Real World MPG figures

Just back from a jaunt to the mountains of Austrian Tyrol area. Drove down thru France using autoroutes. Drove back up the A7 and A8 to Karlsruhe on the German side before dropping back into France. That was a big mistake; more roadworks, incidents and queues than the M25 on a Monday morning.

Just SWMBO and myself with luggage for 10 days. Car coped well and both of us remarked on how comfortable it was on long journeys. (Remember she drives an S type Jag)

Despite a couple of 400 mile days we were not crumpled at the end of the day.

Driving sensibly never above speed limits wherever we went.

That Journey included several mountain passes and a few very minor alpine roads above 4000 feet.

Traffic queues heavy on return journey thru Germany and again on the M25 and M3 back this side.

Piccie of the maxidot when we got home shows 55mpg over 2100 miles. I will take that as pretty good going for a large, comfortable estate car.

post-135461-0-10231200-1468251390_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

So, I've just got back from Germany, did a total of 904 miles with an average speed of 44mph and an average fuel consumption of 33.0 mpg although that doesn't tell the whole story as we had over an hour of stop/start traffic due to road works and rush hour traffic on our 1st day and over an hour today queuing for road works on the E40 and at least 45-minutes stopped on the A16 due to some French Industrial action by Port Workers who shut the slip to the Eurotunnel exit causing absolute chaos in the process.

My average before I left the hotel this morning was 34.9 mpg.

I'm really pleased with this, my mates E93 BMW M3 was showing an average of 24mpg before the A16 episode! 

Happy with my run up to Shrewsbury this morning.

c73c56744e5ae60233552b747be7f7bf.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Thats not too bad, although the brim to brim measurement will be slight worse.

My last few fill ups have shown an increase and the monthly trend is also encouraging:

Feb - 36.2

Mar - 43.5

Apr - 45.1

May - 46.1

Jun - 46.1

Jul - 49.5

This was my latest tank of fuel. Most of it was gentle motorway miles with a few trips into London. 

Granted, I was really taking the p*ss with the range, especially as it went to 0 miles as I approached the Dartford Bridge...

post-6717-0-91104800-1468414093_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi, I have 12000 kms on my Superb 1.6 120HP. My best return is 74.1 on a 12km run to work. I used the greenscore system to guide me through the gears etc. My average MPG on the same run would be about 55mpg. After a fill yesterday it showed a possible 1090 miles. Anybody else get these figures?

Our trucks sit on the legal limit of ~63 mph and if there isn't a crosswind you get significant improvement within ~ 10 - 15 car lengths.

Our 308 gives ~ 4.5L/100 at 85 but the same 'drafting' at 105.

22K average 5L/100

• 1 month later...

First filled tank gave 54.2mpg on computer, and 51.4 by calculation.

70-80mph motorway plus 50mph M3 roadworks, and slow traffic when 2 idiot artics decide to go side by side up long hill on two lane dual carriageway.......................

Superb S3 2.0 TDi 150 Business estate, manual gearbox, 1115 mls from new. (Tried DSG, hated it............)

Pyotr

• 1 year later...

Sorry if I've missed it, as there is 17 pages on this thread. Can someone tell me the range they're getting on their Superb mk3 190 diesel DSG? I'm trying to do a comparison between my old diesel Octavia VRS and my new Superb Sportline petrol. Thanks :)

4 minutes ago, TomW80 said:

Sorry if I've missed it, as there is 17 pages on this thread. Can someone tell me the range they're getting on their Superb mk3 190 diesel DSG? I'm trying to do a comparison between my old diesel Octavia VRS and my new Superb Sportline petrol. Thanks :)

Over the last 38K miles mine is 50 MPG.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Over the last 38K miles mine is 50 MPG.

Thanks, but I meant the range, like 450 miles, 500 miles etc.

That's good going by the way. i'm guessing you do a lot of motorway miles. I had your car for a weekend test drive and got around 40mpg. I appreciate it was over a short period. And, with mixed driving I got about 42 mpg out of my mk3 Octavia VRS diesel.

Edited by TomW80

1 hour ago, TomW80 said:

Thanks, but I meant the range, like 450 miles, 500 miles etc.

That's good going by the way. i'm guessing you do a lot of motorway miles. I had your car for a weekend test drive and got around 40mpg. I appreciate it was over a short period. And, with mixed driving I got about 42 mpg out of my mk3 Octavia VRS diesel.

Well you know how big your fuel tank is, right? :) It's advertised at 65 litres, but when I've run it down low I've squeezed 70 or so litres into it before now.

65 litres = 14.3 gallons

70 litres = 15.4 gallons

14.3 x 50 = 715

15.4 x 50 = 770

So your theoretical range is, roughly, 715 to 770 miles brim to bone dry at a 50mpg average. :thumbup:  On my 220 I average around 500 miles and my MPG isn't fantastic as I do a lot of local journeys from cold. So I'd expect the difference to be closer to about 150 miles between the two cars on average. If you can drive over 500 miles without needing to stop for a pee (and fuel while you're there), my bladder envies you. :D 

Edited by Rainmaker
Fixed fat-fingered typos.

