Scout off road mode upgrade?

From what the blurb says, appears to be a physical button on the dash amongst the other gibbons - so guessing maybe not just a software thing. Would be nice to have it on our MY15 but i'm hoping with winter tyres and the on demand 4 wheel drive, we should be ok in possible snow on the roads around here without it, so not going to lose too much sleep over it...

ŠKODA Octavia Scout receives off-road mode

As a crossover-estate released in mid-2014, the ŠKODA Octavia has excellent handling also on poor roads; the model features powerful all-wheel drive and a rugged off-road look. The individual all-rounder is now even more versatile; from June 2015, the Octavia Scout will be available with an off-road mode. ŠKODA already offers this technology today in their compact SUV – the Yeti. 

How does it work? By pressing the 'off road' button on the dashboard, the driver can activate many useful functions that make manoeuvring in difficult terrain easier. This is primarily involved in setting off/traction, breaking and downhill driving. The off-road mode works at speeds up to 30 km/h. A green control light illuminates on the dashboard when in operation. The off-road function is automatically deactivated at speeds over 30 km/h and the green light goes out. 

The ASR off-road, EDS off-road and traction functions improve the acceleration and traction performance of the ŠKODA Octavia Scout. The ASR off-road traction control makes setting off easier especially on loose surfaces like gravel or pebbles. With the help of the electronic differential lock (EDL off-road), the force is distributed optimally over all four wheels even in difficult situations. The electronic traction aids uphill starts when driving in the mountains or when a trailer is attached.  This includes limiting the revs to 2500 rpm with your foot to the floor. When activated, the Hill Descent Control System makes braking downhill safer – both forward and reverse – on snowy or high-incline roads or steep slopes.

It's a mode alongside sport/normal/eco not a dedicated button. Once activated a hdc option becomes accessible via the car menu on the stereo.

So i'm guessing any cars already built won't have it? I'm looking at buying a scout, there are some available at port but i'm guessing they'll all be my15?

The Golf Alltrack has had it from day one, so wondered if it was being held back as a VW version only thing, obviously not.

Its probably that the Golf had to have it first. Cant let an Octy the shiny bits first :)

Just taken delivery of my Scout TDI 150PS. It was built in week 26 so has the MY2016 spec. As other have said it is not a new physical button but an extra option on the existing driving mode button but adds an extra "offroad" icon you can select. Looking at the detail when offroad is selected it puts steering into sport mode and engine into offroad mode.

would be interested to find out if this can be activated on MY16 non-scout 4x4s any ideas?

Or a MY14 ordinary 4x4, assuming it's simply software, not hardware?

Getting into firmware updates on cars to enable new functionality!

Which leads to poorly tested software, and then multiple patches to make new things work properly. Pessimistic? Me?

• 1 month later...

Anyone succeeded with "Off road mode" VCDS activation ? I have Scout MY 2016 with "Drive mode selection", but no "Off road mode" available. Unfortunately it appeared in Skoda configurator as free of charge option (with Drive mode selection), after my car was already ordered...

• 3 months later...

I should add my Scout is a MY16 Australian delivered car. I have successfully added tailgate closing with the key and console button, refuel amount, traffic sign recognition and high beam assist.

Personally I think it will need a few more controllers looking at than just 09. Whilst I don't think it will be impossible, the only way I can see to do it will be to compare a set of maps from one that has it to one that doesn't.

For something that could possibly mess up your stability control I would want to be sure I was activating the whole system correctly not just getting the extra button on the screen which may or may not do what you think.

I would like to have seen maps for most of it but it could have implications for 01, 02, 03, 22, 5f as well as 09

Thanks for the comment. Yep, i just had a look through both the coding and adaptation and the only controller i can see in addition to the central electrics is the ABS module. I am happy to send a full scan to anyone that has access to a car with off road mode for comparison.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sadly, we both dont have the mode. We need a member who has a Scout with off road mode to send us the 09 Central electric, 5F info, and 03 ABS adaptations maps. If anyone wants to help.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...