VCDS options on Superb III

I just tried to put traffic sign recognition on with VCDS (using Octavia 3 guide)

(63) traffic_sign_recognition_0x21     on Superb it reads:

(63) -Locked menu contents-FB_NAV_6

DO NOT PERFORM ANY CODINGS ON 5F CONTROLLER OR YOU WILL LOSE MENUES.

Read this: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/374919-my16-mib2-coding/

And you are looking in the wrong part of the ad. channel structure.

Edited by mtl
  • Like 2

Don’t forget there are 3 different types of headlights now:

Halogen

Bi-Xenon

Bi-Xenon  with additional LED strips (in addition to the DRL LED’s - as in my Avatar) this option (smart light assist) is only £100 for the L&K but £900 for the SE / SE L

for me its worth paying the extra £100.

Certainly not worth paying the £900

Granted, but for me, this was another reason that only an L&K would suffice.

And for me, the £950 upgrade on my SEL Exec ordered also came with the Smart light assist, BSD and Lane Assist, which was very much worth it.

• Like 2

And for me, the £950 upgrade on my SEL Exec ordered also came with the Smart light assist, BSD and Lane Assist, which was very much worth it.

I am struggling to meet/justify the cost of my keeper car order spec, and looking to drop options!

1st to go will be towbar (it can at cost be retro fitted later in ownership), next the Canton (really want but £600 is £600), then there is the Smart light assist with lane assist and blind spot detection. It's a whopping £950 and looking like it could also go down the drain so i can afford to buy the thing in the first place.

I really like good lights as I do quite a bit of night driving and was hoping the Sportline would be up for order soon offered in a similar spec to the Octavia VRS I drive now. Pity it won't be avaliable until too late in 2016 for me asi hoped it would get rid of certain options I don't need like the electric boot etc.

What options would you drop from your dream keeper spec, mine being an SE L estate 2.0tdi as a starter?

I wasn't really bothered about any of the smart assist kit.

Lights... I can turn them to high beam by self thanks very much.

Lane assist... The day I need that to keep on the road is the day I hang up my license.

Park assist... Yup I can park ok myself thanks.

Blind spot detection... Good idea but I always look over my shoulder.

Canton.... I'm delighted with the standard sound as I was with the Scout so def not missing it.

Saved myself a good few quid their .... Explained to the Mrs that I could now buy that PS4, Xbox one and pc upgrade !

Another man maths fail unfortunately :-(

• Like 2

I am struggling to meet/justify the cost of my keeper car order spec, and looking to drop options!

1st to go will be towbar (it can at cost be retro fitted later in ownership), next the Canton (really want but £600 is £600), then there is the Smart light assist with lane assist and blind spot detection. It's a whopping £950 and looking like it could also go down the drain so i can afford to buy the thing in the first place.

I really like good lights as I do quite a bit of night driving and was hoping the Sportline would be up for order soon offered in a similar spec to the Octavia VRS I drive now. Pity it won't be avaliable until too late in 2016 for me asi hoped it would get rid of certain options I don't need like the electric boot etc.

What options would you drop from your dream keeper spec, mine being an SE L estate 2.0tdi as a starter?

Personally I would keep the tow bar if you are likely to use one as the way it swings down (and hides away) is a neat idea IMO.

Smart light assist looks nicer (with the additional 7 LED's) BSD... hopefully will never pay for itself! As for lane assist, not sure if that is a good idea TBH as people may be tempted to either drive tired or text etc.

What would I not pay extra for?

KESSY

Canton

Sunroof

4x4 ... costs too much in fuel

I personally spec a car the way I want it to be, if I can afford it then great, if I can't then I would rather wait until I can rather than then think 'I wish I had added...'

Just my 2p and it doesn't really help you to bring the cost down !!

• Like 2

What about VIM ?

Illegal (in the UK at least) and dangerous IMO, there are far too many people on the road who are not paying enough attention to what is going on around them without them watching the TV / DVD as well.

• Like 3

Illegal (in the UK at least) and dangerous IMO, there are far too many people on the road who are not paying enough attention to what is going on around them without them watching the TV / DVD as well.

Here here Gizmo68 one of them hit me. She is in court next February and no sympathy from those nearly killed.....

• Like 1

A really difficult one IMO but given your dilemma and you like the lights then I would keep the Smart light but it is a really expensive option if not having the £100 option available to L&K owners. I had the MKII Xenons and the lights were amazing and I believe the MKIII is superior.....Cant wait to try them as the dealer advised the smart light feature is a completely enhanced set up. No doubt once you have tried it then I guess it will be another one of those times in life when you feel you don't know how you managed without it....

Edited by reedfarmer
  • Like 1

Hmmmm, this is difficult but I'm sure with some sound logic it can be answered.

