What deals have people got - discounts, pcp, pch

51 minutes ago, Pesmog said:

I am looking to upgrade to a mk3 later this year.  What is interesting me at the moment is the significant reduction in prices on 12-18 month old diesel cars even those with low mileage. When I bought my current Superb new, after a load of research I rejected a nearly new purchase as there was a tiny gap between a year old car and new car with discount. At the moment I see that gap is a lot wider, and a dealer friend (another brand) tells me that the stories in the media about diesel sales falling is true. Seemingly this is being reflected in the price of nearly new diesel cars, which are apparently not so easy to shift as they were.  For me this means that provided there is no significant market change, that I will likely buy a low mileage nearly new car rather than order a new car.

It’s three things:

1) All PCPs are being revalued down because there are too many used cars;

2) Diesels in particular are taking a hit because of the particulate emissions row;

3) Car sales generally dropped last year, so part ex values will absorb part of that hit.

This is what I was told by two Skoda dealers while I negotiated the purchase of my new Superb against the return of a petrol PCP Octavia.

22 hours ago, MorrisOx said:

Strongly recommend the Carwow offers. Skoda’s car configurator lists a Superb 1.4 TSi DSG SE with metallic paint at £25,220, Carwow’s offers on PCP are coming in at £19,302 to £19,606 with 12 months’ tax (Carwow quote a headline saving of 23%, but when you take off the current £4k deposit contribution from Skoda, it’s actually a saving of  up to £1,918 or approx 9%).

Point to bear in mind is that the pre-January APR on finance of 4.9% has now gone up to 6.3%.

I managed to bag mine through Carwow on the old rate, the deal including metallic paint, year’s tax, and an allowance of just under £400 on my Octy after its PCP is paid off.

It's really odd but when I was trying to buy my car Carwow did not have any offers worth taking. Maybe it's because I live in the south but the dealers round here were miles away from the discount I got from Carfile.

In fact the local dealer said there had to be something wrong with the deal as he would make a loss at that price. He was wrong.

There are definite regional differences in pricing, whether you use Carwow or anyone else. I think the south does get it in the neck a bit on this, but there’s ways and means of shopping around and if you’re willing to travel you can get the same deals as anyone else.

Dealers will blow hot and cold about brokers depending on how badly they need the numbers. There was a difference of up to £1400 in the initial offers I had, though when the the high offers came down they did so in almost identical steps - so there is clear method to the way these deals work. No one went below the dealer who made the lowest initial offer, which suggests he needed the numbers most. With me, he got one of them!

9 hours ago, MorrisOx said:

There are definite regional differences in pricing, whether you use Carwow or anyone else. I think the south does get it in the neck a bit on this, but there’s ways and means of shopping around and if you’re willing to travel you can get the same deals as anyone else.

Yeah, I had to go to Mansfield to get mine!

1 minute ago, MorrisOx said:

Cripes...presumably they gave you a tank of fuel?!

No, just a very good deal. My lad ran me up and I really enjoyed the trip home. Was as fresh as a daisy when I got back.

I will travel anywhere on the mainland UK to buy a car if the deal is right. Travelling from near London I have purchased cars in Manchester, Doncaster, Newcastle and even Inverness over the years.

22 hours ago, MorrisOx said:

Dealers will blow hot and cold about brokers depending on how badly they need the numbers.

When I bought a BMW and mentioned I had looked on-line at brokers prices the salesman magically dropped their price to that of the brokers with no further input from me, Deal done.

When I bought the Leon the local dealers refused to offer any sort of discount thus bought from broker and saved £2000.

When the wife had her Note the local dealer was very close to the brokers price but when he could not get our preferred spec by the end of the 1/4 we actually got a better spec for the same price (no way was he letting us out the showroom), a cracking deal.

Superb was from Carfile.

• 2 weeks later...

We’ve been offered a superb estate 2.0 dsg in white with nav. 

Initially went in to quote against a 1.4? Petrol base model but this was a managers offer. 

£9 k off price, down to I think it was 18k. 2017 (physical button nav) does that sound a decent deal?

Brand new built to order in that spec from one of the broker sites gives about £24K as a marker for your deal. You dont say whether this is brand new/pre reg with what plate etc. I think the touch screen changed in May 17 so it could be a car from before then but I may be mistaken and it didn't change until Nov 17.

