B-Pillar cover - damaged by seat belt.

I just checked our car and we have some wear there as well. Both my wife and I are average height (though she has her seat way too far forward). It seems that as we draw the belt, if we pull it more than a few inches from our bodies, at roughly chest height or higher, it rubs into that groove. Raising it helps a little, but I can see how a shorter individual would dig a groove.

If a dealer claims incorrect use, I would have them demonstrate "correct use". Watch the belt carefully as they draw it over them, if the belt brushes the guard, or if it would in the hands of a shorter person, then it is a warranty issue.

• 3 weeks later...

Waking up the thread to let everyone know that my pillar covers were replaced under warranty. The dealer told me right away that this kind of damage wasn't acceptable.

Edited by Mardu

• 5 months later...

We also have the same issue with a 10k miles, 5 month old Octavia estate.  Dealer showed us a 'technical' bulletin which Skoda had distributed to dealers identifying user error in adjusting the seatbelt and not covered under warranty.  Ours has gone through the surround and also the pillar material look trim so both are being replaced.  Also similar problem on passenger side, although just starting.  Dealer has agreed to replace, as they were not happy with Skoda's stance and was the second they had seen in a short period.  

In my view, i's just a poor design with poor quality materials around the mechanism, coupled with the fact the seat has very good adjustment in all directions, which allows for potential user error, particularly if more than one person regularly drives the car.  I can't think of many who would adjust the mechanism every time they swap, but perhaps they need to include this in their 'handover' procedure when you buy a car.

Yes its **** quality basically.

The Mk7 Golf has a completely different setup which prevents any such thing happening.

Our near 30k mile Mk3 has this on the drivers side....you simply shouldnt have to take any care about how you put the seatbelt on to prevent damage to the trim; its absolutely proposterous.

My replacement covers are starting to get damaged again... The angle of the opening and the positioning of the metal clip in the pillar are just wrong - I've checked multiple other cars and none of them allow the belt to rub its edge in the pillar cover opening corner.

The reason of the wear is not that I pull the belt too hard or at a stupid angle, but because when I release it, it pulls itself in the corner.

Had a look at mine this morning and it's starting to wear too, it's only two weeks old! I may email the dealer with a photo and ask them to log it as it's not that bad at the moment but I would want the cover replacing when it gets worse.

• 2 weeks later...

Well Clock Skoda said "outside forces have caused it". Basically saying me and the Missus don't know how to put on a seat belt correctly, What's the point of a new car and warranty? Not impressed poor design and poor service from Skoda.

Plus they wanted nearly £60 for the **** plastic part.

Back to old cars after this shiny turd for me and the Missus can lease the cheapest new plate thing going to satisfy the stupid co car rules.

Edited by Stuski

Me too. Only 3000 miles on the clock and plastic is rubbing away already :( how hard is it to replace the part? What are the chances of a replacement loosening that plastic clips in that area and making premature rattles happening?

Well Clock Skoda said "outside forces have caused it". Basically saying me and the Missus don't know how to put on a seat belt correctly, What's the point of a new car and warranty? Not impressed poor design and poor service from Skoda.

Plus they wanted nearly £60 for the **** plastic part.

Back to old cars after this shiny turd for me and the Missus can lease the cheapest new plate thing going to satisfy the stupid co car rules.

Indeed....fed up with running new Skodas now...great cars but things like this (where its blatantly a flawed design and Skoda dont want to admit it) and woeful residuals really put me off having another...shame as ive had three now in the past four or so years and theyve on the most part been great.

When the Octavia goes am thinking either going for a 255 or 272hp E91 330i of some description for several K or maybe going true bangernomics and maybe looking to run an aged W210/211 E320 CDI 7 seater until it expires. For what ive lost on the Skoda I could buy and happily scrap a few of them :-)

• Like 1

So that's three dealers visited all saying user error and Skoda UK not giving a flying ****. At least one of the dealers was honest enough to say this isn't acceptable but hands are tied.

I suggest a new slogan for Skoda.

Skoda simply S H I T.

How to lose a customer over £60 well done Skoda :(

Edited by Stuski

Having read this topic I checked mine and the driver side belt has gouged the plastic trim. I have my belt set to the correct height so agree this must be a design fault.

As damage to the seat belt material could happen that would inevitably lead to an MOT failure when the time comes.

In that case I have written to Skoda UK pointing out a design fault which could potentially become a safety issue.

I suggest if enough people do the same stressing the safety aspects then they might sit up take notice.

• Like 1

Having read this topic I checked mine and the driver side belt has gouged the plastic trim. I have my belt set to the correct height so agree this must be a design fault.

As damage to the seat belt material could happen that would inevitably lead to an MOT failure when the time comes.

In that case I have written to Skoda UK pointing out a design fault which could potentially become a safety issue.

I suggest if enough people do the same stressing the safety aspects then they might sit up take notice.

I totally agree with you that if we all complain they will be more likely to do something about it, but one thing I would mention is not to say its a design fault but rather the plastic trim compound being too soft (remember some of the people who deal with these things aren't the brightest of people)

Well got a reply from Skoda UK and until a dealer examines the damage "And Gives Me Appropriate Advice" they cannot take the matter further.

No doubt the appropriate advice will be to tell me how to use a seat belt!! Can't be bothered making a 40 mile round trip to my nearest dealer, but will call in when next in the area and see what they have to say. At least mine was another voice telling Skoda there is a problem with a cheap bit of trim.