First and foremost, if you like good lights (especially for your night driving) then the SEL Exec comes as standard with Bi-Xenon headlights with the LED DRL strip. Yes you won't have the funky eyelash strips but in terms of lighting power the bi-xebon should be perfectly fine for you. Especially with AFS that these bi-xenon headlights come with to help on country twisties late at night.

Now with the assist functions, arguably, Nick is right - only the BSD serves a true purpose (let's not forget it also detects cars/movement from sides when reversing out of a parking bay - no matter how good one's eyes are - it can be difficult to spot a moped shooting down behind some parked cars with the chunky c-pillars of the Superb estate!)

Perhaps you can spec the Lane Assist with BSD to save a hundred for £850? But truly, without this (or the £950 Smart Light assist), your lighting needs will still be met. I personally LOVE tech, so any snazzy technology features like auto high beams, auto steering with ACC making traffic jams on the M25 with a DSG Box a breeze, and self parking a car so long coming from a Fabia (haha!) is a must spec for me when ordering such a new/up to date car!

Tow bar can be retrofitted yes, but seems like a ball ache in comparison to how slick the OEM version is. If you definitely need the tow, for a keeper car, I'd spec it.

Canton is again something you are right to skip out for cost cutting. Honestly. The stock sound systems in these new Skoda's are brilliant just like Nick says. Even my Fabia, which is a 2015 build and of course for the supermini reasonably priced segment, has a really punchy and enjoyable sound system. So the £600 won't necessarily be worth it as the sound should be great anyway (and that way, you won't quite know what you're missing).

KESSY can be skipped, agree with Gizmo.

Again, this is my opinion based on your described needs. Hope this helps?

• Like 1

I'm not asking what is legal or ilegall :) Just want to know is it already possible :)

Illegal yes, and not currently possible. Any coding at all on the MIB2 unit may cause you to lose system menus, and the only way back is to visit a dealer and have them reset the coding of the car. VCDS cannot yet code the MIB2 units correctly without messing up the configuration to the point that even enabling the menus you lost does not get them back.

Many thanks one and all, I am going to ditch the 19"s, Canton and possibly the Smart light assist as well. Towbar.... also likely but would replace it with Smart light assist if I do drop it. I do like it's flick out smoothness though, a very smart engineering solution which I appreciate.

Really annoyed that the Lane assist and BS detection can't be specced without a higher cost option such as light assist. BSD is something I do want as reversing out of tight spots is something we do quite often (previous Superb II experience). I always look over my shoulder now as in that car it could hide a the Titanic in its blind spot.

As for KESSY, no interest as it also opens car up for easier hacking. A friend has had both his Range Rover Sports pinched in a night. Somehow they harvested his Keyless codes and then fooled both cars into thinking the keys were present.

It was all caught on his home fitted CCTV, one car blinked, then the other, two hooded blokes walk up and get in, two cars driven off. They have yet to be recovered 5 mths later & both had trackers fitted.

Light assist and high beam assist, yes I can turn them on and off myself, but with the number of ppl still driving in Twilight hours with no lights on is getting scary as quite a few manufacturers dashboards are always illuminated which fools ppl into thinking their lights are on. Plus I like being lazy and still stay safe. I never had much luck with Main beam assist so not bothered about that, just want to cover my arse that one day I or SWMBO forgets to put the lights on and has an accident. Insurance nightmare ensues, no thank you.

Thank you for all your comments, I will see if I can convict the long haired general if a white Superb could be specced as that also shaves another £400ish off.

Options on any car are a personal thing and there will be much debate, but it's down to individuals at the end of the day and what is useful to you (or family).

Being on a budget (company car lease) I didn't spec any of the assistance systems and tend to agree with Nick_H on their usefulness. I wanted DSG this time round so that bumped up the costs and I just added paddles to go with the DSG; heated rear seats for the kids; KESSY and LED package.

These are the only options I added to the SE-L Executive - could have added more but it would have been adding them for the sake of it and bumping up my BIK.

• Like 1

Light assist and high beam assist, yes I can turn them on and off myself, but with the number of ppl still driving in Twilight hours with no lights on. Plus I like being lazy and still stay safe.

Thank you for all your comments

Glad that we could help. And just in case you didn't know - the SEL Execs come with "Auto lights" so even without speccing any form of Light Assist, your dips will automatically come on at night (as will the dips/DRLs when coming/leaving home). So if the safe laziness is what you like... Luckily you're already getting it with the SEL Exec! Only thing you'd need to do manually is flick on/off your high beams when necessary and (like these past few days in blightly) pull out the light switch to enable/disable the front and rear fogs. Every other lighting need will be automatically done for you by leaving it on the 'Auto' position on your SEL Exec. (including tunnel lights)

• Like 1

With regards dropping the towbar, it depends what you're using the towbar for as I believe speccing it at the start gives you an upgraded alternator & fan too.

