Car forums in General - Briskoda is way above many

Chriswright03

Couple of things to start with.  First this is not about blowing smoke up anyone's rear and second wasn't sure where to put it so it is in here unless the Mods want to move it.

Having just bought a VW Golf and got rid of the Octavia VRS I thought I would look on a VW forum and see if I could get any tips that may be useful.  So have been looking at a couple and to be honest I have to say that I am appalled at what I have found. 

I will not name the one I have looked at as I think that is a little unfair and not sure Colin would want me to anyway as I don't want to start an inter forum war.  Suffice to say that the one I am looking at has threads in it that are so old they are growing beards!  OK we have loads here but over there you don't have to go very far down any page of threads before you are a couple of years out of date!  Also looking at new threads since you last logged on there are literally less than a handfull.

So while I was there I had a look round at the non specific areas.  I mean if I just looked at the Octavia 2004 - 2013 threads there might not be many new threads each day either but even in the general area there is hardly anything new at all.

I have been on other car forums in the past, Volvo and MX5 and they were far busier than the VW which considering how many people own VW and not just Golfs is amazing.

So in summary I think this forum is far better than what I have been looking at and you good folk should be proud that you have made it so.  I had already decided I was staying despite leaving the marque as I had seen many (Mods included) were not Skoda owners now so they must be staying for a good reason and now I know.

So massive :thumbup:  to everyone.

• Like 3

This is very true, I am a member on far too many forums to admit, but Briskoda is by far the freindliest and helpful forum going, yes we get a few attention seekers who just want to cause a ruck but they are few and far between.

I also like to think we moderate very fairly, fortunately this is down to the vast majority of the members never need moderating.

• Like 3

Having been a Mod on another non car related forum for a good few years (now inactive but still there) I can say that this place is kept in check remarkably well with a very light hand.  Of course there are always the odd ones that like to push buttons!

• Like 3

I used to be heavily involved with another car forum before I got the skoda and that particular forum was ran very well

However a new member appeared on the forum and was backed with loads of money and soon became very famous (not popular) just famous on the site

This is person was very loud, would openly slag off other members, would be hard going.

One national meet where every one was drinking he kicked off saying he could be a better area rep then everyone and could run the site better then everyone....

So the mods and the admin stepped down and he's been in charge now for about 2 years

The sites dead

No one arranges meets no ones posting everyone's still kissing his arse but all the old school people have left now

Very sad :(

• Like 1

Very well done to Colin D as it is a paragon of how it should be done and I am happy to support as a Freedom Member.

The main concern I have is Skoda as a brand.

It is no longer as distinctive as a stand a part value brand.

The price between buying Skoda and buying SEAT or VW is less or negative.

Also with no Fabia VRS and the Octavia 3 VRS not being quite the leap forward over the mark two and compare to the Cupras is disappointing.

And now with Dacia becoming the stand out value brand the Skoda thunder is well and truly undermined.

The Jaguar Forum is quite impressive with the downloading of the full Jaguar workshop technicians manual ie thousands of pages is very good.

Colin, wish you could do the same to the Dacia forum as you have to Skoda !!

• Like 1

I am on two of the main VW forums besides this one................

MK7 forum is the one you need for up to date advice on the MK7 golf..................

loads of stuff on ordinary golfs, GTI, R, racing street, track, mods etc..............I've written several "how-to" guides on there

Just the web format & the hosting of it is old compared to here..................

We are not worthy ColinD..................... :yes:

• Like 1

Mine being a convertible is a Mk6. There are other forums but I prefer to be on a UK one as some of the American stuff has no relevance to us here in the UK.  I appreciate that there are all countries on here but it is spot on with the content and level of help provided.

• Like 1

There are other forums but I prefer to be on a UK one as some of the American stuff has no relevance to us here in the UK.

Briskoda is "worldwide" just based in UK, I get what you mean though!

& MK6forum then.......................

I think the yanks are more into the Golfs & modding then we are here in the UK

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I used to spend a lot of time on here but it's changed since I joined and not for the better

I'm afraid. it's become an overly moderated forum with a distinct left wing agenda.

But if you stick to the 'party' line then I've noticed you can say more or less what you want. 

Any views contrary to this are usually removed by staff as it's easier to say something is 

'offensive' or 'aggressive' or 'sexist' or 'racist' or any other of the buzz words of the minute which

the left have adopted in their all inclusive mantra than it is to allow a discussion to evolve. 

