vRS Mk. II 1.4 litre twincharger oil consumption issues

11 minutes ago, Offski said:

Why should the owner of the vehicle and the warranty policy holder have the results withheld?

Not Data Protection, they can withhold the Technicians name.

The 300 km test is next to useless anyway as the oil use increases as the quantity drops and the drop in 186 miles is not much even with excessive users, 

and especially if a tech 'Over fills it in error',   as some do, pure mistake obviously,  but why the dropped oil weight is important on the report.

the 750 mile usage is more important.

the 0.5 litres in 1,000 km is not acceptable, or 1 litre in 2,000 km (1,242 miles),  but the weight of oil over the 750 miles is going to be very important.

But Skoda and you need to know the weight drained before the test and after the test.

This is the crazy Invoice /  report where a Tech must have though 1 litre weight 1,000 grams. 

& that they got all of the 3.6 oil out at the beginning of the test, and then have it weighing 1,000 grams a litre.

3,643 grams of drained oil would be over 4.2 litres not 3.6 litres.

455a4eee-ff43-4186-9c92-b94363e633a0_zps11333bb7 (2).jpg

Thanks for that Chief.

It will indeed be interesting to see.

Funny how he only seems interested in the 1st test data. Probably will try to fob me off if the 1st test was done technically correct. They can then try to claim the fault only transpired AFTER warranty expiry.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, been offline for couple of weeks. Any update on Paul5000 and his troubles with his wee car and SUK?

I detected a different tack taken by SUK in one of Paul' last contributions, that of the second of the 3 wee monkeys, see no evil. As in, ignoring the fact that a second, and more thorough, oil consumption test had taken place that would provide a better representation of the oil being used by the vehicle in an everyday situation.

And that there was a genuine fear that SUK were ignoring this test in favour of the first in order to perhaps invalidate any claim under warranty. If they do go down this path, stick to your guns that no satisfactory resolution was presented to you as the owner based on the initial complaint as witnessed by the fact a second oil consumption test took place, if a resolution had been found then no second test would have happened.

Hopefully you're getting somewhere with them. To me, the initial contact from Exec Office was standard by the book stuff, non committal and giving the appearance of a fresh hand at work. They already know about your case, and will have read up on it prior to speaking to you. It's all part of the game to them.

And that's the sad part, the reputational damage of handling legitimate customer complaints in this manner is not befitting of a company with aspirations of becoming a highly thought of world wide brand.

Hello everyone!

The delay has been due to the dealership being typically slack in their responses to S.U.K.

Eventually they provided their data of the 2 consumption tests and SUK were not happy!  In their view the first test should have been done over more mileage, which is strange as I thought the dealership were only following out orders of SUK when doing this test.... 

The second test was not disputed and showed my car to be using nearly DOUBLE the acceptable amount of oil.

And now, the bombshell:  They have offered to fund 100% of the £800 repairs bill.

So naturally I'm over the moon with this as I've finally got what should have been done long ago. 

The Skoda Executive I dealt with was actually pretty good.  Always rang when he said he would and after he got the test results he made the offer of 100% without trying to argue/wangle or reduce it further.

So I now await the car being booked in for the repairs!  My only worry is if the repairs will actually work or not and what will happen then?  The car is now out of the warranty period so I don't know if I will get any further work carried out under warranty or not.

Thanks once again to everyone for all your helpful comments.

Success has just about been achieved!  :party:  Paul.

• Like 2

The £800 is only an attempt to reduce the Oil Consumption, and that is unlikely if it was using 1 litre in 1,000 km.  

They are going to have to go the whole way and replace the engine if fitting Oil Spray Jets does not sort the excessive oil consumption.

You should be getting that assurance from them in writing.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Offski said:

The £800 is only an attempt to reduce the Oil Consumption, and that is unlikely if it was using 1 litre in 1,000 km.  

They are going to have to go the whole way and replace the engine if fitting Oil Spray Jets does not sort the excessive oil consumption.

You should be getting that assurance from them in writing.

I did ask this on the phone but he said we'll have to cross that bridge when we come to it (or similar). I would like to know where I stand with this important issue.   I was thinking I should ask for another consumption test after the repairs to see where it stands. 

