The 280PS Thread

1 hour ago, ocddetailer said:

Picked up my 272 Sportline Plus Kombi last weekend but its been at the detailers all week!  I had the paintwork ceramic coated with G-techniq  Serum Ultra, plus the alloys, suspension and interior protected. Mike at Minutia Detailing did a great job correcting all the minor flaws in the paint too and took some pictures for me - which I've added to the post. Now looking forward to actually getting to drive it!

What have they been doing needing it for a week? It looks very nice with the arty shots :thumbup:

It was about 3 1/2 days as it was ready yesterday early afternoon.

Over the 3 and a bit days they did -  full decontamination, scratch / paint defect correction, Machine polish, Ceramic coating, exhaust tips, alloys and calipers coated, suspension coated, Interior coated,

Day 1: Vehicle is prepped, Placed on a scissor lift and masked up safely, wheels removed, defects noted and paint measurements taken. machine polishing started.

Day 2: Polishing continues and paint is prepped for ceramic coating and coated last thing, left to cure overnight,

Day 3 & 4: alloys coated along with suspension and under body treated with acf50 anti corrosion, interior cleaned and treated (leather and alcantara).
final touches such as glass, coat exhausts etc.

Plus taking quite a few pictures through each of the stages - which were put onto a USB stick for me.

15 minutes ago, Parmenion said:

Over the 3 and a bit days they did -  full decontamination, scratch / paint defect correction, Machine polish, Ceramic coating, exhaust tips, alloys and calipers coated, suspension coated, Interior coated,

Day 1: Vehicle is prepped, Placed on a scissor lift and masked up safely, wheels removed, defects noted and paint measurements taken. machine polishing started.

Day 2: Polishing continues and paint is prepped for ceramic coating and coated last thing, left to cure overnight,

Day 3 & 4: alloys coated along with suspension and under body treated with acf50 anti corrosion, interior cleaned and treated (leather and alcantara).

Plus taking quite a few pictures through each of the stages - which were put onto a USB stick for me.

Wow :) That must have been some defect removal for nigh on 2 days polishing,did they leave you some clear coat :D it does look good so happy days :thumbup: did you get a warranty with the serum?

33 minutes ago, Parmenion said:

I think you got that wrong: 

Day 1.  Take car to local Tesco for £7.95 special wash.

Days 2, 3 and 4: Watch entire {insert_Netflix_show} season NN boxset, whilst watching the lad on work experience taking photographs of the car 

Day 5.  Book a holiday with proceeds of '4 day detail' minus £7.95. 

Great looking car and in the best colour IMHO

• Haha 3

I hope not - I paid for 'Tesco Finest' shampoo with extra bubbles! He worked that apprentice lad hard too :

Seriously I have about 50+ photos of every blemish, scratch etc he found plus each stage of the work. Apparently  the dealer may have taken a dry shammy to some parts of the car after I asked for it not to be washed by them - hence the scratching on the boot lip. I won't show anymore pics as this isn't a detailing thread. I do also have pics of my digital dash if wanted although I imagine  they are also to be found elsewhere on the site?

IMG_2747.JPG

IMG_2725.JPG

IMG_2715.JPG

IMG_2710.JPG

IMG_2708.JPG

IMG_2707.JPG

IMG_2701.JPG

IMG_2698.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ocddetailer said:

Wow :) That must have been some defect removal for nigh on 2 days polishing,did they leave you some clear coat :D it does look good so happy days :thumbup: did you get a warranty with the serum?

Its 9 years for the crystal ultra serum although the detailer said realistically optimum effect  would be a couple of years less than that if its going to be left out in UK weather. To maintain it just needs pressure washing off the dirt, snow foam it, rinse and then apply a little bit of G-techniq detailer every 4-5 washes. 

Apparently if the car does get damaged I need to tell the body shop so they can remove the coating with a machine polisher before redoing the area. Some of his customers have then managed to get the ceramic coating put back on under their insurance when this has happened. A lot of his customers have super cars / classic collections so not sure if my policy is on the same level!  Hopefully I won't have to find out. 

7 minutes ago, Parmenion said:

Its 9 years for the crystal ultra serum although the detailer said realistically optimum effect  would be a couple of years less than that if its going to be left out in UK weather. To maintain it just needs pressure washing off the dirt, snow foam it, rinse and then apply a little bit of G-techniq detailer every 4-5 washes. 

Apparently if the car does get damaged I need to tell the body shop so they can remove the coating with a machine polisher before redoing the area. Some of his customers have then managed to get the ceramic coating put back on under their insurance when this has happened. A lot of his customers have super cars / classic collections so not sure if my policy is on the same level!  Hopefully I won't have to find out. 

