Thinking of selling up

mattbvRS

Currently I've got a Fabia vRS SE but I'm itching for something that's a bit more fun.

The way I see it I've two options. Either put a bit of money into tuning the Fabia to get it to where I want or sell it while they are still commanding decent money and get something else, maybe with change, such as a Clio 182 or Civic Type R (I've had one of these in the past and I'm leaning towards one again).

I'm not sure if I want to be spending loads of money on modifying the Fabia, it's already had a remap so it's got quite a bit of poke but I just find it a bit dull to drive. It's nice, refined and brilliant to drive in it's own right it just doesn't set the world on fire for me. I don't get that feeling I used to get with the Type R or some of my previous cars where I see it outside and I just want to drive it for the sake of driving it if that makes any sense.

I love the cost savings from it though, really does cost peanuts to run compared to petrol hot hatches. Which was the reason I got it in the first place but my commute is now very little during the week so I could afford to run something that is a bit thirstier. 

What would you do? My mind is saying keep the Fabia but my heart is saying go for a petrol hot hatch again lol.

Edited by mattbvRS
  • Like 1

If your not happy with a remapped 170bhp say Fabia, I wouldn't suggest spending £1000 on a turbo and intercooler to get it to the 220bhp level or abit more and go for a GTB 260bhp, since then you'll be needing all sort of other things to keep it happy and drivable.

I said if I buy another vrs, I'd put a basic hybrid turbo and a cheap FMIC and be happy around 210bhp, for me I'm now wanting a lancer 10, but with the 2.0 PD Diesel engine and remap that to around 220bhp also, I just hope it's a nicer car than the Fabia!

• Administrators

Of all the cars I've driven in the last few months, the most fun ones are.... older cars. Also a bit scary depending how far back you're going.

I like many I'm sure, enjoy a bit of speed and a bit of serious poke is very handy for overtaking. But honestly jumping between a new mkIII Octy and a MkII to a Mk I the mk1 was a lot more fun, but more fun is older again.

For me fun stacks up when I have to drive. If I needed to go up and down the M1 every day then new, bells, toys add it all on. If i was driving for pleasure, occasionally for work, I'd be looking to older cars now. RIsks and running costs aside of course.

So an older clio makes a lot of sense, not sure the new type R's would for the above. You can have a lot of fun in any car, but of late I've noticed that modern cars really cope with so much that to be having a sense of fun you're probably in 2nd or 3rd and way over the limit.

HTH.

• Like 3

You are in the same boat I was in before I brought my pulsar. I love my little fabia but it was just lacking the fun factor after owning it for a couple of years so I thought what's the point if throwing money at it when I can buy something that's fast to begin with, then spend the money I would've on the fabia making the pulsar better.

Intially I was planning to get rid of the fabia but luckily I'm in a position where I could own both and enjoy the best of both worlds, economy, comfort and a level if refinement in the fabia and a raw, very fun head turning, smile on my face car with plenty of potential and a lovely sounding exhaust note, deep burble on idle but screams once full boost kicks in at 3500 rpm all the way to the redline, they are like chaulk and cheese but both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Good luck with whatever route you go.

I don't think I could just have my VRS as my only car either tbh,as you say they are boring and I can't ever remember looking at mine and thinking I'll go for a drive just for the hell of it :(

But it makes a really good very fast daily driver that easily does double the miles per £ that my old 2ltr petrol 306 Rallye did using it daily.

After driving my kit car it makes the VRS feel really boring ;)

20150827_161542.jpg

Wanna go fast? Get a motorcycle, low running costs, separate NCB, easy storage. Requires self-control and real ability to avoid serious injury and premature licence loss so not suitable for imbeciles.

The only good thing about certain high powered bikes is there engines are perfect for kit cars once they've been dropped! :)

The only good thing about certain high powered bikes is there engines are perfect for kit cars once they've been dropped! :)

That's true too, the hyperbikes are just too extreme for British roads, it's simply not possible to adequately explain the acceleration to the average mouthbreathing scooby doughnut.

The best I can do is imagine riding on a kinetic energy penetrator as it leaves the barrel of a Challenger 2 main battle tank.

Around 100 BHP is the sweet spot, a bit more if you only ever ride on dry roads. Even good kit cars can be easily overpowered by tuned hyperbike lumps, very difficult to enjoy your driving/riding if you're constantly battling having a massive accident.

