VW UK Action plan for EA 189 EU5 engines

ColinD

Every section of Briskoda that has models with Euro 5 1,2,1,6 & 2.0TDI affected by having a Defeat Device in the ECU has threads / posts on peoples experience.

So that is, Mk2 Fabia, Roomster, Rapid, Mk2 Octavia, Mk2 Superb & Yeti, then General Maintenance, General Car Chat & there are Pinned threads around the forum.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/434714-emissions-fix-and-rip-off-britain 

Edited by Awayoffski

Just received the letter for my Superb Greenline. Maybe I'm gullible, but I'll get the fix done and for the time being trust them when they say that mpg and performance will not be affected. Watch this space!

• Like 1

Hi All,

Just followed the Awayoffski link and read this from The Hood

The fix appears to alter the injector pattern lowering the combustion temperature. This reduces the low end torque, uses slightly more fuel, and produces more soot. This soot puts more strain on the EGR and DPF and causes more regenerations by the DPF so an increased tick over and fans running on after turning off the engine may be noticed. With a low mileage or fairly new vehicle there may not be an immediate problem but the EGR and DPF have a finite "life" and the fix appears to reduce this, so even if you have had the fix carried out and currently notice no change, it could prove otherwise later on, either before or after you sell the vehicle on.

That is a real and good explanation to me.  The Hood is asking for more detail and on the link you will see the replies!!!!!!!!!

I never had my Octavia 2.0 VRS tdi done but drove my brothers car who'd had his, same as mine just 6 months newer. Driven back to back with mine and the difference was obvious as his felt gutless until it was doing around 2500rpm, it was like turbo lag from old cars but without the mad rush when it did spool up. He's taken his back to the dealers a few times now with no joy, just wasting more of his time.  He had bought his car for towing a caravan which he won't do with the car now as it's too much hard work.

Mine was part ex'd at the start of the year and good riddance to it.

4 hours ago, Sullyman said:

Hi All,

Just followed the Awayoffski link and read this from The Hood

The fix appears to alter the injector pattern lowering the combustion temperature. This reduces the low end torque, uses slightly more fuel, and produces more soot. This soot puts more strain on the EGR and DPF and causes more regenerations by the DPF so an increased tick over and fans running on after turning off the engine may be noticed. With a low mileage or fairly new vehicle there may not be an immediate problem but the EGR and DPF have a finite "life" and the fix appears to reduce this, so even if you have had the fix carried out and currently notice no change, it could prove otherwise later on, either before or after you sell the vehicle on.

That is a real and good explanation to me.  The Hood is asking for more detail and on the link you will see the replies!!!!!!!!!

That's only one of two changes I would expect to have been made. The other being an increase in flow rate through the EGR system, this would reduce the amount of 'spare' oxygen in the combustion chamber, reducing the tendency of nitrogen to be oxidised to NOx (and the peak temperatures, with the same effect).  This is the primary purpose of the EGR system on a diesel, so it would be odd if its use wasn't increased by 'the fix'.  Higher EGR rates produces more soot, and less power. I think rather than soot putting strain on the EGR (which it might long-term, but only by gradual blocking of it), the increased activity level of the EGR valve is what may cause it to suffer.

Ta Wino, so really this all means to me that the engine was not designed for this remap.  My car has done 138k miles now so ripe for a EGR or DPF fault it seems to me.  Getting near the 155k that seems to be the figure talked about by VW/Skoda for used cars whereby they will offer a warranty.  Any warranty for me would loast maybe 3 months then ££££££££ through no fault of mine.  So again, not covered  by my purchased warranty, little cover from VW/Skoda so no thnaks I will stick where I am and think of changing the car!

Hi Bignij, no not that I have seen.  The fix is optional, not a safety thing nor a real recall, so it is left  to each person to decide - this is how I see it.

Only comment is, that if you do not tell your dealer you do not want the fix, they will simply apply it at your next service or repair as a matter of course - watch out!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Sullyman said:

Hi Bignij, no not that I have seen.  The fix is optional, not a safety thing nor a real recall, so it is left  to each person to decide - this is how I see it.

Only comment is, that if you do not tell your dealer you do not want the fix, they will simply apply it at your next service or repair as a matter of course - watch out!

The dealer won't/shouldn't do this as there are some things they need to know before actually doing the update (Remap etc). Getting permission is a big thing and a necessity.

No you don't have to have it done, most annoying bit will be the continuous reminder letters.

Edited by AJ7788
  • Like 1

My Octavia wasn't affected. Until I knew I was adamant that I wouldn't have it done. I  was getting mid-50s mpg and mid-60s on a good run. Why would you want to change that? Anyhow it's hypothetical now, I've got a new Kodiaq. :)

3 minutes ago, Awayoffski said:

The 'DVLA' do not send the letters,  the Volkswagen Group UK send letters with the DVLA mark on them.

Yeah that's right, sorry. 

*Corrected

Edited by AJ7788
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It looks as though its on Watchdog this Wed at 8pm -

Episode 3

Watchdog, Series 38 Episode 3 of 6

The team meet people whose vehicles have suddenly lost power in the middle of the road and ask if one car giant's efforts to fix a problem are creating a more worrying concern.

So the EA189 update was done on my car today.  On the 12 mile drive home I noticed no difference, but I will monitor performance and economy for a reasonable time.  Interestingly the service desk at my local Skoda agent told me that the people who are experiencing problems following the fix are those who have remapped their engines, either before or after the fix was done.  An interesting statement, is there anyone out there who has had problems following the fix but has never done a remap?  I will be watching tomorrow's Watchdog with interest!

Very odd that people who have had Remaps would be putting a car in to get 'The Fix', but then people can have bought a used car and not know it was previously mapped.

A new member just posted in the Defeat Device removal thread and he had to get a Remap after 'The Fix' as others are doing to get a usable vehicle because 

VW have no 'Fix' for thew faulty 'Fix'. Yet!

I have never in all my trawling's heard that one re "only remapped cars are effected"  This is a Red Herring - sorry for the pun!!  

As you say, come on anyone who has had the fix - did you have a remap before!!

Engine was not designed for defeat device fix and so engines or parts will fail is my view.

One week on from "the fix" and I've noticed very little difference. 370 miles covered and mpg seems comparable to pre-fix. Perhaps a little more "throaty" engine note, perhaps a little less pull accelerating from very low revs, one incident of a "cough" on acceleration, but all this only noticeable because I've been on the look out for any differences. Nothing that concerns me so far, but we'll see what the future holds!

• Like 1

Hi 05surveyor, ta for this running update - it is good to see a real world view.  I have worked out that most of my driving, aside from start off and acceleration is between 1,500 and 2,500 revs.  Now if this is where the revised map, reduces power (people and articles say below 2500, odd that torque was 1750 to 2500!!) then I will find my driving affected.  BTW I have a running average of 43.3 MPG - now done 140k miles.  Lets see what happens.  Ta again.

Just to expand on my earlier post, average mpg on the car computer was 61.4 before the "fix".  On a 180 mile trip last week, some of it in slow moving traffic, the car did 62mpg.  Current average is showing as 59mpg, but not a really significant mileage yet.  Still monitoring.

36 minutes ago, 05surveyor said:

Just to expand on my earlier post, average mpg on the car computer was 61.4 before the "fix".  On a 180 mile trip last week, some of it in slow moving traffic, the car did 62mpg.  Current average is showing as 59mpg, but not a really significant mileage yet.  Still monitoring.

Really need to use a manual calculation to compare the MPG and the recent hot weather will have high effect on your MPG too.