Most of the moderators are really decent balanced people, and do a good job for which they get nothing

I could name names but I'll spare the blushes.

One or two are the type who get a kick from inflicting their will on others so much so that it must be their day

job too. This has had the effect of making on forum discussions one sided by shamelessly placating the

easily offended brigade, because of course their view is the only correct one. Impartial much?

Then there are others who use the forum for personal gain, enforcing rules about advertising things

or mentioning businesses left right and centre whilst using the forum to pimp their own financial

interests goods and services for free instead.

Wiping out the competition is a good business plan but it still smacks of double standards.  

Discussion is the entire point of fora, and this one has become so one sided that there is 

no discussion to have anymore without either biting your tongue so to speak and watering

down your point to such an extent it's almost null by your own hand so as not to cause 'offence'

to others, or it's removed when a handful of serial complainers complain. 

There are several threads running right now that I can't contribute to because I don't sing

from the correct hymn sheet to have my input considered as valid purely because it isn't

within the 'what we allow on the forum' remit. 

Certain events this year have ensured my 'Freedom' contributions will cease going forward, 

my financial contribution has been moderated to zero because I don't believe in the cause any

more, and I'll be damned if I'm going to pay so someone can censor me to fuel their own little 

power trip. It's a shame, but us members have our own back room via PM and I can assure 

you I'm not the only one who feels this way, nor am I the only one who won't be renewing freedom

as a result.  I'm not even sure Freedom is the right word to describe whatever it is that it represents

anymore. 

I wonder if this post will still be here in it's entirety or indeed at all tomorrow? 

• Like 1

Whilst I agree with a lot that grr666 has said I still think this is one of the best out there it's certainly one of the most populated.

I also use one of the pulsar forum quite regularly and I also love that one too. No where near as active as this one but the people on there are very helpful and friendly, not once have I been treated as an outsider or made to feel un welcomed and I don't think I've witnessed a single arguement since I've been on there. There's no swear filter because people don't swear at eachother and the moderators very rarely get involved because they don't need too, the only time being when some of the other guys from one of the other forums joins to stir things up.

I've been on Briskoda over five years now.

Not as long as many I know, but a fair old while.

It's always been one of the better car forums out there in my opinion.

For much of that time I considered it the best of the ones I use, but now I'd put the GTR register ahead of it because some how they have managed to get the balance between light moderation, no swear filter and members that can control themselves.

What Briskoda suffers with is the volume of people that use it.

What I mean is, it's a great forum and it has many great people on it.

But on something like the GTR register with maybe 100 regular posters, 1% of idiots is minor, get fed up and leave.

With far more people on here a similar percentage sees more people that I just don't get.

The fact that so many people hang around after they sell their Skoda speaks volumes.

More so that most of them do it for the company, events and feel of the forum rather than hanging around to shove whichever flash car they bought up the nose of people who they now see as having lesser cars.

Big fish little pond syndrome, AKA General Car Section.

I know some of my threads (mostly car project ones) are a bit out there and might be seen in the big fish little pond context, but this is exactly why I keep them in the Projects Section.

If you want to see them you can, otherwise they are easy to avoid.

With the way Skoda have taken the range, that being a lot of cars that look similar and a near removal of sporty models, I have absolutely no intention of buying a new Skoda again.  Game over.

They appear to want the fleet market and to sell sensible family cars.

Which isn't what I want.

My interests go beyond this and the model specific forums for the newer models I find lacking because really don't care about the new shape Yeti, Octavia mk3 or Fabia mk3.  Or what wheels, trim and colours look better.

Maybe like others my interest in Briskoda after being on here for a long time comes and goes.

But I expect I'll be around for a long time for the events and all the great car enthusiasts I've met on here.

• Like 1

Andy is right........PM's are far from secure...Be careful

Also be careful of confidentiality in there too

Pm's are secure.

Pm's become insecure when people don't click the right link in the email notification and they send the pm back too our webmaster address which Colin, John, Simon and myself can read at all times. Slip of the finger .... 

• Like 1

Pm's are secure.

Pm's become insecure when people don't click the right link in the email notification and they send the pm back too our webmaster address which Colin, John, Simon and myself can read at all times. Slip of the finger .... 

LOL...You would say that..LOL

From my experience, I don't believe that...with respect David

• Like 1

LOL...You would say that..LOL

From my experience, I don't believe that...with respect David

You clicked the wrong link. I told you at time what you did. No need to go rifling through PM's you sent it direct to us.