ADVICE ON BUYING A SKODA OCTAVIA FL VRS CR DIESEL

kiko1

Hi. Just wanted some advice of you guys too see if there is any issues with thr CR VRS diesel engines as I am looking to upgrade from my OCTAVIA VRS TFSI. Any issues with DPF at higher miles? Any other common problems. Many thanks.

Yeah I would have to agree. Now had 3 petrol vrs and a pd diesel and now a cr diesel. Petrol were a lot more fun and are a lot smoother to drive. I certainly miss the flexibility of the Tsi engine but when mine started having misfire problems which was never fully fixed I got rid

Make sure you do the mileage to warrant a diesel. Regular long runs will more than likely make sure you don't have any dpf/egr issues.

As for the downgrade, that's rubbish. Think how much money you'll save instead of stopping at the services every two minutes and they're just as much fun to drive.

Stopping at services every 2 minutes? You can easily get 40mpg out of the TFSI on a run

It doesnt matter how much cheaper it is per mile - if you dont do enough miles then it's not cheaper overall

Depends on the total mileage over the time you keep the car.  In 5 years at 8K miles per year diesel will provide a greater saving on fuel than 16K annually for 2 years.

Yet again some-one quotes the "40mpg out of the TFSI on a run".  My car has averaged over 44 OVERALL (calculated, not from the optimistic MFD) in more than 2 years/24K miles (nearer 52 "on a run").  However, my mileage has now dropped from its previous high of 14K/year to around 8K and my next car will probably be turbo-petrol.

In 5 years at 8K miles per year diesel will provide a greater saving on fuel than 16K annually for 2 years.

Don't forget that diesels are more expensive than petrols. Here in Latvia new 2.0 TDI Octavia costs ~3k EUR more than 1.4 TSI (same power). Economical driving starts only after some while...

Sure, the older the car, the less is the difference.

You can get 40mpg out of a TFSI but I certainly wouldn't say it was all that easy.

I could get 38-40 on my 18 mile commute but that was on very favourable 60mph roads.

And it's a downgrade, deffo :x

To be fair I dont warrant the miles to get a diesel. My work is only 3 miles away so petrol would be the obvious option but I've not heard good reviews on the vrs tsi engines as they are prone to failures. Thats the only reason I am looking at a CR Diesel vrs.

Mine does 40mpg on a run at 75-80 without trying, its remapped though which may help

My average is low 30s - the real world cost difference between 32mpg and 44mpg is actually not that great - until you get up to 15-20k per year sort of mileage

Edited by iaind1

Is there much point? Seems you're going to pay alot of money for a side step from what you have now.

Well I wouldn't say its a side step as I prefer the looks of the facelift and also they tend to come with abit more kit aswell.

To be fair I dont warrant the miles to get a diesel. My work is only 3 miles away so petrol would be the obvious option but I've not heard good reviews on the vrs tsi engines as they are prone to failures. Thats the only reason I am looking at a CR Diesel vrs.

Unless you're doing longer journeys in evenings or weekends a 3 mile commute isn't going to warrant a diesel and is likely going to result in DPF issues. I have a 2 mile commute to work and my TSI rarely reaches temperature.

I'd say keep what you have or if you want a facelift then get the TSI. Probably able to buy a newer, lower mileage one for the same price as a TDI, or able to buy for less. AFAIK the main issue with the TSI engine is the timing chain tensioner. If you're concerned about it too much, get it replaced for roughly the same price as a cambelt change on the diesel (though unlike the cambelt change, it only needs doing once) and you're sorted.

I would say stick to petrol because of your 3 mile trip to work. My commute to work is about the same and the car really doesn't like it at all. As i also do 12 hour shifts it's not getting warm enough both going and coming. Then i find myself taking the car for a drive on my days off to either carry out a regen or to get the dpf light off. The car is dictating and i don't feel like I've progressed at all. I've never got the best possible mpg either due to short journeys. I'll be switching back to petrol soon enough and unless my mileage increases can't see me owning another diesel. Lovely on long trips mind but the petrol is a nicer drive imho.

Unless you're doing longer journeys in evenings or weekends a 3 mile commute isn't going to warrant a diesel and is likely going to result in DPF issues. I have a 2 mile commute to work and my TSI rarely reaches temperature.

I'd say keep what you have or if you want a facelift then get the TSI. Probably able to buy a newer, lower mileage one for the same price as a TDI, or able to buy for less. AFAIK the main issue with the TSI engine is the timing chain tensioner. If you're concerned about it too much, get it replaced for roughly the same price as a cambelt change on the diesel (though unlike the cambelt change, it only needs doing once) and you're sorted.

Ok. I didn't know you could replace the timing chain on the tsi engines. Yes from all the info you guys are giving petrol would be the better option. What is the tsi like on oil consumption?

Ok. I didn't know you could replace the timing chain on the tsi engines. Yes from all the info you guys are giving petrol would be the better option. What is the tsi like on oil consumption?

I've topped mine up by 0.5L in 2500 miles (assuming it was at the same point. I think the VAG official amount is 0.5L per 1000 miles, so at least it's not that bad. The top up bottles (1L) are about 11 quid, but you could always buy a bigger bottle (4L) for around 35 quid and decant into something smaller.

I've topped mine up by 0.5L in 2500 miles (assuming it was at the same point. I think the VAG official amount is 0.5L per 1000 miles, so at least it's not that bad. The top up bottles (1L) are about 11 quid, but you could always buy a bigger bottle (4L) for around 35 quid and decant into something smaller.

Where's the best place to get the oil from? 

Thanks

It's just the tensioner that would need changing if you were worried about it, though IIRC it's mainly the earlier facelift models that had tensioner failures. At 3 miles each trip you'd be asking for trouble getting a diesel as it wouldn't be able to complete its regen cycles so would eventually go into limp mode which would mean going to the dealer or someone with VCDS (and that's from someone who has 1...mines been 100% TBF but I do more than 3 miles on every trip). Go for the petrol, especially with the current issue with the tdi 1.6 and 2L emissions scandal going on as we don't know what VW will be proposing to do about it. if they want to detune mine to get it through the emissions test I'm going to be 1 p1ssed of Skoda owner who'll be looking for them to buy it back

I've bought my 1L top up from Amazon as the 5w30 edge bottles have been on lightning deals a lot lately at £11.58, get free delivery as a prime member too.

4L bottles can also be found for £33.81 too at the minute, and being over £20 would mean free delivery for none prime members too. When I've used my 1L I'm going to just refill it from the 4L and keep in the car.

Any issues with the CR VRS diesel engines? Any other common problems? Apart from the small matter of the defeat device potentially being fitted, absolutely none whatsoever. And this from a current CR VRS diesel owner. If I was in your position, I'd hang fire until this whole sorry saga reaches some conclusion, if it ever does.