Shell v-power nitro+ diesel in vrs

Does anyone use it?

I 'accidentally' filled up on my company shell fuel card with a tank load for a 350mile round trip today and was t exactly hanging around and the car seemed to pull much better but also (according to the computer anyway) achieved maybe 5-6mpg more than I'd normally expect at similar speed with regular shell fuel save diesel.

Was going to work out some figures to try and justify to our accounts dept that I should be using v-power all the time for the mpg benefits but it depends if we get a discounted/fixed weekly rate as we do on the regular diesel.

Be interested if anyone else has noticed mpg gains ?

Don't notice any difference either.

I do use it once every five or six tank fill ups as it has a higher detergent content and keeps things nice and clean inside.

I use BP Ultimate exclusively. I noticed in the previous car that the engine just runs cleaner, and in the vRS manual it clearly states that the higher quality fuel you use the less ash particles you run into your DPF. 

There have also been tests that prove that these fuels consistently return higher power ratios though I think the increase is mostly noticable on a benchmark rather than during normal driving.

• Like 1

I've have my MKIII Vrs for a year and she only drinks Shell V power, it's a lot cleaner than the Supermarket cr*p

I also try and use the same Petrol  Station.

If I'm off on a trip I try and fill up so I can get back home with out filling up.

• Like 1

Ive never been able to prove any noticeable difference between Shell Fuel Save and Shell V Power diesel.

BUT I return about 5mpg better on Shell diesel than I do on Tesco diesel ..........

Interesting, i tend to use Shell because i have two fuel cards for the car - an 'all star' one that does most petrol stations and a shell account one. But with the shell account we get an agreed fixed price on a Monday each week which covers any shell garage in the country - this week it works out as 115.13p/l including the vat, which is around the same price as supermarket fuel round here (maybe a little less).

Yesterday morning i used the V-power at Northbound Sedgemoor services on the M5 and this really did make some difference, but coming home i filled up with Shell fuel save at Taunton Deane South and the bit home and today car has definitely not felt as good. Think i'll try normal fuel save from Sedgemoor on my way out next time.

Ive never been able to prove any noticeable difference between Shell Fuel Save and Shell V Power diesel.

BUT I return about 5mpg better on Shell diesel than I do on Tesco diesel ..........

+1

Always used it from the first fill up of my mk2. Can't compare it the regular diesel, as I don't use it.

Double shell points are always welcome too.

• Like 1

Mk1 and mk2 (both petrol ) only ever used v power... Ive used v power and bp ultimate in my diseasal vrs mk3, and I can notice absolutely no difference whatsoever...... Did use cetane booster (stp or similar) from motorworld / Halfords and with that I DID notice more shove.

Still cant give that tractor the slip though, every time I open the window, all I can hear is it following me.....

• Like 2

I always use Tesco diesel as it's on my route. Never noticed any performance loss. Work foots the bill so I'm not fussed either.

I have no idea if its part placebo effect or whatever, but I do think the car pulls better with Nitro+, and low end pull seems to suffer a bit with cheap stuff.

The readout also reported a few extra mpg on the same run, but traffic differences might have been the cause.

Soon after I got the car, I decided to run Shell diesel only, and Nitro+ every 2-3 fill ups.

For convenience, the last 2 top ups have been regular Tesco fuel, and, it does feel like my low down  pull isn't so good now.

• Like 1

I use this diesel, but in my wife's 2007 Toyota 2.2 D4D Verso. It runs better, it doesn't ever chuck out smoke, and as she uses it mainly round town (not originally plan for this car when bought) it otherwise gets pretty filthy. I also like the idea of the injector cleaning etc and reckon the difference in price might hopefully offset a big bill.

• Like 1

Interestingly i filled up at the same Shell garage (Sedgemoor services on the M5 Northbound), this morning but with the standard shell fuel save diesel, and then did the same trip as when i first posted this, and i truly believe that the car responded and did better mpg than the fuel i'd been using over the last week (from a shell filling station in Devon).

Hence i'm now wondering if its the location of the garage and where the fuel actually comes from - I don't know the actual but just thinking our fuel in Devon and Cornwall probably comes in via plymouth distribution depot (presumably from abroad via the sea) whereas maybe further up country, Somerset, it comes from a different source - maybe from Southampton or Pembroke?