I love these warranty's (lol)and please accept in no way am i having a go,your car looks great,you have done the right thing getting it protected.I just wish the manufactures of these product would just be honest.Like you say this isnt a detailing thread and i hope you enjoy your car,it's superb! literally :thumbup::thumbup:

1 minute ago, ocddetailer said:

I love these warranty's (lol)and please accept in no way am i having a go,your car looks great,you have done the right thing getting it protected.I just wish the manufactures of these product would just be honest.Like you say this isnt a detailing thread and i hope you enjoy your car,it's superb! literally :thumbup::thumbup:

Ps,the company who did this for you are correct,if you have body work done you need to tell them due to paint issues otherwise :thumbup:

4 minutes ago, ocddetailer said:

Thanks -  I must admit the pictures don't really do justice as to how good it looked inside the garage when I picked up (although of course it start raining here about two hours ago :( ). I know what you mean about the warranty although I'm not planning on keeping the car that long anyway, I appreciate the detailer being honest about his expectations around its performance  before I got the work done so it least it was an informed decision on my part.

I just need to justify taking it on a long drive somewhere over the weekend!

19 minutes ago, Parmenion said:

Thanks -  I must admit the pictures don't really do justice as to how good it looked inside the garage when I picked up (although of course it start raining here about two hours ago :( ). I know what you mean about the warranty although I'm not planning on keeping the car that long anyway, I appreciate the detailer being honest about his expectations around its performance  before I got the work done so it least it was an informed decision on my part.

I just need to justify taking it on a long drive somewhere over the weekend!

you need to check the coating causes less drag making the car faster :D

5 hours ago, Parmenion said:

Picked up my 272 Sportline Plus Kombi last weekend but its been at the detailers all week!  I had the paintwork ceramic coated with G-techniq  Serum Ultra, plus the alloys, suspension and interior protected. Mike at Minutia Detailing did a great job correcting all the minor flaws in the paint too and took some pictures for me - which I've added to the post. Now looking forward to actually getting to drive it!

IMG_2773.JPG

Looks stunning, can't wait to get my meteor grey 272 estate now

Did that on the way back from oicking it up. I had one of the car park car washers waving it at me - I thought I parked on of their reserved spaces. Then he just grinned and gave me a thumbs up. I'm not sure if he was just

1 hour ago, freelunch said:

Should be fairly nerve-wracking just taking the new motor to the local Sainsbury's!

appreciating the car or thought one of his mates had done a really amazing job!

• Like 1

@Parmenion how did all that cost you? I always fantasise about doing something like that to a brand new motor. Alas I only buy used being the tight ******. Still bought my current used car is younger than my last used car so it's an improvement. 

Who knows, maybe the next one :D

1 hour ago, freelunch said:

Should be fairly nerve-wracking just taking the new motor to the local Sainsbury's!

Yep - I remember how terrified I was taking mine anywhere I didn't know to start with. My advice would be to get over it quickly. It will get its share of road-rash / dings / marks, just as mine and everyone else's has, and however hard we try we can't change that. The detailer comments re fixing the ceramic coating are fine, but you could spend your life having the tiny marks fixed in order to keep a warranty that isn't really worth keeping. Don't - it will still look brilliant for the whole time you have it. Enjoy it. It looks great and if it's anything like mine then it will drive great as well:)

4 minutes ago, BriskodaJeff said:

Yep - I remember how terrified I was taking mine anywhere I didn't know to start with. My advice would be to get over it quickly. It will get its share of road-rash / dings / marks, just as mine and everyone else's has, and however hard we try we can't change that. The detailer comments re fixing the ceramic coating are fine, but you could spend your life having the tiny marks fixed in order to keep a warranty that isn't really worth keeping. Don't - it will still look brilliant for the whole time you have it. Enjoy it. It looks great and if it's anything like mine then it will drive great as well:)

Some things really can't be helped. Such as stone chips. Don't need to be tailgating , just unlucky and you'll get it. 

2 months in I got 2 wee chips on my windscreen just traveling along at less than 50mph on the A406 at a safe distance to car in front. Heard it and straight away found them. For a couple days I kept noticing them but now I don't. 

38 minutes ago, KeteCantek said:

@Parmenion how did all that cost you? I always fantasise about doing something like that to a brand new motor. Alas I only buy used being the tight ******. Still bought my current used car is younger than my last used car so it's an improvement. 

Who knows, maybe the next one :D

Its wasnt cheap as I had the works done but I saw it as an investment on keeping the paintwork decent on a brand new car (I usually get second hand car still about 3-6 months in warranty), and I had some cash back on the part exchange. I think most places I looked at quoted £500-600 for a basic ceramic package for superb sized car that goes up if you want the extra detailing (e.g. engine bay, interior, brakes disc and exhuast tips etc) or higher spec coating etc. That said I didnt go as far as getting the self healing film for stone chips.

I havent decided when I'll add a tuning box and if I'm going to tweak the suspension with ARB(s) and or lowering springs although Im not going to do anything that invalidates the warranty at this stage.