2 minutes ago, Rainmaker said:

Well you know how big your fuel tank is, right? :) It's advertised at 65 litres, but when I've run it down low I've squeezed 70 or so litres into it before now.

65 litres = 14.3 gallons

79 litres = 15.4 gallons

14.3 x 50 = 715

15.4 x 50 = 770

So your theoretical range is, roughly, 715 to 770 miles brim to bone dry. :thumbup:

14 litres difference....or do you mean 5 litres?.

Just now, Rainmaker said:

Yes, see my edit. You were too fast for me unfortunately... Fat fingers. I meant to say 70. :D 

Tell me about it  :biggrin:

• Haha 1

I was just looking at this before I saw your messages and got 726 miles, based on 66 litre tank. 

So, @Gizmoare you seeing 700 miles from a tank? Again, I'm guessing you do a decent amount of motorway miles. 50mpg is decent, especially as I only have got 42mpg from my 184 VRS diesel. 

@Rainmaker, its good you get 500 miles range. I think you're on the other thread about 220 DSG mpg for figures. I got 450 miles from my first full tank, with relatively conservative driving and a few blasts.

Overall, comparing my diesel Octavia to petrol Superb I can live with the difference in fuel costs. Both had/have a range of around 450 miles on a full tank and after looking at the figures again tonight there's only about £12 cost difference. 

Screenshot_20180308-230418.png

Edited by TomW80

@TomW80  Yes I was on the other thread also. Your car will continue to loosen up and the MPG will climb slowly but surely. As I said on the other thread they tend to suddenly loosen up and relax between 2,000 and 2,500 miles - literally overnight. I swear there's a software switch coded into the ECU for the break in period. You'll get 500+ miles no problem to a tank once run in properly, unless you do mostly short town miles. Even when I do 90+% stop start city journeys from cold, a could of miles each, I'll see >450 miles to a tank easily. Don't worry about it and just enjoy the motor. :thumbup: 

• Like 1

@TomW80 yes I regularly see 700 miles per tankful, I do approx ⅓ of my mileage on dual carriageways, but my commute to work is at silly o’clock (check the time I posted this!) as I’m due to leave in half an hour. 

My my commute home however is usually pretty heavy traffic. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gizmo said:

@TomW80 yes I regularly see 700 miles per tankful, I do approx ⅓ of my mileage on dual carriageways, but my commute to work is at silly o’clock (check the time I posted this!) as I’m due to leave in half an hour. 

My my commute home however is usually pretty heavy traffic. 

Thanks @Gizmo - I appreciate the comparison. In my Octavia I saw 42mpg and 450 miles from a 50 litre tank. It looks like I deal with more traffic than you. 

On the basis I'd gt a similar mpg from a diesel Superb with a 66 litre tank I'd get 594 miles. As a result there's about £7 difference in the cost of driving the 450 mile range of my car between the 190 diesel and 220 petrol. This is with diesel at 120.9 and petrol at 116.7 per litre.

I paid 109.9 per litre for my last fill up and my petrol mpg is creeping up, so I may be able to reduce this further. 

It's never an exact science, but it gives me a guide. 

8 hours ago, Rainmaker said:

@TomW80  Yes I was on the other thread also. Your car will continue to loosen up and the MPG will climb slowly but surely. As I said on the other thread they tend to suddenly loosen up and relax between 2,000 and 2,500 miles - literally overnight. I swear there's a software switch coded into the ECU for the break in period. You'll get 500+ miles no problem to a tank once run in properly, unless you do mostly short town miles. Even when I do 90+% stop start city journeys from cold, a could of miles each, I'll see >450 miles to a tank easily. Don't worry about it and just enjoy the motor. :thumbup: 

I'm getting there, but there's reassurance in the figures. The petrol was an impulse over the diesel, but when I see there's very little in overall costs it's good to know. 

I love the car and it's a bit of an obsession at the moment and part of the fun is getting to know it. 

Thanks again :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonnie5kelso said:

My 150tdi dsg is sitting at 

36.5mpg Since start. 

38mpg Long term. 

39mpg Since refuel. 

I have seen since start at mid 50’s when I’m busy on longer runs. 

I was looking for 190 diesel figures, but it's interesting your 150 is all in the 30's. Thanks.

• Like 1

Had my 190 TDI DSG for about seven weeks now (3,000 miles - bought it ex-demo at 6,900 and just topped 10,000 total). Long-term is showing 51, since start and since refuelling are both showing 55. All are maxi-dot so accept they may be higher than reality. I suspect the improvement I have seen over the last week is because of the improvement in the weather - I was previously seeing just over 50 on the since start / since refuelling numbers. Almost all motorway and fast A road driving. I can regularly see mid thirties when bimbling locally.

• Like 1