to provide my nexus5 for support!
  • Like 1