DSG v Manual

I'm torn between getting an Octavia Scout 4x4 manual or one with DSG. The manual has 150hp and the DSG 184 hp.

The DSG is a demonstrator with approx 3000 miles and the manual is new. The DSG is £1000 cheaper and a saving of about £5000 but the saving on the new one is about £2000

Not having had a DSG before which one should I go for?

• Like 1

It is a great disappointment to me that almost all VAG group vehicles with the higher power diesel engines and 4wd are DSG only.

It will severely limit my choices when I come to change my 170cr 4x4manual

Given your dilemma I would chose the 150hp

Edited by Bristolf2b

I'm torn between getting an Octavia Scout 4x4 manual or one with DSG. The manual has 150hp and the DSG 184 hp.

The DSG is a demonstrator with approx 3000 miles and the manual is new. The DSG is £1000 cheaper and a saving of about £5000 but the saving on the new one is about £2000

Not having had a DSG before which one should I go for?

Do you have the chance to drive them even for a short test drive?

Its very much personal preference but the DSG gearboxes I've driven in the past have all been pretty comfortable to drive.

The only reason I chose a manual was becuase 90% of my driving is on clear highways so couldnt justify paying 1500CHF more for the automatic.

I do loads of town driving and find the DSG is brilliant. I vowed I'd always have a manual but my consultant insisted I went for an "automatic" style gearbox... I wish I'd been told many years ago as I love the DSG. Even SWMBO who looked horrified when an automatic was suggested loves the DSG.

However at the end of the day my suggestion is drive both on the same day and you'll know which suits you best.

Ive had a diesel and turbo petrol DSG, the former a 6 speed wet clutch, the latter 7 speed dry.

I do like DSG but from my own experience I would say they work better with a turbo petrol....also both boxes have their relative pros and cons.

The wet box is smoother and been around longer so arguably going to be more reliable...but (in a diesel particularly) they suffer off the mark hesitancy also they do have a negative impact on efficiency (both CO2 output and fuel economy).

The dry box felt snappier in its shifts (maybe down to being in a petrol), less hesitant off the mark and definitely benefitted from the wider ratio spread...also on most variants it improves efficiency rather than worsening it.....that said it was noticeably less smooth at low speeds and longevity (given the number of faults and global action being taken by VAG) would be a worry.

Low speed smoothness was an issue with both boxes...less so in D mode as the box tended to set off in 2nd unless at an absolute standstill...also peforming manouevers on challenging gradiants (given one of the cars had no hill hold) was at times a case of crossing fingers and hoping you wouldnt hit ought (countless times both cars would either roll forwards or backwards when supposed to be in gear - usually on steeper inclines).

That said, on the turbo petrol it was alot of fun when on maximum attack....a bit playstation-like at times but it did mean you could just drive the car without worrying so much about gearchanges and made it easier to drive quickly.

I would have another DSG but probably only on a v high power turbo petrol (such as an S3, R or Cupra) as DSG does rather lend itself to such high performance....quick shifts likely making an already v quick cr that but quicker..more effortless and also you get those lovely exhaust cracks.

I wouldnt have DSG in a diesel or lower powered petrol car though unless I absolutely had need for an auto car.

• Like 3

I now own a DSG and have had all manuals before and still have two other manual vehicles including a Defender 90.

If you are doing 4x4 type work across fields etc I think the manual is more controllable IMHO.

More so when it comes to engine braking and feeding in the clutch but that's just my take on it.

Everyday driving the DSG is very nice and lazy but definitively lacks any of the control of a manual.

You need to take both out on a decent demo and use them where you will be doing your driving. Remember there are plenty of fish in the sea, lots of deals to be had so do not rush into it because that is today's deal ;)

Edited by Defenderben

I have my first car with auto now (dsg6 and 1.8tsi) and I havent missed a manual gearbox once.

It works great in normal traffic, both in town and highway driving. And it seems to tow great as well.

• Like 1

I have my first car with auto now (dsg6 and 1.8tsi) and I havent missed a manual gearbox once.

Same here!

I feel such a fool for having "suffered" manual for so many years...

I just can't fault the 1,8tsi + DSG + 4x4 combination.

If I hear anything bad said about DSG, I'm quite sure it must be either the 7-speed DSG or else it's been paired with a poor engine. :D

Same here!

I feel such a fool for having "suffered" manual for so many years...

I just can't fault the 1,8tsi + DSG + 4x4 combination.

If I hear anything bad said about DSG, I'm quite sure it must be either the 7-speed DSG or else it's been paired with a poor engine. :D

Ive driven autoboxes before that werent that convinsing. The 6speed found in Volvo xc60 is terrible. And the auto in my parents hyundai aint that good either.

But I love the DSG combined with a petrol turbo.

