VW UK Action plan for EA 189 EU5 engines

ColinD

Looking at my rolling mpg figures, my last 2 fill ups have been about 2-3 mpg lower than the last 5 years tracker says.  Now I had a service just before these 2 fill ups!!!!  Did they do a software update that I did not know about??  I will wait and see what happens over next few fill ups and mpg!!!!

Interesting how many super offers are now coming through from Skoda.

Obviously busting a gut to keep current owners loyal to the brand.

I am very pleased with my Yeti but don't really want to go past the

warranty period in March. It has been superbly reliable since I bought

it but what to change it for. Cannot get excited about any of the current

Yetis as no different to what I have except a worse spec for more money!

May jump ship.

Interesting how many super offers are now coming through from Skoda.

Obviously busting a gut to keep current owners loyal to the brand.

I am very pleased with my Yeti but don't really want to go past the

warranty period in March. It has been superbly reliable since I bought

it but what to change it for. Cannot get excited about any of the current

Yetis as no different to what I have except a worse spec for more money!

May jump ship.

Qashqui, best of British.

Re Freedom comments re fuel etc.  I have looked back and as far as I can see similar mileage.  Running 5 average last year was about 43.2, this year same figure is 40.5.  So draw what you want from this.  All I know is that my mpg is coming down and so costing me more!

And factor in more use of all the electricals in winter, plus the cold makes oils draggier and tyres stiffer, so higher rolling resistance, also someone on here reckoned "winter grade" diesel contains some naptha to prevent waxing up, so slightly less "fuel" per gallon?

I log tank-full to tank-full in a notebook, always drops in winter; last summer my best average was 68mpg, several at 65, but recent fill-up down to 61 and-a-bit.

And if you have set your tyre pressures on a mild day, but then we get a cold snap, you really need to check and re-inflate your tyres, as they will have dropped a significant amount.

HTH

Richard

Wow, I really can't believe anyone can be that obsessed with mpg. It must be a hobby of retired folks

that I do not have thank god. Must be bigger fish to fry than worry about nitty gritty changes in mpg!

I suggest you run an R32 for a few years and you'll never worry about mpg again.

• Like 1

Don't wish to sound flippant but I agree with you to a point. I bought my diesel

Yeti because the petrol 1.2 version just sounded too underpowered to consider

after my R32.

Diesel torque is definitely a good selling point but the smoothness of a petrol

engine is wonderful after a diesel. I remember getting the R32 after a BMW 330d

and thinking thank god I got rid of that diesel!

What next is a big problem.

Torque, per se, is over-rated, and what is more important is amount of power available at revs and the 1.8 TSI (160hp version) has a much better ie plateau power at revs than the 170 hp diesel and hence it is one of the main reason it goes through the 0-60 faster than the more powerful diesel. (also moments of inertia and weight are factors).

Fuel consumption is better in the diesels because the compression ratio is higher (http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/thermo/carnot.html).

Unfortunately at these higher temperatures ie higher T2, that is where the NOX is produced.    

Edited by lol-lol

Hi All, yes I do look at mpg - that’s me!  I see that the new Autocar states that VW will not give any UK compensation, saying that UK consumers will not suffer any loss, but then, at long last talk about the possible impact of the remap.  Autocar say that any remap will have to increase temperature and so adversely effect mpg, just as everyone has said and so there will be an effect and so loss.  The physics have to happen!  So yet again, if my mpg (hence my interest) goes down what will I get in compensation!!  Think a change to a petrol car is on the cards - specially at these prices!

The Which magazine I received today has an article on emissions and their conclusion is that 95% of diesels exceed the NOX limits with many not even achieving Euro 1 levels let alone Euro 5 or 6..

Which measure real world levels based on their own long term car tests

Specific cars they listed include, Jeep, Subaru, Nissan, Kia, Hyundai, Range Rover, Volvo, and even a Hybrid Peugeot only just achieved EURO 3 levels

Many Petrols are also well above the permitted NOX levels and a lot of Petrol cars CO levels do not meet Euro 1 levels 

Most of this is linked to the levels measured in the standard EU test, which all manufacturers have to use which are also responsible for the normally unrealistic/achievable mpg figures

I expect their report will be covered in the national press soon. 

The others have not been forced to hold their hands up yet,

Just the Volkswagen Group with 11 Million Vehicles World Wide and Renault Recalling 15,000 Diesel Captur.

So hopefully the Volkswagen Group have time to show a variety of theirs 1.2, 1.6 and 2.0 TDI before the fix and after the fix and how there are no changes to the vehicle on road before and after 'The Fix'..

Seems Simple, and Skoda like 'Simply Clever',  so they just need to do the tests, film them and publish online.

Not difficult really, 

they say 'the fix' is easy in the EU / UK, so just put that online, Power and Economy not adversely affected and the Emissions as were or lower with the Defeat Device Deleted.

Edited by GoneOffskiroottoot
  • Like 1

So thanks re the Audi and Seat CO2 changes, what about Skoda then!  As I said before I bought my Octavia vRS as it came in under 160 at 159grams.  Now if this is all wrong then !!!!!!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just booked the Yeti in for its annual service and no mention of any software update going to be applied. Hopefully it won't be done without my knowing!!!!

There isn't a software fix available yet.

I know but it must be due out soon, and the car is not booked in until 25th Feb! It could be out by then but I hope not!