• Like 2

That grey looks awesome.  I need to look at doing something to protect my Black 280  even though it’s bought at 1 yr old.  

Trouble is I’m just coming out of 18 years on company cars which I didn’t give a monkeys about so wouldn’t where to start.  Time to get reading I think. 

12 hours ago, Leccy said:

That grey looks awesome.  I need to look at doing something to protect my Black 280  even though it’s bought at 1 yr old.  

Trouble is I’m just coming out of 18 years on company cars which I didn’t give a monkeys about so wouldn’t where to start.  Time to get reading I think. 

A clear bra/film would be good on the front for stone chips etc. 

Otherwise even good old wax will keep it in good nick if applied correctly and maintained. 

I use collinite 845. 2 applications per year works for me. In between can top up with spray wax to save time. 

• Like 1

300 miles into ownership and absolutely love the car. Stylish, fast, comfortable, spacious. A joy to drive and a cut above everything I've had before (which has included Audi, Alfa, VW & BMW). And I might be imagining it but it feels like the engine is more responsive and powerful than when I picked it up. Could this be the case having run it in for a few hundred miles or am I being daft?

Well our Business Grey 272 is now on these shores, and has a reg.  Looking like a couple of weeks still before pickup, and it'll be going practically straight in for a new car protection detail.  Getting quite exciting now, even tho it's the wife's not mine!

On 08/03/2019 at 12:19, Parmenion said:

IMG_2773.JPG

Lovely.  We toyed with Meteor for ours , even driving to multiple dealerships to compare!  Wife ultimately thought the Business Grey might be a bit more stealth

1 hour ago, Fantantonio said:

300 miles into ownership and absolutely love the car. Stylish, fast, comfortable, spacious. A joy to drive and a cut above everything I've had before (which has included Audi, Alfa, VW & BMW). And I might be imagining it but it feels like the engine is more responsive and powerful than when I picked it up. Could this be the case having run it in for a few hundred miles or am I being daft?

No, they do loosen up.  Mine, currently at 11K miles, certainly feels much more eager to rev and accelerate than it did in the first few months.  

On 08/03/2019 at 20:44, Parmenion said:

Its wasnt cheap as I had the works done but I saw it as an investment on keeping the paintwork decent on a brand new car (I usually get second hand car still about 3-6 months in warranty), and I had some cash back on the part exchange. I think most places I looked at quoted £500-600 for a basic ceramic package for superb sized car that goes up if you want the extra detailing (e.g. engine bay, interior, brakes disc and exhuast tips etc) or higher spec coating etc. That said I didnt go as far as getting the self healing film for stone chips.

I havent decided when I'll add a tuning box and if I'm going to tweak the suspension with ARB(s) and or lowering springs although Im not going to do anything that invalidates the warranty at this stage.

Car looks amazing and apart from the paintwork  you will probably have the cleanest brake calipers and rust free disc hubs ever seen on a Superb !! 

Edited by Boxerdog1

Hi - yes they were cleaned, polished and coated with ACF50 anti-corrosion along with the underbody and suspension - which is meant to last up to 2 years. The surrounding wheel arches were dressed.  All the alloys and exhausts and all other chrome parts were polished and sealed. The alloys I believe with Gtechniq wheel armour. All the rubber and UVPC parts have also been dressed with preservatives after correction (uvpc scratched) -  cant remember what product but I have a picture of it at home! Oh and two top coats of evo4 to the body work on top of the crystal serum to make it hydrophobic for 2 years (been very handy with all the rain this weekend). I think I might have gotten a little carried away ;) ......

2 hours ago, Parmenion said:

Hi - yes they were cleaned, polished and coated with ACF50 anti-corrosion along with the underbody and suspension - which is meant to last up to 2 years. The surrounding wheel arches were dressed.  All the alloys and exhausts and all other chrome parts were polished and sealed. The alloys I believe with Gtechniq wheel armour. All the rubber and UVPC parts have also been dressed with preservatives after correction (uvpc scratched) -  cant remember what product but I have a picture of it at home! Oh and two top coats of evo4 to the body work on top of the crystal serum to make it hydrophobic for 2 years (been very handy with all the rain this weekend). I think I might have gotten a little carried away ;) ......

Thought they had been cleaned up over and above 'new' condition . The brake disc hubs would almost definitely have had some light corrosion within days of leaving factory (it's a given on most stuff these days ) and calipers would have started acquiring some 'oxidisation' pretty soon !   I bought my most recent 280 at 3 months old with 800 miles on clock and cleaned up the aforementioned parts myself before applying ACF50 as protection ... only downside if a bit of brake dust acquisition but far more attractive than rusty brake hubs and oxidised calipers (well us fussy folk think so anyway ;))     Enjoy the motor by the way , probably the best combination of performance and practicality on market today , and certainly the nicest looking 'wagon'  out there .