Dealer deals especially managers specials need careful consideration in most cases. Do some googling to see either what nearly new is out there or by going to a broker like CARWOW if looking for new (there are others available). You can then always use that info to 'deal' with your dealer. That is what many on here do. 

Good luck

p.s. there are two white colours; one is a flat white (not metallic paint) The flat white is a no cost option so I would check which one it is.

Edited by Sagalout
added p.s.

• 3 weeks later...

I got a 2018 se 1.4tsi  superb with rough road pack, spare wheel, heated nozzles, net programme front sensors and quartz  grey for £16974 plus my 2003 1.9tdi comfort.  Using skoda scrappage  deal (£4000 for a car I paid £3000 9 years ago lol) so £20974 without the trade in.  Think list price was a fraction under  £24k. Think I could of got the same price on a Pcp  but paid cash. 

20180123_112015.jpg

20180123_112010.jpg

Edited by magictongue

On ‎09‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 08:58, Pesmog said:

I will travel anywhere on the mainland UK to buy a car if the deal is right.

Me too. In my case from the South West to the Midlands this time. Saved by my reckoning £1,500 against comparable cars for the sake of £30 of fuel. Good deal as far as I am concerned (can't comment on PCP / PCH as I was paying cash). And yes - the dealer really wanted it off the forecourt. FWIW I paid £13.5k under list for a 6 month old car with under 7k miles. I suspect the click over to 67 plate helped a lot as they had just had the 67 demonstrators delivered and had no use for mine any more.

I'm just about to place an order for a Sportsline 220 TSI with a couple of options and CarWow was by far the best deal out there, approximately 24% off the list price (including the ongoing VWFS contribution). All three of my local dealerships couldn't and wouldn't get anywhere near the price and just spent their energy trying to buy me an in-stock car. I'm not suggesting its the be all and end al of car buying but I have found it to be a positive experience. 

1 hour ago, xman said:

24% of 31k is 7440.

I think Carfile.net can better that - over 8200 including Skoda 4000 finance incentive.

Out of interest just compared Carwow offers with what Car File comes up with. On  Sportline Combi 220ps spec I built Carwow was cheaper................

By £26.40 :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I obviously live in the wrong place as all the Carwow offers I got were pathetic and the lowest dealer offer wouldn't even get close to carfile saying it was wrong and there must be something wrong with the car etc.

It was a northern main dealer supplying a brand new car so I can only conclude that southern dealers expect a bigger margin!

• Like 1

I suspect deals will get even better through the year.

Falling market

Dealers have to shift  stock before Euro 6c/6d comes in June

Facelift announcement towards end of year, run out specials?

Pity I'll not be in the market for one.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a phone call from dealer and he has re calculated my finance on the new deal, first ordered in sept and was quoted £5000 deposit and £288 a month over 48 months and final payment of £10400 , new quote is now £287 a month but a reduction in deposit down to £4619 same final value and 2 free services chucked in, they did this off their own back,very impressed-with service so far,150 tdi dsg sportline hatch with heated seats,screen and nozzles, traffic sign recognition, spare wheel, high beam assist pick up this Saturday 

Hi all ,first reply on forum but I've been lurking for a while and found lots of useful info ,we've just ordered a 2.0 Tdi sel exce estate in brilliant metallic grey , PCH 6+ 35     15000 per yr  £325 pm ,

vw finance couldn't do better than £ 360 pm after wasting my time for a day messing around with odd cash back deals so went with select car leasing ,car hopefully arrives in 3 weeks  

At my local dealer (PM for more info if you like) I managed to get roughly £8.5k off a 190 DSG 4X4 Sportline (including the 4K deposit allowance)

It was one in stock (port) already, it was a bit of a compromise as didn't have an option I wanted, but it wasn't a major deal breaker.

To be honest using DTD you can get an A6 Avant in 190 DSG 4X4 for similar money if doing it on a PCP (higher residuals) but I personally don't like the Audi brand itself, it's a bit snobby and up it's own a**se for my liking - I've had some bad experiences with their overly snobby sales people, my old man had some terrible after sales support from them as well, plus I actually prefer the shape and SportLine trim, the interior on the Skoda is also simpler as well which I personally prefer.