Glad that we could help. And just in case you didn't know - the SEL Execs come with "Auto lights" so even without speccing any form of Light Assist, your dips will automatically come on at night (as will the dips/DRLs when coming/leaving home).

With regards dropping the towbar, it depends what you're using the towbar for as I believe speccing it at the start gives you an upgraded alternator & fan too.

I do not have a caravan, nor do I plan buying one. I was going to spec the towbar so I could put a bike carrier on it for when I eventually take my two son's mountain biking. Maybe I am getting ahead of myself though as they are still a bit young. Therefore I have decide not to spec it.

Smart light assist: is it literally just xenons which go to high beam on auto or is there something super duper about them? I had read that they put something in front of the lens to build a darker zone around a car in front or an approaching car so as not to blind them. I do not seem to be able to find anything on them now though which is very frustrating!

I would love to know if they work like that or what their enhanced function is over the standard Bi-xenons. Does anyone have them on their car now and can confirm this?

Cheers all

I do not have a , nor do I plan on buying one. I was going to spec it so I could put a bike carrier on it for when I eventually take my two son's mountain biking. Maybe I am getting ahead of myself though as they are still a bit young. Therefore I have decide not to spec it.

Smart light assist: is it literally just xenons which go to high beam on auto or is there something super duper about them? I had read that they put something in front of the lens to build a darker zone around a car in front or an approaching car so as not to blind them. I do not seem to be able to find anything on them now though which is very frustrating!

I would love to know if they work like that or what their enhanced function is over the standard Bi-xenons. Does anyone have them on their car now and can confirm this?

Cheers all

Yes I've got them and tried them but yet to be totally convinced they are worth the extra £950 on a non-L&K (if you don't feel the need for lane assist and BSD), but as it was a £100 option on my L&K I wasn't overly concerned and it did add additional lighting at the front.

The first push forward on the stalk engages Smart Light Assist and a main beam symbol appears in Maxidot with an "A" in it. A second push forward overrides it and switches on normal full main beam.

With Smart Light Assist active the main beam does not come on if you're in a lit area. This does seem dependent on ambient street lighting rather than speed limit as main beam won't come on in a 30 mph limit with street lighting, but will in an unlit 30 mph limit.

When it does go to main beam it doesn't "switch" but rather blends in the main beam. The effect is hard to describe but it does look "cool" - a bit like turning up the dimmer switch on a household light, I suppose.

The usual blue warning lamp then illuminates in the instrument cluster.

Using it on rural roads I do sometimes get cars flashing in advance on bends where the the light beams are visible, but the actual vehicle isn't. The beam lowers almost the second the vehicle comes into view.

Unfortunately, on occasion, the oncoming motorist seems to think in advance "If you won't dip your lights then I won't either".

Only once have I been flashed by an oncoming car on a straight, but I could see my offside beam was dipped for him and the nearside of the road was fully illuminated, so he shouldn't really have been affected.

I feel uncomfortable relying on Smart Light Assist when closing on a vehicle travelling the same direction ahead of me and switch it off, though to be fair I did forget about it once and when it occurred to me that I hadn't switched it off it had already dipped the lights, so maybe it's just lack of faith on my part.

The actual mechanics are motors that move the lamp - I assume the same or similar motors that also control auto-levelling and AFS.

Hope that helps!

• Like 2

Yes I've got them and tried them but yet to be totally convinced they are worth the extra £950 on a non-L&K (if you don't feel the need for lane assist and BSD), but as it was a £100 option on my L&K I wasn't overly concerned and it did add additional lighting at the front.

Only once have I been flashed by an oncoming car on a straight, but I could see my offside beam was dipped for him and the nearside of the road was fully illuminated, so he shouldn't really have been affected.

The actual mechanics are motors that move the lamp - I assume the same motors that also control auto-levelling and AFS.

Hope that helps!

That sounds like it operates in the same manner as High Beam Assist on my Octavia does, apart from the dipping of the offside main beam for passing cars.

I am mega annoyed that to get BSD and lane assist you have to pay a fortune it seems. The extra £100 for the lights is paltry hence why I want them.

A second thought, anyone know if any of these features can be switched on with VCDS at all? I had HBA switched on for me by A VCDS guru, so wondering if lane assist at least could be activated as I know BSD has extra hardware.

I am not getting my hopes up as I think the HBA could only be switched on in mine as I had the upgraded lame assist camera as standard! This Sucks now, I am getting depressed with my new Superb order.

Does anyone know if it's possible to turn off ALL the automatic switchings off the aircon recirculation via VCDS? is there somewhere that lists all the capabilities of this software for each model?

The functions I want to disable are turning off the flow of outside air when:

reversing

using washers

in traffic when emissions are detected

at max / min temperatures set on aircon

The one snag with my new L&K is this faulty recirc motor - apparently they want to remove the dashboard completely to fix it!!

I'd rather we just disabled the functionality rather than risk the work - just exploring options.