Ive driven autoboxes before that werent that convinsing. The 6speed found in Volvo xc60 is terrible. 

What year was the XC60?

I have a 64-plate Auto XC60 and, whilst I prefer the DSG, it's absolutely fine for daily driving - it reacts well from standing start (better than the DSG in fact) and is generally very smooth.

To be honest, they tend to get neglected in Volvo's and don't have the oil changed (it's not scheduled like the DSG), and my understanding is it makes a huge difference to the smoothness if the oil is changed regularly.

Yeah, the D4 is a bit sluggish - hence why I had the Polestar map put on mine - totally transforms the car, including the throttle response (this and the gearbox shifts are tuned with the map).

It's like a D5, but even better.  :)

Yeah, the D4 is a bit sluggish - hence why I had the Polestar map put on mine - totally transforms the car, including the throttle response (this and the gearbox shifts are tuned with the map).

It's like a D5, but even better. :)

I bet that did the trick :)

• Like 1

We've got both manual in the 150 scout and dsg in the vrs tdi... so can kinda speak on both in the oct3 at least.

In the real world (not track driving) its kind of exactly how you'd expect - the DSG is more relaxing for my A road and motorway traveling for work (and i wouldn't have the manual even in a higher premium motor, for the 30k miles per year i do in it), but the manual is more intuitive for the B roads we drive (around Dartmoor) at the weekend and the wife uses for getting into work - in this respect the DSG doesn't change up or down quick enough if you are giving it some beans. The DSG obviously has the paddles though but i've never really got used to them.

One point that has been missed in this thread is how well the DSG works in conjunction with ACC. I recently had to drive up the A303 to London. I set the controls for the heart of the sun.... Sorry! Set the speed to 70 on the dual carriageway bit and when we got to the end the car slowed down to 60 and then slower as the traffic in front slowed. Gently dropping down the gears and up again as the traffic sped up again.

As an experiment it worked very well, not sure how often I would use it in real life however.

• Like 3

Manual sucks on modern roads.

Auto (inc DSG) ftw.

Manuals work fine for the roads I drive on, autos just suck the fun, DSG just sucks

Well, perhaps a bit strong, but I just don't see the point in spending all the extra money, even on second hand cars there is a premium for DSG, on something that, for me, is of no value. When the manufacturers start forcing people in that direction because their vision excludes my requirements it is very disappointing. 9 of the last 10 vehicles I have owned have been VAG group cars, the last 6 4wd with manual gearboxes and powerful engines, yet this route is being closed to me, so I am having to look elsewhere

Edited by Bristolf2b

One point that has been missed in this thread is how well the DSG works in conjunction with ACC. I recently had to drive up the A303 to London. I set the controls for the heart of the sun.... Sorry! Set the speed to 70 on the dual carriageway bit and when we got to the end the car slowed down to 60 and then slower as the traffic in front slowed. Gently dropping down the gears and up again as the traffic sped up again.

As an experiment it worked very well, not sure how often I would use it in real life however.

Very good point!

I always use the ACC when going out of town. Its brilliant with Dsg.

Is a fair point but it is still excellent on a manual box.....only when you come down to a v low speed (where you would want to be taking control of a manual car anyway) or at risk of stalling will it disable and ask you to apply the brakes.

Its no hardship having to press the resume button once you start moving again.

That you can change gears without the ACC deactivating helps a great deal.

Manuals work fine for the roads I drive on, autos just suck the fun, DSG just sucks

Well, perhaps a bit strong, but I just don't see the point in spending all the extra money, even on second hand cars there is a premium for DSG, on something that, for me, is of no value. When the manufacturers start forcing people in that direction because their vision excludes my requirements it is very disappointing. 9 of the last 10 vehicles I have owned have been VAG group cars, the last 6 4wd with manual gearboxes and powerful engines, yet this route is being closed to me, so I am having to look elsewhere

I live in the south east and spend most of my time driving on overcrowded roads and motorways, I'd never consider a manual daily driver again. I keep manual for the fun weekend car.

• Like 1

Ive had a diesel and turbo petrol DSG, the former a 6 speed wet clutch, the latter 7 speed dry.

I do like DSG but from my own experience I would say they work better with a turbo petrol....also both boxes have their relative pros and cons.

Agree ^

My local dealer had a DSG VRS tdi MK2 Octy as a loan car so got to drive it a lot (unfortunately) and hated the dsg with the diesel , the power band is simply too narrow it takes too many shifts to drop into the power for a quick overtake imo

But having driven my mums Fabia VRS mk2 i loved the 7 speed so ordered one and had a happy three years with it before replacing it with a TSI MK3 Octy with dsg , the 6 speed dsg isnt as good as the 7 speed imo but there is no way I would go for a manual unless it was a diesel engine

Nothing wrong with the 6 speed manual though , had one in our Superb and it was excellent