I had the spray bar mod done & had a consumption test. I did a few dipstick tests myself (not the most accurate but it helped) & noticed that the mod appeared to have worked, but I didn’t want to take the chance with it failing further down the line & only having two months warranty left..... So.... I “made sure” it failed the test. By that I mean it lost exactly the same as before the mod so they had no option but to replace the engine.

• Like 1

My worry now is that my 6 months spent using the car whilst the Dealership delayed the 2nd oil consumption test may have been damaging my car even more!  I wonder if they ever go straight to engine replacement rather than modification first? Perhaps I have a case to argue for this to happen now?

PS I'm now booked in for the spray mod in approx 2 weeks.

• Like 1

Only very occasionally have they gone to the Engine replacement,  but you have to have a near death experience, loose all the oil maybe or drive power on a slip road as you enter the motorway or what ever, or the engine dies and a tip is off a spark plug and an engine is no longer reparable.

So let them play their game, get the courtesy car, let them try the sticking plaster, run the car afterwards, do not abuse it, just see the oil use for each 2 tanks of fuel, 

if after a few months is is becoming an excessive oil user you then get your new engine.

They know the fault and how long it has dragged on and been getting the engine parts more gubbed.

• Like 1

Thanks Offski.  Will bear that in mind!

How long after the 'repair' would you think is reasonable to see if its worked?  I'm wondering if they will plan to do another oil consumption test after the repair to check on it so wonder how long afterwards they should be doing that test.

You have all the time in the world as long as you do not die, or as many do, punt the car while they can.

There are those in the 'Oil Squirter' threads that say it works, then that it does not and some swear it kept working and we never see them again.

Your engine is beyond repair, the Master Tech must know that, the Warranty Manager does, the Tech Department does and Rod MCLeod the Skoda UK CEO knows, 

but then they do not give a tosh.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 27/09/2018 at 11:11, Paul5000 said:

My worry now is that my 6 months spent using the car whilst the Dealership delayed the 2nd oil consumption test may have been damaging my car even more!  I wonder if they ever go straight to engine replacement rather than modification first? Perhaps I have a case to argue for this to happen now?

PS I'm now booked in for the spray mod in approx 2 weeks.

Ours went straight to engine replacement back in September 2014, but I think most others had other forms of attempt made as stated by offski. I have a feeling that the incompetence of the manager at the dealer at the time worked in our favour. On that occasion.

Summer 2010 since these cars were brought into the UK and still owners have the battle with Skoda UK & Skoda CZ / VW because 

they never accepted that they built engines with Fundamental Design, Manufacturing, Materials, Components and Software failings.

Then discontinued those engines in 2012 and revised them and still never rectified all the faults in components or software.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/455828-engine-rebuild

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The opening post on this thread says that "The oil capacity is exactly 3.6 litres, you should NEVER overfill.".

I seem to recall reading somewhere here that people do actually put in 3.9 litres of oil.

Why is this not a problem and what exactly would be the result of overfilling the oil?

Just curious . . .

I put in 3.9 or even 4 litres in my cars or those belonging to others that i discussed with the oil quantity and the 'possible' issues with Twinchargers and that understood why, and were happy to try that amount of oil from a Oil & Filter change,

Reason i started was after talking with a Master Tech then others that were doing the same from the experience of 3.6 litres really being a bit low and going low to soon with oil users.

3.9 or 4 litres shows the correct reading on the dipstick @ Normal Operating temperature.

You can read the level with Stone Cold oil and then after starting and stopping the engine, and then after a run.

There were plenty techs servicing and putting in 3.6 litres, then topping up more and actually using 4 litres.

Some were over filling and putting in 4.2 litres.

I am not suggesting anyone does put in 4 litres, just saying IME it was and is not a problem.

The problem is more 5w 30 Full Synthetic Long Life oil IMO.   & 3.6 litres and 1.3 litres lower and still no Low Oil Warning Light or message given.

59fc1f3e14a29_SkodaFabiaengineoilcapacities.PNG.a7f691f357f02cfe9ea07e59c3b0eff3.PNG

post-86161-0-24723600-1446204577.jpg

w960_4095-227.png.b23b02239ceecffab9f7f4e945e494ff.png

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Out of curiosity, how much additional oil should one of these be using per year? Having spoken to a few people who are selling their VRS - most have stated their cars using a small amount of oil! But what is acceptable? 

