vRS Mk. II 1.4 litre twincharger oil consumption issues

1 hour ago, Awayoffski said:

OK. Will go see it. I will spend time going over it. 

You get the low down from the sales person.

You need to nail them down on the Warranty, then the Servicing that they say was or can be done is questionable.

There have been lemons sold by them in the past, a White one that was in Edinburgh for an example, and an estate they had.

(there was a thread on it at one point.)

So £6,105 @ Evans Halshaw

Ford Dealership,  Cumbernauld Road.

G33 2ET

I am going to Provanmill anyway as it happens.

Yup that's the very one

• Like 1

When I purchased my VRS it was from a Skoda Dealer in leamington spa.

i paid £8k on a march 14 plate and they recon' all the alloys, new tyres all round and 1st Mot with 2 free services. 30k on the clock. A great deal I think.

theyre are not many at dealers though over 3 years old. But the ones I see on autotrader are quite expensive.

have a good hunt around - if you have over 6k to spend you may even find a 12 or 13 plate with the newer engine in. Might be a safer bet.

also consider PCP on a newer car 13 or 14 plate comes with free services and 1 years warenty.

good luck,

J

Edited by CitigoCuti

Evasns Halshaw have a newer Estate with more miles.

Newer as in a 2013 CTHE is no less a gamble than a cheap CAVE IMO.

Free servicing at a None VW Group place is not worth the risk either IMO.

Asking prices are just that not what you need to pay, but if you want their finance you might need to pay pretty near it.

So you have cash money. Wonderful.

A new member joined to sell a vRS in the For Sales.  No idea about that. Green one. not high mileage.

You missed a great estate that Wardy just sold.

I might have a vRS for sale in a few weeks, but tempted to keep it.

Let me know if the White one has gone, but i will be there anyway.

Will let you know if i see any crackers.

So just on Autotrader a 13 plate red one in Musselburgh with a £7,000 asking,. 

then a £6,500 asking and 2 under £6,000 asking. 

Choices.  

The 24,000 miles in 5 months on the white one at Evan Halshaw would need the service record checked.

Edited by Awayoffski

Good to see some hold there prices, but some are getting ropey now there becoming affordable unfortunately.

Id like to think I can make mine last for a few years yet (60 plate CAVE 69k...)

Ive seen on the Seat Bocanegra Facebook pages (not the be all and end all of the knowledge of the TSI I realise!), that a lot of those are starting to need chains through stretching and waterpumps...

Similar thing on these I guess?

I bought a VRS privately last November, 62 plate, 28K miles... didn't do any research until I got the thing home... Read up about the Oil issue and immediately bought a skoda warranty online from Skoda...   After several visits to Citygate skoda, here in London, they have just put a new engine in my car... and assure me that there will no longer be any issues...  "They know, because they have done so many..." go figure...!!!

So I got 5 months of warranty left that I paid for and the new engine comes with a two year warranty from VW...

The only point of contention was that the warranty people refused to pay for the engine, so VW had to pay for the engine and the warranty people paid for the labour...  

Result or what!!!!

Should I be worrying... or can I be happy for a while...?  

Should I be getting rid of it now it has a new engine and warranty...?

Edited by bobster62
  • Like 1

Thanks bobster I will bear that in mind if I get any problems with the engine. Good to know you had a positive experience.

only problem I have is whining sound from the air con when switched on which changes pitch with the engine and a bulb failed light but all my bulbs are working.

VW Group have been supplying engines at their expense since 2013 when cars were out of Manufacturers Warranty and people had bought warranties from other providers.

Reason being the Known Issues, known by VW Group and not addressed just the CAVE engines discontinued, then CTHE introduced and stiil fundamental design, and manufacturing failures.

Imagine if VW Group were taken to court by Warranty Providers. 

So loads of kiddology from VW Group / Skoda, VW, Audi & SEAT and allowing some to suffer great losses while they play individuals along.

I went and saw it after work. It's a cave. Guy didn't seem to know anything about the engine issues suffered by fabias. Asked about extended warranty and such and said no pretty much along with lowering price. Haha dare say if push came to shove and I went in to purchase that would change. 

So PK61 KZC

Tidy enough looking.

Paint work on snout below grill needs paint tidied & some other touching up. 

New rear discs have been fitted in very recently like last few weeks.

Lip on front discs. But then the car has had 'Sporting Driving' i would think.....

Car clean inside apart from driver area but nothing bad just needing vacuum and some TLC. 

No 34F7 Sticker in boot showing the DSG Service Campaign as done. (maybe not needing it, needs checks.)

http://master.skoda-auto.com/mini-apps/recall-actions 

Gigaro are painted black, so no idea if they were Black, White, Silver or Dark Chrome Gigaro.

4 Tyres OK.

Never drove it.

Engine compartment not clean or tidy, so just like mine are.

Oil.

Very high when cold. Not looking like changed recently but could have been.

Quickly gets black anyway with these mileage of engines and with cold start short runs etc.

Looks like new VW OEM Silver Oil Filter fitted, but could just be a wiped clean one.

