Windows 10 problem

slider

hi, I have upgraded my laptop to a few restarts before it stopped freezing but mostly ok now.

3 questions -

all windows open at full screen and I can reduced their size )but can minimise.

When I click on teh Task view button I son't have the option to create a new virtual desktop - any idea how I get this to work

The laptop starts up in tile view but I cants seem to find a way to get back to my desktop

I was told not to install windows 10 till December as there will be problems with drivers which would have been resolved by then

That is generally my plan with any Windows installation - wait until a couple of months have passed for any bugs to be ironed out and to see what the general feeling is about the installation (is it the next Vista ie a complete balls up out of the box which was only cured by the service pack a number of months later?)

• Like 2

Update went real smooth for me, but there's no driver for my gfx card so I can't actually run any of my games now :D

Probably best to wait a while unless you have a desperate reason to upgrade.

Wife has just updated her laptop from 8.1 to 10 but now when she puts in the password it just doesn't do anything. It's not saying incorrect password or anything. And of course it's all my bloody fault. :dull:

All sorted now.

Update went real smooth for me, but there's no driver for my gfx card so I can't actually run any of my games now :D

Probably best to wait a while unless you have a desperate reason to upgrade.

What GFX card do you have?

And does anyone know how to get Windows 10 to "Sleep". I've tried everything and it goes to sleep for a few seconds only to spring back into life within a few seconds!  :@

And does anyone know how to get Windows 10 to "Sleep". I've tried everything and it goes to sleep for a few seconds only to spring back into life within a few seconds!  :@

Sounds like a driver issue to me. All I can suggest is that you make sure all are correct and up to date as sleep works for me.

Hope you don't mind me piggy backing on your topic but I have Windows 10 running ok on my Laptop, I upgraded Win 7 First then did a fresh install from

usb boot image. Just a few niggles mainly Edge not working on a few webpages including briskoda. Im using Chrome at the minute but not a fan anyway

just one item in device manager that doesn't have a driver. can anyone tell from the pic what this is for? Laptop model is Sony Vaio VPCEH2P0E

as you can see toubled device is LPC controller any ideas is it important or can i ignore?

gallery_10577_1782_57019.jpg

Hope you don't mind me piggy backing on your topic but I have Windows 10 running ok on my Laptop, I upgraded Win 7 First then did a fresh install from

usb boot image. Just a few niggles mainly Edge not working on a few webpages including briskoda. Im using Chrome at the minute but not a fan anyway

just one item in device manager that doesn't have a driver. can anyone tell from the pic what this is for? Laptop model is Sony Vaio VPCEH2P0E

as you can see toubled device is LPC controller any ideas is it important or can i ignore?

Best way to find a likely driver is to click on 'details' and then select 'hardware IDs' in the drop down list. If you can post a picture of that then we can take a guess.

Best way to find a likely driver is to click on 'details' and then select 'hardware IDs' in the drop down list. If you can post a picture of that then we can take a guess.

Device ID's as requested

ACPI\VEN_SNY&DEV_5001
ACPI\SNY5001
*SNY5001

Pretty sure its Intel HM65 Express Chipset controller. It doesn't seam to be giving me any grief so far but would prefer to install driver anyway if someone can 
point me in right direction. I think the Win 8.1 should work fine until someone does a win10 version if they can be arsed.

What GFX card do you have?

I've got it installed on Boot Camp on my Macbook so I have a Radeon R9 M370X - managed to find the drivers through Apple now, so I'm back in business!

Device ID's as requested

ACPI\VEN_SNY&DEV_5001
ACPI\SNY5001
*SNY5001

Pretty sure its Intel HM65 Express Chipset controller. It doesn't seam to be giving me any grief so far but would prefer to install driver anyway if someone can 
point me in right direction. I think the Win 8.1 should work fine until someone does a win10 version if they can be arsed.

Seems to be a 'Sony Firmware Extension Parser' but I can't see an obvious driver listed on Sony's site. Here is a link and my best guess would be the 'VAIO Control Center' as that's most likely to have any proprietary stuff in it. Don't think I'd worry too much but it's always annoying having a single driverless device.

~Our laptop switched over without an issue.

But it's running a pretty basic setup of Windows, Office, Firefox and Chrome and not really anything else.

Even SWMBO hasn't screamed over the change which is the most shocking thing.

Going to leave the desktop until I have a disk to clone.

I'm running it on a Surface Pro 2, my desktop (i7) and a HP laptop.  Only issue is the surface isn't very good at staying asleep.  Seems to be a common(ish) problem, otherwise I'm liking it. :-)

The new start menu is better than the win 8 one, people need to adapt to change and not be haters.

I'm running it on a Surface Pro 2, my desktop (i7) and a HP laptop.  Only issue is the surface isn't very good at staying asleep.  Seems to be a common(ish) problem, otherwise I'm liking it. :-)

The new start menu is better than the win 8 one, people need to adapt to change and not be haters.

Yes I like the fact that the search is in the bar at the bottom left and you don't have to somehow magically hover over the sweet spot somewhere on the left hand side of your screen to open up a sub menu with search like Windows 8.1. Its much better.

Don't know if any of you used this feature before but in Win 8 I went into the tiles page and could just type something such as Control and it popped up with a list of programs on there such as control panel. Basically it searched the local computer for a result. Windows 7 does a similar thing when you have the start menu open.

Yep they've gone and changed it in Windows 10, now it searchs the windows app store.

Oh and I suffer the speed issues too.

Don't know if any of you used this feature before but in Win 8 I went into the tiles page and could just type something such as Control and it popped up with a list of programs on there such as control panel. Basically it searched the local computer for a result. Windows 7 does a similar thing when you have the start menu open.

Yep they've gone and changed it in Windows 10, now it searchs the windows app store.

Oh and I suffer the speed issues too.

Are using the search bar bottom left of your taskbar? only when I type 'paint' or 'notepad' for example it brings up the program like in windows 8. It might do the store aswell I haven't noticed because it prioritises installed programs so pushes them to the top and web entry's below. You might have to configure it.

I Like how it has a bit of 3D software installed for 3D printing. Type in 3D Builder its ok for free.

Well all I can say is in Windows 8 & 8.1 you switch to the tiles page and dont click just type such as notepad and brings up the program for you to click on. Windows 7 did a very similar thing. Windows 10 go into the new start menu/tiles page and start typing it searches the windows app store rather than the local computer. Might be an option you can change but pants that microsoft thing you'd want to download from their app store instead of using something on your pc.

Previously you have not need to click into any search box task bar or not.