There are cars that drink oil according to the owner / driver and someone buys them, fits the right plugs, oil and runs the right fuel and stops using oil.

How they are used and serviced makes a difference. 

If someone tootles about does short trips, lots of cold starts a good Twincharger can still need maybe 0.5 litre every 2 or 3 tanks of fuel, 

and some need none.

If the car / engine gets up to heat every time it is used or almost and has 5w 40 FS oil, even 5w 30 FS LL then maybe no oil is used other than the need every few thousand miles for a bit of a top up.

Normal oil use and excessive oil use are very different things.     You are entering a mine field. 

Does the Green vRS in the for sales not appeal to you?

8 minutes ago, Skoffski said:

There are cars that drink oil according to the owner / driver and someone buys them, fits the right plugs, oil and runs the right fuel and stops using oil.

How they are used and serviced makes a difference. 

If someone tootles about does short trips, lots of cold starts a good Twincharger can still need maybe 0.5 litre every 2 or 3 tanks of fuel, 

and some need none.

If the car / engine gets up to heat every time it is used or almost and has 5w 40 FS oil, even 5w 30 FS LL then maybe no oil is used other than the need every few thousand miles for a bit of a top up.

Normal oil use and excessive oil use are very different things.     You are entering a mine field. 

Does the Green vRS in the for sales not appeal to you?

It does indeed but at the right money! Are you familiar with this car? 

Yes from the previous owner and the one he bought it from and just the seller / owner now from the forum.

I would buy that one happily. 

There are a few around i would buy but my next one will be the last of the CTHE Estates built / registered, then it will get a Blueprinted engine.

1 minute ago, Skoffski said:

Yes from the previous owner and the one he bought it from and just the seller / owner now from the forum.

I would buy that one happily. 

There are a few around i would buy but my next one will be the last of the CTHE Estates built / registered, then it will get a Blueprinted engine.

What year were last of the CTHE engines built and whats Blueprinted? 

The Twinchargers in Europe were last built in 2014. 

Blueprinted in my case will be an engine that is rebuilt as good as it can be with the correct (quality) parts correctly fitted and the rough bits internally removed etc, and with a CAVE or CTHE a better inlet manifold than the crap VW / Skoda fitted.

15 minutes ago, Skoffski said:

The Twinchargers in Europe were last built in 2014. 

Blueprinted in my case will be an engine that is rebuilt as good as it can be with the correct (quality) parts correctly fitted and the rough bits internally removed etc, and with a CAVE or CTHE a better inlet manifold than the crap VW / Skoda fitted.

What parts in particular would you look to replace? 

Sorry but not to be rude maybe read this thread.

Maybe read some others and read the pinned thread that links 'Lucifers Guides' part one and 2.

The parts to replace are basically the sh!te that VW build the engines with an use better parts if you want more performance and reliability.

If you get a good engine then standard they are good for 205-220 ps.  But the DSG needs uprated clutches.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

My recently acquired 2011 VRS I initially thought to be using quite a bit of oil, as it happens I don’t think I properly checked the dipstick level before initially  topping it up, that was over 2 weeks ago, after topping up the level was exactly halfway up the top plain section of the dipstick above the central hatched area, 2 weeks on and about 300 miles on I checked the level today and I’m  loathe to say if the level has dropped at all, if it has it’s probably dropped less than 0.5mm. Looks like I may have dropped lucky and have a CAVE engine that only has a slight thirst for oil, don’t intend to be complacent though, a weekly check will be the order of business, seems promising though.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Looks as though my initial impression of the oil consumption was wrong, it’s worse than I thought, it looks as though it’s used about a litre in 600miles. Have to admit I’m surprised as I don’t get any sooty or oily deposits on the back of the car near the exhaust pipes and I’ve only once noticed smoke from the exhaust, that was when I set off from rest quickly after travelled downhill on a trailing throttle for about a mile. I’ve also been habitually watching the rear view mirror when accelerating hard to check for smoke but so far I’ve not seen any.

It has been mentioned that the oil consumption can be higher with short journeys after a cold start, unfortunately that’s my usual diet of car usage, maybe 5-8 miles at a time. If it continues at this rate my stockpile of oil will be gone before the next oil change is due, if it is I’ll switch to 5w40 and see if that improves it.

Edited by Fitzwilliam
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1