Best fit a Mahle filter anyway IMO. & 5w 40 FS VW502 00 so you know what is in.

I do not think worth £6,000 as there are better cars out there.

Known Service & Warranty History needs checked out, then what servicing happened between Nov 16 & April 2017 while covering 24,000 miles.

Were Spark Plugs changed, what is in? , that would need checked.

Engine looks to be the original, it has the correct date original orange sticker on it.

Personally i would not touch with someone else's barge pole.

@ £5,000 & with a Skoda Warranty i would risk it for a biscuit.

Dealers not going to move on asking price i would think, and seemingly there is interest.

Looks a cheap automatic for someone that knows nothing about them.

Nice Sales Staff.

PS.

Sorry i misread MOT History on site.

So no MOT done in 2016, so 24,000 miles are between October 2015 & March 2017.

But no MOT Between Oct 2016 & March 2017.

60,233 miles.

Edited by Awayoffski

You need to check if between being first registered and 3 years old in there was warranty claims for Oil Consumption Checks, then New Breather Pipe & Software Update.

**Ask SKODA if a DSG Service Campaign is outstanding on it.**

It looks like there might be a new belt on so maybe it has had a Water Pump recently.

No MOT between November and March but that is not unusual if off the road during the winter, or someone was trying to sell and it went to WBAC or the likes.

WBAC offer on it is £4,345.

So the Asking Price is what you might expect a Big Dealer to be after. 

(We can not move on that price.....)

You have to decide obviously but i have seen much nicer, even as new @ £6,000 vRS with one owner, or Ex Demo & one owner.

Edited by Awayoffski

you reckon they wont budge on price then? I did call skoda. No warranty work carried out. Bit of a punt, that being said I would feel way more comfy doing it with a skoda 12 month warranty.  Just on the skoda warranty... comprehensive cover or the named parts cover. cheers

• Like 1

You have done all you can when buying a Twincharger, check what you can, then when you get it service it so you know what oil & spark plugs are in and if you buy at a dealership and it proves faulty return it ASAP. 

If it is OK for the first 30 days then just be sure it has good Warranty Cover on major parts.

Enjoy road testing them. 

• Like 1

Update : my mate found a white 2011 vrs in Manchester at a dealer. One previous owner. Full Skoda service history. Called Skoda and has had all warranty work completed. Breather pipe and also gearbox update. £5844. Getting it for £5 after trading in. My mate test drove it and has fell in love with it. He owns a Cooper's S. So.... Guess I'm getting a VRS finally :)

• Like 2

So I finally got mine back from Skoda today. A days work turned into nearly a week as they were short staffed and I work retail hours. Breather mod and spray jets done and now I've been asked to drive 200 miles and take it back to see if it has cured my oil consumption.

Didnt think I would miss it as much as I did as a don't drive it hard very often but the 1.2tsi soon became tiresome and dull, apple care play was excellent though.

Hopefully the next test will be positive and mine gets the all clear.

• Like 1

So I pick up my VRS on sat. And will be driving it from Manchester to Glasgow. After speaking to Skoda they said it looks to be a good one that has bee. Well serviced and had the warranty work done. So my question is what should I be looking for or doing when I get it home ? Had one owner. And 60k miles. My gut tells me it will be ok. However just wanting extra reassurance. I must admit I'm excited to get.my hands on it. Will definitely miss my petrol drinking astra tho :( 

Gene pool how many miles has yours done. I take it you purchased extended warranty. Did you opt for named parts or comprehensive.

• Like 1

Have fun.

Set your own tyre pressures at the filling station and reset the TPS.

33 psi front and rear will do.

Tesco Momentum 99 to get home, Shell V-Power Nitro+ if you must, or 97 Super Unleaded if no options.

PS

Just to be sure before trip.

Dip the oil when cold & car on the flat, so before you start it.

Oil should be at top of the cross hatch, a little above on the flat bit is good, should not be up to the orange marker.

When home and oil cold next morning, dip again, same thing, hopefully oil where it was at in Manchester.

So when stone cold top of the Crosshatch.

Down the cross hatch too low when cold.

post-86161-0-06277400-1446204589.jpg

post-86161-0-17131500-1446204596.jpg

Edited by Awayoffski

Cheers. How do I reset the tps? Also is it worth noting where oil is before I set off? Also do you agree with my logic on the car awayofski? One owner, all warranty work done. And normal mileage. Indicates.to me it's been used as normal. With no periods off the road. And the one owner is reassuring. Hasn't been punted during those 60k miles. Or am I trying to convince myself? 

• Like 2

Having had Breather Mod and Software Update usually means it was using oil, or the Dealership advised preventative work.

It was Warranty, not Service Campaign.

Many had no issues after that.

TPMS button beside hand brake / charging socket.

Ignition on once tyre pressures done. Hold down the button, symbol comes up on dash and pings, job done.

Full component warranty for 12 months. Job Done.

Any issues in the first days, 4 weeks best find them.  

Edited by Awayoffski