Edit: A big thumbs up to ColinD, the most fun I've had in cars was probably back in the late 80's & early 90's, the two best hot hatches I owned being my black Pug 205 1.6 GTI and my still sorely missed anthracite Golf Mk. 2 16v (dear god it was thirsty though). I once raced a mystery SWB Quattro sport in pearlescent white on my new GPX750R and it was BRUTALLY fast, I could barely live with it in a straight line let alone the corners.

Edited by sepulchrave

• Administrators

Having just had the joy of being a passenger for a dozen laps and driving it myself for half a dozen laps or so of a damp circuit, I'm sold on driver feedback :) with a few more up to date stopping aid's this would be heaven, in other words an MX5 or kit if you really want driving pleasure ;)

I was made between 1957-1960.
I am powered by a 1,089cc, four-stroke, water cooled, inline four cylinder, OHC.
I produce at best, 92bhp @ 7,700rpm.
I have a Five-speed manual 'Ferrari' layout box.
My suspension is made of Double wishbones with torsion bars and semi-trailing arms and torsion bars on the rear.
My steering is worm and nut.
I claim to stop via hydraulic twin pick up drums all round.
I measure 3,880/ 1,430 / 965mm (l/w/h)
I weigh 550kg
I can get up to 125mph
I manage 20.1mpg

What am I?

post-6-0-83360000-1446935212_thumb.jpg

Well I've ended up chopping in the vRS this weekend!

Test drove quite a few different cars over the past two weeks but settled on a nice tidy Clio 197.

It was the handling and steering feel that sold it for me. It's actually a bit nipper than I thought it would be too which is a bonus, though it did take a bit of adjustment coming from a derv. Not stalled it yet though haha. 

Think you need to go to specsavers because I didn't write 1.2 anywhere, or where you being sarcastic :D  

Knew it wouldn't be to everyone's taste. I assure you the handling on the Clio Sport is far superior to my old vRS, which is exactly what I was looking for in a car. Really is not contest in that regard. 

I'm not a brand whore, I did buy a Skoda after all! It was a good car the vRS and I couldn't fault it in my two years of ownership but it was just a bit boring for me, even mapped - I miss my revs and noise! Hence the change lol. 

Think you need to go to specsavers because I didn't write 1.2 anywhere, or where you being sarcastic :D  

Knew it wouldn't be to everyone's taste. I assure you the handling on the Clio Sport is far superior to my old vRS, which is exactly what I was looking for in a car. Really is not contest in that regard. 

I'm not a brand whore, I did buy a Skoda after all! It was a good car the vRS and I couldn't fault it in my two years of ownership but it was just a bit boring for me, even mapped - I miss my revs and noise! Hence the change lol.

What are you on?

Read it again,slowly without being paranoid.......

The darkness is saying HE has a 1.2 clio and the VRS,hence why his VRS feels exciting ;)

Any ways seen as your a little touchy about your clio, i will just leave it with, i actually like most of their owners .. they really do seem like a decent breed that do some awesome things to their cars ....

5004b346cf6622f8c90ff535aa555ed9

fsherman holding fishing pole 21298589

Edited by FromTheDarkness

Yeah, I just didn't fancy messing about with the vRS too much. I've done all that in the past with modifying cars and I know it can get very expensive to get it the way you want it and there is always something else you can buy lol. 

Of all the cars I've driven in the last few months, the most fun ones are.... older cars. Also a bit scary depending how far back you're going.

I like many I'm sure, enjoy a bit of speed and a bit of serious poke is very handy for overtaking. But honestly jumping between a new mkIII Octy and a MkII to a Mk I the mk1 was a lot more fun, but more fun is older again.

For me fun stacks up when I have to drive. If I needed to go up and down the M1 every day then new, bells, toys add it all on. If i was driving for pleasure, occasionally for work, I'd be looking to older cars now. RIsks and running costs aside of course.

So an older clio makes a lot of sense, not sure the new type R's would for the above. You can have a lot of fun in any car, but of late I've noticed that modern cars really cope with so much that to be having a sense of fun you're probably in 2nd or 3rd and way over the limit.

HTH.

It's true, modern cars cosset you way too much from what's going on, and just aren't involving at legal speeds. I find my 45hp mk2 polo far more fun to drive than the 130hp Ibiza.

Glad your enjoying our new car but why no RS200!? Lol.

My missus had a mk2 1.2 Clio and at town speeds it was ar more fun to drive than my fabia, the body roll, lack of power trying to carry speed through the corner instead of braking and spending the next month trying to get back up to speed lol.

• Like 1