Real World MPG figures

After another little drive this afternoon, I managed to eke 700 miles from a single tank. 

I'm quite pleased with that  :clap:

post-6717-0-30262600-1463146782_thumb.jpg

And I'm still sorry about the dust.....gloss black just loves the dust. 

• Like 1

nice one..

Filled it up the other day, 43 miles all urban stop start school runs etc. (see duration time) . still 570 miles in the tank... Cars not been on a motorway either for last 100 plus miles.

20160513_203344_zpseq1av3ow.jpg

The 190 engine definitely has an eco trough at 80mph, I've found its as good at 90 as 70, but 80 it drops, probably because the engine is running at a more efficient speed at 90

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

The 190 engine definitely has an eco trough at 80mph, I've found its as good at 90 as 70, but 80 it drops, probably because the engine is running at a more efficient speed at 90

Defying basic physics.......they should patent it.......probably comes standard with a guaranteed tailwind also.

da8c68b366125738ce23bfc4659c767f.jpg

I've just pulled up in Newport Pagnell services, having left Redditch this morning. Steady 70 mostly ACC. So, it can be done! Journey home will be more spirited, so I'd expect that leg to drop to low 40s....

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

That's amazing...a good 20mpg better than my current S2 170 4x4 estate.

So what car are we looking at then?

Defying basic physics.......they should patent it.......probably comes standard with a guaranteed tailwind also.

Not as daft as it sounds, don't assume the engine efficiency is the same at all engine speeds. The difference in performance of the engine might be greater than the additional drag. Otherwise, crawling along at 2mph would be the most economical speed, it's not.

If you want to believe that

However seeing the public actually want economy at realistic speeds 99% of the time, I'd say the engine is an engineering failure.

Same here, just an observation. The gearing isn't optimised for cruising at 80 mph, which is surprising given that's roughly the speed limit across Europe. Ideally, the engine should be operating at a speed corresponding to maximum torque, as this is its most fuel efficient speed.

Kent to Devon and back at a total average over 430 miles of 55mpg. Going down to Devon using ACC most of the way I achieved 50mpg, coming back I drove and managed 60mpg indicated on Maxidot (so 1-0 to the human :-))  190 SE-L Exec Hatch

Kent to Devon and back at a total average over 430 miles of 55mpg. Going down to Devon using ACC most of the way I achieved 50mpg, coming back I drove and managed 60mpg indicated on Maxidot (so 1-0 to the human :-)) 190 SE-L Exec Hatch

I'm regularly getting 50+ over long journeys without really trying. Yesterday Preston to West Wales taking the cross country route and still managed 52.5. I rarely get into 6th gear on the trans mid Wales section, keeps the engine above 2k when accelerating between bends so it's quicker to get to cruising speed.

• Like 1

I'm regularly getting 50+ over long journeys without really trying. Yesterday Preston to West Wales taking the cross country route and still managed 52.5. I rarely get into 6th gear on the trans mid Wales section, keeps the engine above 2k when accelerating between bends so it's quicker to get to cruising speed.

Early 50s seems to be the default on reasonable journeys. I have less than 2000 miles on the car so far, so early days for experimenting with driving style :-)

Time for my next update. Weather has been mixed from freezing to almost 20 Celsius. That meant some mornings the Webasto was in use and on other days the use of the ventilation in the seating was a relief. Kept the car in ECO the majority of the time whilst driving to and from work.

This time round deliberately let the fuel gauge drop well into the red before refuelling. Was curious to know how much I could fill her up. So with the needle almost hitting the lower limit the amount of fuel in the tank could take us other 45km.

So how much fuel could be filled into the tank with the needle almost hitting the lower limit?

The answer: 68 litres.

There has been some talk on this forum as to the size of the tank. I wouldn’t presume to categorically say that I have a much larger tank than the 66 litres mentioned in the brochure but it does seem to be larger.

So filling the tank with 68 litres and having driven 881km from the last fill up has given an average of 7.72 l/100km (36.59 mpg).

Long term stats as shown in CAR:

Travel: 3292 km (2411 km)                                           Average speed: 43 km/h (43 km/h)

Travel time: 76:56 h (55:40)                                          Average fuel consumption: 7.8 l/100km or 36.23 mpg (7.9 l/100km or 35.76 mpg)

Since refuelling:

Travel: 881 km (878 km)                         Average speed: 42 km/h (54 km/h)

Travel time: 21:15 h (16:25 h)                 Average fuel consumption: 7.6 l/100km or 37.17 mpg (7.3 l/100km or 38.70 mpg)

(previous figures within brackets)

Here are some photos from the info display and CAR (looks like it is time to clear some of that dust :|)​

IMG 1333

IMG 1336

IMG 1337

• 3 weeks later...

I know this is not a physical measurement but the Maxi Dot should at least give you a relative indication that you can compare against.

Now at 6k miles and latest long term avg consumption 99 hours driving was 55.5mpg in 150 DSG Hatch

We had a go at seeing what economy I could get, went from Lincolnshire to Milton Keynes today, a mixture of some narrow lanes, single carriageways and dual carriageways. Didn't drive real slow just went steady doing about 65-70 on the A1. I would of got better but the car did a regen while on the journey but even so I was impressed at 72.6 mpg!

post-138130-0-90614400-1466109527_thumb.jpeg

I'm sure we are now well out of the Winter Diesel fuel period, and there has been absolutely no difference in the mpg on my 190DSG 4x4. It's still just about clearing 43mpg with 9,500 miles on it now. I can get individual short journeys on level roads at around 50mph to give in the high 50's but the long term and tank to tank averages are still 43.n, well short of the published 'official' data for mixed road driving.

Mine has improved a bit since passing 2500 miles.  Currently seeing an average on the computer of 38/39mpg which is 6/7mpg down on what the brochure says is the combined figure.  I do know that I am looking at about an extra 70+ miles from the tank this time compared to previously.

• Like 1

Mine has improved a bit since passing 2500 miles. Currently seeing an average on the computer of 38/39mpg which is 6/7mpg down on what the brochure says is the combined figure. I do know that I am looking at about an extra 70+ miles from the tank this time compared to previously.

Mine is improving now too, I'm just a hair under 2k miles. We're seeing about 31/32 mpg over a tank, but that's many local trips from cold. It easily does late 30s/early 40s once warmed up now, though I have consistently noted that VPower definitely returns higher mpg overall. Costco Super 97 is still working out slightly cheaper per mile but it's definitely at its best on the full fat stuff. I'm gonna try M99 from a different station next time.

• 2 weeks later...